Is this just a Northern Europe thing?

Symmetra

I'm honestly shocked :skull: Would never happen in Poland.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• magazine

• Demi Lovato

• ariananext

stop being poor sis. 

that said the dutch peoples is stingy as **** :deadbanana4:

31 minutes ago, Saljju said:

It's not about being poor chile, it's just considered impolite in some cultures 

Come over hun, got some pickled hering, gherkins and red beets. Let's feast! :WAP:

My Swedish pal cooked some fishes

Said to me, "go starve or go home"

I still stayed and even did the dishes

Cause I had no where else to roam

venus.thumb.jpeg.a9f82f6304cc027529fe30f

I saw that and was honestly shocked :deadbanana4:

Being Greek I cannot relate at all :duck: My friend’s mom always serves me a whole damn buffet every time I visit them — and she won’t leave me alone until I’m completely full :deadbanana4:

Didn't even Know there is something like that :rip: the embarrassment I would feel if that happened from my side of Europe

and Im from the poor countries there :dies:

This is completely unthinkable to me in my culture, you’d never leave my house not fully fed.

That being said, something similar happened to me once in the US (in New Jersey… nothing like this would ever happen in the South or other parts of the US)… I was visiting a white girl whose family kind of reminded me of the white family from Get Out and they ate by themselves while I didn’t even realize what was going on. I was so shocked because it would be considered so rude in my culture, anyway I never went back :rip:

I was just reading that thread too and I was appalled as someone from a family where my mum would drag me if I didn't offer my friends food once they were inside the house. The thought of leaving a friend in my room and going to eat dinner is just...insane. I'd rather wait until they left or something :skull: 

And apparently reading the thread it's not just food too, they seem stingy with other stuff.

It's kind of strange that despite that they're willing to contribute (tax wise) to things that are for the greater good. Meanwhile, more "generous" places like America have the inverse problem, nice to guests, but less willing to contribute to things that offer social welfare.

Lmao not them inviting a child to play and sleep at their house without not only feeding him for dinner but not feeding him breakfast too??? :deadbanana2: he must've been starving

my country is dark blue on the map :celestial4:

Hyper-individualism is a disease. :cm:

I'm from Sweden, and this is TRUE :ahh: 

At least when I was a child. Obviously some families offered dinner etc, but there wasn't much of a surprise when they didn't. :deadbanana4: 

3 hours ago, dussel_06 said:

Mess. It’s so different from our asian culture. Here, it’s rude not to offer food. It’s even common courtesy to offer your food just for the sake of offering either it’s a meal of a snack. You should always be willing to share your food. (of course you’re expecting them to refuse the offer).

Maybe because northern europeans only cook exact quantities for a number of people? We filipinos cook a lot more than we consume so we could eat the leftovers on the next meal.

This

Everytime I go to my friend's house, their family always offer me food or at least some snacks and vice versa. Even when I already ate beforehand, they also offer me food to take home

So it's kinda wild to me that somewhere people didn't even offer their houseguest some food especially when their guest stay at their home :deadbanana4:

20 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Lmao not them inviting a child to play and sleep at their house without not only feeding him for dinner but not feeding him breakfast too??? :deadbanana2: he must've been starving

The houseguest must prepare some money for Uber food when they stay at their friend's home from now on :deadbanana4:

Edited by Mr. Blue_Shirt

As a swede I've never experienced this, I've always been offered food and my parents have always done the same. That said, I'm not too surprised at this as we can be pretty stingy :rip:

3 hours ago, dussel_06 said:

You should always be willing to share your food. (of course you’re expecting them to refuse the offer).

in my Asian country, if we offer to share food, we won't expect them to refuse, but if we're the one that's being offered the food, we would expect ourselves to refuse the offer :toofunny3:

3 minutes ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

in my Asian country, if we offer to share food, we won't expect them to refuse, but if we're the one that's being offered the food, we would expect ourselves to refuse the offer :toofunny3:

It’s a courtesy thing. In the Philippines, if you are eating something (either a snack or a meal) and someone you know passes by or arrived at your home, you should always say the words “hey, do you want some?” Or “let’s eat”. But you’re not expecting them to say yes of course. Lol

3 hours ago, Symmetra said:

Uhm this is not true at all, I’m Scandinavian and have never experienced this

42 minutes ago, dussel_06 said:

It’s a courtesy thing. In the Philippines, if you are eating something (either a snack or a meal) and someone you know passes by or arrived at your home, you should always say the words “hey, do you want some?” Or “let’s eat”. But you’re not expecting them to say yes of course. Lol

Same here in Italy! When someone walks in you always ask them to join, and they'll reply "buon appetito!" which is like have a good meal.

Ew. I hate this. NOTHING worse than stingy behavior and I have dropped friends for this.

3 hours ago, Demi Lovato said:

I’m north so it might be different in the south side! I expected it to be worse south though 

I'm from Northern Germany as well and this never happened to me. :deadbanana: My friend's parents would always invite me to eat with them and my parents would do the same.

As an adult I feel bad every time a friend comes over for one afternoon and I only serve them cheap cake from Lidl because I can't really bake :skull:

I can't talk about the rest of Europe, but in Manchester I've never heard of this happening. It's incredibly rude to invite somebody over to your house and eat without them. :rip:

2 hours ago, Kavish said:

My Swedish pal cooked some fishes

Said to me, "go starve or go home"

I still stayed and even did the dishes

Cause I had no where else to roam

venus.thumb.jpeg.a9f82f6304cc027529fe30f

omg this seems so rude:bibliahh:

i dont think i could be friends with these type of people:deadbanana2: and idc its a usual thing in their country, so mean:rip:

As a German I'm shocked. Never happened to me or my friends. People would be ashamed.

In Portugal I don’t think this would EVER happen. :rip:

It’s actually kind of the opposite where you invite someone over and offer everything and more :rip: it’s rude in our culture to not offer food to our guests. 

In some places, if you show up uninvited, we will cook extra food for you. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.