Björk - 'Fossora'

Sia

39 minutes ago, Raptus said:

If Fossora and Vulnicura had came out on the same day no one would dare to say Fossora is the better album. People say that because they  overplayed Vulnicura and Fossora is new and fresh. Stonemilker, Black lake, Notget>>>>>>Fossora (album)

I have yet to hear the full album, but I just have to chime in here - I prefer Ancestress, even after repeated plays, to anything on Vulnicura, even Stonemilker. I’m not going to be surprised if I end up preferring Fossora as a whole to Vulnicura. And this is a good thing - even if not everyone agrees, it’s beautiful that she can be ten albums deep and over thirty years into her career and still putting out material that some people think is on par with her best records. It’s especially true with this discography - arguably the best in the overarching pop space, in my opinion. Vulnicura, whether better or worse than Fossora, was something I thought would be a one-off as I’ve gotten deeper into her work in the past month, in that I thought it would be the last hurrah of the “old Björk” and her other post-Medúlla work wouldn’t quite live up to her 1995-2004 stretch. Everything I’ve heard from Fossora suggests that I was, to my delight, deeply wrong in that assumption.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catsandlabneh

• mellenthin

• FlyPirate

• RT Air

I löök up at the trrree töps
I will brrraid thöse twigs tögetherrr
Crrreate a cathedrrral ceiling aböve me
Höw I löng tö flöat in the mid airrr
Between the brrranches

Amöngst impössible magic

album] Sabrina Carpenter - 'Emails I Can't Send' - Page 33 - Music - ATRL

*skipped singles for full experience, on my timezone streaming...*

on 'Victimhood' atm, so far 'Ancestress' is level above everything else and best single by far. lovely production as always, back to listening... 7ZB1qx1.png

EDIT: top 3 first run for me: ancestress, freefall, and her mother's house, i like this more than medulla but not more than vulnicura. would i come back more? 'fungal city' is trashy bop i needed so yes... :gayorkcat3:

Edited by Polgg48

Björk is so talented that everyone has different favorites, get a grip

Even the albums at the bottom of my personal album rankings I still very much respect

2 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

Björk is so talented that everyone has different favorites, get a grip

Even the albums at the bottom of my personal album rankings I still very much respect

Agreed - I don’t really use Volta, Biophilia, or Utopia, personally, and still recognize their quality.

homogenic, vespertine, medulla and vulnicura are untouchable at this point...like they are all classics in my book, so comparing fossora to them is a bit too early but yeah I think we can all agree that this turned out way better than we all expected and proved that Björk is still an insane musical genius and knows how to make things fresh and ahead of their time, as she's pushing 60 and I'm insanely proud and happy for listening to this record :gaycat7:

Mycelia is like crack to my ears, but Medulla is also one of my favourite albums.

Sorrowful Soil is absolutely gorgeous. Also sounds like a top tier Medulla track. Björk & choirs always do it for me. 

my careful, early ranking 7ZB1qx1.png

atopos > ancestress > sorrowful soil

> allah > ovule > mycelia > fossora

> victimhood > freefall > fungal city

> mother goose > trolla fa-gga > fagurT

Edited by Dragonfly

36 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Agreed - I don’t really use Volta, Biophilia, or Utopia, personally, and still recognize their quality.

Me, but with Debut, Volta, and Utopia. Biophilia is really good to me, and was one of, if not the first, Bjork album I've ever listened to (genuinely cannot remember if I listened to Bio or Homogenic first)

Did my first listen this morning at work and it clicked so immediately for me. I’ve loved all of the singles so I was expecting it to connect and she actually surprised me! I’ve been a stan since Biophilia and for whatever reason Vulnicura and Utopia did not hit as hard as I would have hoped. Like others have said, I was kind of content with the idea that we’d never hear something from her as interesting as the Medúlla and before albums but I think I this is a step in the right direction! Sure, we still get a lot of the monotonous melodies that appeared on  all her albums since Biophilia, but here they are complimented by the return of beats that have been missing for a while (for me at least). Obviously need more time to digest it but I’m very happy that she’s consistently and constantly trying new things and it’s true that no two albums are the same. She really does know how to leave the sounds of the previous album in the past and just explore and entirely new soundscape. Slay!

I do wish there was one more track that went full gabber rave at the end like atopos and the title track but that’s a pretty minor complaint 

and pretty only one because Bjork h hyped this the album up as such! 

I've listened to it once and I can already tell this will be one of my favourite albums by her -- possibly my absolute favourite, which feels crazy to say. Everything just clicks IMO (except the weird cut on fagurt). There's a haunting beauty to these tracks, perfectly encapsulated by Her Mother's House, which gave me chills.

I'm a Utopia apologist but that album felt like it got somewhere stuck in between Arca's world and Björk's never fully belonging to either one. It houses some of my favourite songs, but also felt uncharacteristically messy sometimes. Fossora is the most assured she's sounded since Medulla I think, a creative genius at the top of her game, constructing soundscapes out of this world. I know no music that sounds like this, yet it also feels very lived and humane, very of the flesh if that somehow makes sense.

Fungal City, Ancestress and Her Mother's House is my temporary trinity, but i can't wait for each song to unfold.

I love that this album rewards you for listening to it in full. It's always changing (even within 1 song) and you're waiting for the next switch. The fact that 2nd half of album is kinda stronger helps this album too. Maybe Utopia would work too with different tracklist (cause after Losss it's going nowhere).
I love that title track is the centre piece and culmination of the whole album. Tracklist is really perfect here. The only meh moment in my opinion is Mycelia + Sorrowful Soil but it comes right after strong singles and followed by the third one so it still works.
Love this album so much. I'm always ready to drag my faves but Fossora sounds like a 95 or even 100 to me.

really great album, her best in a long time but not on the same level as her first 4

my only complaint would be that she didn't have 1 or 2 more gabber songs saved for the album

Ugh I just read the previous few pages and the reviews here are tempting me to listen to this album BUT I've never listened to a full body of work from Björk before :chick2: Do you guys think Fossora would be a good start? 

Debut is lowkey her worst, maybe in competition with Volta... everything else in her discography is 10/10, with Vespertine and Vulnicura being 11/10

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

wait, just realised that from Medulla onwards all of her albums end with A

MedullA

VoltA

BiophiliA

VulnicurA

UtopiA

FossorA

B11: ------A?

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

5 minutes ago, Bingo said:

Ugh I just read the previous few pages and the reviews here are tempting me to listen to this album BUT I've never listened to a full body of work from Björk before :chick2: Do you guys think Fossora would be a good start? 

As a start, probably not! Debut and Post are her most pop-leaning, accessible albums in her discography. If you enjoy those, then continue onwards chronologically in her discography - it only gets more interesting!

2 minutes ago, Vulnicura said:

As a start, probably not! Debut and Post are her most pop-leaning, accessible albums in her discography. If you enjoy those, then continue onwards chronologically in her discography - it only gets more interesting!

Alright, I'll start with them. Thank you! :heart2: