Björk - 'Fossora'

Sia

my bjork ranking (i didn’t wanna do just the top three :fish:) is…

homogenic 

vespertine

medulla  

vulnicura 

debut

biophilia 

utopia

volta

i’m so excited for fossora! the singles haven’t IMMEDIATELY connected with me if i’m being honest but i always think her songs sounds better digested within the album as a whole  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catsandlabneh

• mellenthin

• FlyPirate

• RT Air

41 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

I didn't know 'Vulnicura' had so much love here. :eek: 

Yeah I’m a bit surprised. I think Vulnicura is cute! Stonemilker and History of Touches are so great and career highlights but I find some of the vocal mixing on the album similar to my problems with Utopia. Idk Vulnicura never hit that hard for me and my first Björk era as a stan was Biophilia so…

I firmly believe it can sit in the lower half of the album rankings. Somewhere between 6-9th best!

really not saying anything new bc these seem to be the popular top 3 around here but: homogenic, vespertine, medulla - but in no particular order bc it changes for me constantly depending on the season/my mood.

my top 3

Homogenic

Vespertine

I love how everyone overlooks Debut and Post but they are actually super strong and her most sonically diverse albums.

Edited by SixWholeYears

18 minutes ago, SixWholeYears said:

my top 3

Homogenic

Vespertine

I love how everyone overlooks Debut and Post but they are actually super strong and her most sonically diverse albums.

I'd put Debut 4th in my personal ranking. It's pretty much perfect as an introduction to her as an artist.

2 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

I didn't know 'Vulnicura' had so much love here. :eek: 

I didn't list it in my top three but it's actually my personal favorite and has the most tracks on my main Björk playlist :toofunny3:

I feel that it's not often considered one of her "greatest," in that it's not the same monolithic and singular achievement that her records from Post through Medúlla were, but it's so visceral and raw in its emotions, and so beautiful in its arrangements. Stonemilker is just flat-out incredible, and the rest of the album doesn't ever fall far below. I'm usually going to be springing for Vulnicura if I'm going to listen to her, and usually with a special focus on Stonemilker, Lionsong, and Quicksand.

I think the darkness of it is what makes it truly great, the place it comes from. Stonemilker and the following tracks resonate deeply with me because I've been there; I've been on that side of a relationship with someone who feels closed off, distant, and emotionally unyielding where they didn't at first. I just wonder whether that personal connection clouds my judgment and makes me think of it as better than it really is - but maybe that doesn't matter. Also, until literally days ago, the original album had never truly clicked with me like Vulnicura Strings did, so I'm still navigating my own feelings about it.

Perhaps, for me at least, the reputation of some of her earlier works kind of sucks up all the air in the room when trying to make a top three - what are we even ranking? Our personal favorites? Some objective-leaning "best?" "Greatest" in both quality and ambition/vision?

tl;dr yeah Vulnicura is a moment and deserves special recognition in the Björk canon imo

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

With Ovule it's quite clearer that Fossora is about to be Volta's sister. Are the fagginets ready?

I’m ready and THANKFUL

44 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

I didn't list it in my top three but it's actually my personal favorite and has the most tracks on my main Björk playlist :toofunny3:

I feel that it's not often considered one of her "greatest," in that it's not the same monolithic and singular achievement that her records from Post through Medúlla were, but it's so visceral and raw in its emotions, and so beautiful in its arrangements. Stonemilker is just flat-out incredible, and the rest of the album doesn't ever fall far below. I'm usually going to be springing for Vulnicura if I'm going to listen to her, and usually with a special focus on Stonemilker, Lionsong, and Quicksand.

I think the darkness of it is what makes it truly great, the place it comes from. Stonemilker and the following tracks resonate deeply with me because I've been there; I've been on that side of a relationship with someone who feels closed off, distant, and emotionally unyielding where they didn't at first. I just wonder whether that personal connection clouds my judgment and makes me think of it as better than it really is - but maybe that doesn't matter. Also, until literally days ago, the original album had never truly clicked with me like Vulnicura Strings did, so I'm still navigating my own feelings about it.

Perhaps, for me at least, the reputation of some of her earlier works kind of sucks up all the air in the room when trying to make a top three - what are we even ranking? Our personal favorites? Some objective-leaning "best?" "Greatest" in both quality and ambition/vision?

tl;dr yeah Vulnicura is a moment and deserves special recognition in the Björk canon imo

I am very surprised you're such a Björk fan, I always assumed you were entirely swiftie, and their music isn't very much similar at all, but I find it very interesting and exciting the way you express about Björk's work. I've only heard Björk's discography until 'Vespertine' (which I adore), but I'm willing to continue the journey soon, it's just that she isn't just like other artists, to me, I need to be prepare/be in the mood to enjoy her. When you're into it, it's phenomenal.

25 minutes ago, AndresVanDeKamp said:

I’m ready and THANKFUL

Sorrowful Soil is the Vertebrae by Vertebrae of the album, and Fungal City the Innocence, I just know it, the COLLAPSE

bjork-atopos.gif

Edited by Jeremiah

1 minute ago, Ger-55 said:

I am very surprised you're such a Björk fan, I always assumed you were entirely swiftie, and their music isn't very much similar at all, but I find it very interesting and exciting the way you express about Björk's work. I've only heard Björk's discography until 'Vespertine' (which I adore), but I'm willing to continue the journey soon, it's just that she isn't just like other artists, to me, I need to be prepare/be in the mood to enjoy her. When you're into it, it's phenomenal.

I'm definitely a ride or die Taylor fan always, but I came to Björk in a bit of a weird time and place that has made me bond with her music in a very different way. I didn't get deep into anything from Björk's discography until 2020, in the middle of the first huge wave of pandemic lockdowns while struggling with sudden bleak isolation and a horrific employment situation (on-call responsibilities that ****** hard with my sleep schedule and anxiety). I let myself wander away into the worlds of Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine at that time and just get lost and not think about the world - I even posted a bit about it in her base back then, I think. I enjoy writing from time to time, so I experimented a bit with seeing how those records influenced my own creativity. Since then my interest in her work has waxed and waned in waves, but it was this last week in preparation for Fossora that I finally just said "**** it" and played some of the "scarier" albums I'd avoided from start to finish. It changed my perspective entirely - Medúlla has maybe literally changed my life and Vulnicura, already an emotional release in its Strings form for me, has become my greatest catharsis and emotional outlet for things I otherwise have a hard time expressing. I'm in the middle of falling in love with a discography in a way I've never experienced before. It's so beautiful, not in spite of all the knots and cracks that separate it from the very calculated pop I'm used to, but because of them.

3 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

With Ovule it's quite clearer that Fossora is about to be Volta's sister. Are the fagginets ready?

this fagurt is perched (up on the toe, to be exact)

Edited by marty_xcx

Stonemilker remains one of her best songs EVER. Vulnicura definitely is one of my favorite albums in her discography.

The way Stonemilker is barely scrapping top 5 on Vulva yet it's all you bוtches ever talk about

z0mZhaf.gif

3 minutes ago, theblackestday said:

The way Stonemilker is barely scrapping top 5 on Vulva yet it's all you bוtches ever talk about

z0mZhaf.gif

It's actually the only skip on Vulva.

z0mZhaf.gif

7 minutes ago, Tasty said:

z0mZhaf.gif

It's actually the only slay on Vulva.

z0mZhaf.gif

16 minutes ago, RT Air said:

It's actually the only slay on Vulva.

z0mZhaf.gif

Feeling sorry for you not being able to appreciate VulniGODa, get well soon.

z0mZhaf.gif

50 minutes ago, Tasty said:

z0mZhaf.gif

i've never heard a worse opinion

5 minutes ago, Danixoxo said:

i've never heard a worse opinion

Right?

At least all of this comes out before the rate so we know who to blacklist.

spacer.png

Do you not get tired of constantly ranking the albums? 

ot: Homogenic, Volta and Medúlla

8 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Do you not get tired of constantly ranking the albums? 

ot: Homogenic, Volta and Medúlla

ikr? time to learn that to insist on absolute justice at all times it BLOCKS connection

z0mZhaf.gif