Björk - 'Fossora'

Sia

Just now, Vulnicura said:

I hosted a björk rate back on old ATRL. :chick3:Maybe we should do another. 

YES we should. :jonny6: 

We were talking about it in here a few weeks before release and said that we should wait until Fossora has settled. spacer.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catsandlabneh

• mellenthin

• FlyPirate

• RT Air

9 minutes ago, mellenthin said:

Why does Fossora not have a metacritic page???

Fc-87MeXwA4UVOl?format=jpg&name=900x900

the reviews were too good, it had 101 score and the website glitched 

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

All of these lazy 80 (i.e. 4/5) scores, I-

Ice Cream Skies

their rhetoric probably being like: "it's not perfect, but close to it", and then 4/5 being the closest to 5/5 on their stupid scale

Ice Cream Skies

yes bjork, yes acclaim

little fagurts won

7ZB1qx1.png 

Edited by lovedaddy

5 minutes ago, flower moon said:

I mean let's not be delulus it's not perfect :nicole:

not saying it is, but at least broaden the scale so it's not either 100 or 80 

Ice Cream Skies

pitchfork doing something right for once

Ice Cream Skies

Okay after several listens the album went from interesting with some bops to maybe one of my top 3 Björk albums, maybe top 4, it's up there with Vulnicura definitely.

The six-times punch of Allow-Fungal City-Trolla Gäbba-Freefall-Fossora-Her Mother's House is unmatched.

The song I like the least in the album (besides Trolla Gäbba, which I don't hate but only makes sense in the context of being after Fungal City), I think it's Sorrowful Soil, which it's still a beautiful song. This album doesn't have a "Features Creatures" or a "My Juvenile"

Way better than Utopia, about as good as Vulnicura & Medulla are imo.

Freefall is on Stonemilker's level, absolute stunning and simple. Ancestress and Mother's House are also trinity.

Allow and Victimhood are also great, but they sound like a Utopia and Volta outtake respectively. 

37 minutes ago, mellenthin said:

not saying it is, but at least broaden the scale so it's not either 100 or 80 

Ice Cream Skies

pitchfork doing something right for once

Ice Cream Skies

i just saw the MC thread and i get it now

Ice Cream Skies

Also, do Bjork stans not like Features Creatures? because I recently suddenly started to be seduced by it :redface:

1. Medúlla / Homogenic

2. Vulnicura / Vespertine 

3. Fossora (could go higher but not #1, could tie vulnicura and vespertine tho)

4. Utopia

5. Debut

6. Biophilia

7. Post

8. Volta

Edited by Miracle

27 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

Freefall is on Stonemilker's level, absolute stunning and simple. Ancestress and Mother's House are also trinity.

Allow and Victimhood are also great, but they sound like a Utopia and Volta outtake respectively. 

Really? I think Victimhood gives more Biophilia vibes. Like just change the foghorns and clarinets for pipe organs and you have a better version of Hollow

Edited by Miracle

21 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

It's meant to sound like that 'cause it's exactly what it is.

Anyway, great album as expected. Is this AS good as I was expecting? Probably not. The singles fooled me a little into thinking this would have been her "easiest" record to digest in a VERY long time. It's actually quite intricate, way more than I thought. 

My skips are the Mycelia/Sorrowful Soil combo, I've never been into this kind of Bjork and it's not surprising for me considering I never fully got into Medulla at all, easily her worst record in my unpopular opinion. 

After this boring 1-2 bunch, Ancestress obliterates the entire album until Freefall. Victimhood required multiple plays for me, definitely the least accessible song on the record and I can perfectly see why it was a described as the Body Memory of the record. At the end of the day, it's a bit of drag to sit through it even though the general experience you get from it is at the same time rewarding. Very dark, very Hallow-like.

Allow and Fungal City are in the bops territory for her. Unsurprisingly, the Utopia outtake sounds like the worst mixed track on here but it's very cute and quite catchy for her standards. I like that serpentwithfeet imput on Fungal City isn't as prominent as I was scared it would have been considering my dislike for his voice. 

Trolla-Gabba is a lovely and crazy interlude. The final punch is probably the strongest of the record: it has my absolute highlight, Freefall. Beautiful song, the "if we cling to what we used to be" part is vocally the best of the entire record and it has such a dramatic climax, mixed with the ending that has some of the most interesting production choices of the album. Her Mother's House is a beautiful closer, very delicate and dreamy. It reminded me a bit of The Anchor Song, the lyrics are very touching.

Overall, I'm not sure this ranks higher than Utopia. It has strongest highs IMO but also lower lows. I also think it's probably the least cohesive project she has ever released. It feels like she didn't have a very clear direction musically-wise, and I would have loved for an overall crazier and "gabbier" record, which was she initially hinted. It has a bit of everything in it, which can also be considered as a positive thing when you think that it doesn't over-indulge in the same few ideas repeated throughout the record (like Utopia did).

I'm very satisfied about her going for a diverse sonic palette because otherwise I don't think songs like Freefall would've made the cut or sounded like they do for the sake of being more cohesive

1 minute ago, Invisibility said:

I'm very satisfied about her going for a diverse sonic palette because otherwise I don't think songs like Freefall would've made the cut or sounded like they do for the sake of being more cohesive

Yes, her current mindset of screwing her own rules and let every song breathe on its own is refreshing and it shows. Nonetheless, I think the album is actually quite cohesive

Thinking of this, and considering she recently stated that looking back she would have had songs like Mutual Core follow another direction and instrumentation if only she wasn't so fixated on the concept of the album she was currently making, I wonder if now that she's more open in looking back at her discography there couldn't be a Director's Cut type of album in which she rearranges and reinterprets old songs. I think that could be very interesting 

8 minutes ago, catsandlabneh said:

She keeps eating your honor

20220930-120401.jpg

This picture is unreal. I need it without tags NOW

15 minutes ago, BOAZ said:

Yes, her current mindset of screwing her own rules and let every song breathe on its own is refreshing and it shows. Nonetheless, I think the album is actually quite cohesive

Thinking of this, and considering she recently stated that looking back she would have had songs like Mutual Core follow another direction and instrumentation if only she wasn't so fixated on the concept of the album she was currently making, I wonder if now that she's more open in looking back at her discography there couldn't be a Director's Cut type of album in which she rearranges and reinterprets old songs. I think that could be very interesting 

Biophillia (Bjork's Version) [From the Cosmos] incoming :worship2: