Hot take: Bjork actually sucks, why?

fauxtography

Question for the culture  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Bjork sucks y/n

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't say she sucks, but every album she released from Volta in 2007 until Utopia was trash and I expect her next project to be bad also. Prior to Volta she had one of the best discographies by any artist imo 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fauxtography

• mellenthin

• Yog

• flower moon

so basically the thesis statement of the OP is “i personally don’t like Björk’s music, so therefore she’s objectively garbage and her influence on music is non-existent because i’m personally refusing to acknowledge it.”:rip: am i understanding this correctly?

10 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

because she has 0 actual talent and just tries to be as avant garde and experimental as possible to cover it up and charli xcx gays eat it up

She is way more talented than most of ATRL's faves

Post is actually her worst album and one of the least melodious outside of a few of the singles :giraffe:

• Like 1

Just now, alejandreaux said:

so basically the thesis statement of the OP is “i personally don’t like Björk’s music, so therefore she’s objectively garbage and her influence on music is non-existent because i’m personally refusing to acknowledge it.”:rip: am i understanding this correctly?

yes

bjork-fighting.gif

To be fair, a hot take is an opinion piece. I'm not claiming to be the rural juror of music - i mean, I listen to Kpop so I'm not leading by example anyways.

i’ve never listened to her music but i listened to the songs the OP posted and my god… they are AWFUL :rip:

10 minutes ago, Price of Fame said:

thankfully you'll all be dead soon while bjork's music will live on forever 

:deadbanana4:

1 minute ago, fentypark said:

i’ve never listened to her music but i listened to the songs the OP posted and my god… they are AWFUL :rip:

yeah, and it aint getting any better than those :rip:

You're entitled to dislike her/her music but making a thread to display such poor taste and bitterness is both sad and embarrassing. Also, none of your "points" are true.

1. I don't know how you bash Homogenic calling it "tuneless" or "unmelodic," blaming your preconceived idea of it on the gorgeous Jóga, when there's many other tracks, beyond the experimental beats and composition, in the album with a similar orchestral/electronic production, such as Unravel, All Is Full Of Love, and even Hunter and Bachelorette.

2. She is highly influential, actually a trailblazer and innovator for electronic music.

3. Post is her most accessible album, it has the most pop hooks and the friendlier production in her catalog. But not leaning on pop doesn't make her other albums any less listenable. Debut is as digestible, and Homegenic and Vespertine are not as commercial but not harsh by any means. I can agree others, like Medúlla and Biophilia, could be hard to get into, but no one is forcing anyone.

Björk's music is largely known as unconventional, so it's truly pointless when someone comes rioting considering her trash, because we know she's not for everyone.

Edited by Jeremiah

You spilled :clap3: I've been saying it's unlistenable noise and complete indie-try-hard gay fodder. 

11 minutes ago, charot said:

Buut but aCcLaiM!!11 and listening to her makes you cool and edgy.

that’s actually the reason why i tried listening in the first place :ahh: but if i have to torture myself to get through her songs then id rather be “lame with no taste”

Here's a cute homosexual deep cut, it's a good example of why I enjoy hër müsic

17 minutes ago, outoftime said:

She is way more talented than most of ATRL's faves

But that’s not saying much :skull: 

26 minutes ago, Protocol said:

It takes talent to make interesting, experimental music, but people who only listen to basic teen pop wouldn't get it

A8466FE1-092C-4B86-A845-75E367A5B49A.thu

but it takes talent to make actually listenable music, something bjork hasn’t achieved outside of 2 songs 

29 minutes ago, Egon Schiele said:

Nah, you're just into more easy listening pop, which is fine, and you're entitled to your wrong opinion :lakitu:

And Vespertine is her best album :gaycat4:

ebony-jenkins.gif

I always wanted to get into her because some friends always praise her but have never given a chance yet. Now this thread makes me want confirm if she’s really that bad. Coming back in a few minutes 

8 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

yes

bjork-fighting.gif

To be fair, a hot take is an opinion piece. I'm not claiming to be the rural juror of music - i mean, I listen to Kpop so I'm not leading by example anyways.

got it, at least you’re willing to admit it

bjork-fighting.gif

although i disagree with the influence section (i don’t think it’s really up for debate, Björk is well-documented as being one of the most influential artists of the 90’s), i understand everyone’s music isn’t for everybody. you have no obligation to like her whatsoever, and you have the right to carry on dragging her from your personal perspective if you see fit. i’ll see myself out

bjork-fighting.gif

13 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

You're entitled to dislike her/her music but making a thread to display such poor taste and bitterness is both sad and embarrassing. Also, none of your "points" are true.

1. I don't know how you bash Homogenic calling it "tuneless" or "unmelodic," blaming your preconceived idea of it on the gorgeous Jóga, when there's many other tracks, beyond the experimental beats and composition, in the album with a similar orchestral/electronic production, such as Unravel, All Is Full Of Love, and even Hunter and Bachelorette.

2. She is highly influential, actually a trailblazer and innovator for electronic music.

3. Post is her most accessible album, it has the most pop hooks and the friendlier production in her catalog. But not leaning on pop doesn't make her other albums any less listenable. Debut is as digestible, and Homegenic and Vespertine are not as commercial but not harsh by any means. I can agree others, like Medúlla and Biophilia, could be hard to get into, but no one is forcing anyone.

Björk's music is largely known as unconventional, so it's truly pointless when someone comes rioting considering her trash, because we know she's not for everyone.

Geez, guess I shoulda just made a “Taylor swift biggest streaming giant” thread. :rip:

youre wrong. i used to dislike her voice but one time it just clicked and ive listening to her ever since, i agree her stans are annoying, but shes truly one of the biggest alternative artists out there and shes a big influence to artists even now. i mean the swan dress alone

West Coast

3 minutes ago, alejandreaux said:

got it, at least you’re willing to admit it

bjork-fighting.gif

although i disagree with the influence section (i don’t think it’s really up for debate, Björk is well-documented as being one of the most influential artists of the 90’s), i understand everyone’s music isn’t for everybody. you have no obligation to like her whatsoever, and you have the right to carry on dragging her from your personal perspective if you see fit. i’ll see myself out

bjork-fighting.gif

I mean, I’m sure she influenced someone. You probably wouldn’t have ionna lee without bjork, but I really don’t hear her in modern music. :monkey:

Hyperballad, Joga, All is Full of Love and several other tracks disagree! 

But yeah, a lot of her discography is more than I’m willing to sit through nn

Just because she doesn't make formulaic pop music, it doesn't mean it sucks. 

Those who dare to try new things and push the limits of creativity should be commended, not denigrated

Edited by Oceania

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.