Is this just a Northern Europe thing?

Symmetra

I kinda doubt it's a culture thing, it really depends on the family. I've experienced both growing up and I don't really find it that weird, I think when they don't offer you food it's usually because they didn't want/expect you to be there by the time they eat dinner, cause it's like a family thing :deadbanana2:

I feel bad remembering the amount of times I ate at my best friends home because I'd stay there all day and they were too kind not to offer anything :deadbanana4:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• magazine

• Demi Lovato

• ariananext

Northern Europe is so weird and unfriendly. Strange how many have such a superiority complex :skull: 

My boyfriend became friends with this Swedish girl online through a shared hobby and when he was in Sweden she invited him to visit her for a day. My bf said she was nice but pretty quiet in person and then a few weeks later she told him they weren’t actually friends just acquaintances and when he replied “then why did you invite me to stay at your house?” she blocked him :skull: 

Edited by Beyonnaise

23 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Northern Europe is so weird and unfriendly. Strange how many have such a superiority complex :skull: 

My boyfriend became friends with this Swedish girl online through a shared hobby and when he was in Sweden she invited him to visit her for a day. My bf said she was nice but pretty quiet in person and then a few weeks later she told him they weren’t actually friends just acquaintances and when he replied “then why did you invite me to stay at your house?” she blocked him :skull: 

:bibliahh: what the hell

4 hours ago, BadMonster said:

Total BS. From the south of the Netherlands and pretty much everyone always asks you if you want to stay for dinner (unless maybe someone suddenly drops by unannounced with their entire family, you can't expect people to cook for an additional four to six people out of the blue when they had no idea you were coming). Might be a bit different for people from the west and the north of the country, they have really different customs when it comes to food at funerals/weddings etc too, but not sure.

I'm from the center of the country and I would never eat without my guests. Like it's custom to leave around diner time usually but to invite one over and not give them any food :skull:

7 hours ago, Legacy said:

Not sure why Northern France is in pink. They'll give you food.

Yeah, Parisians love to entertain in general, that include offering drinks and food

The propaganda. :hoetenks: This kind of jokes is always written by non-natives who never gotten invited to a slumber party held by some white family. 

This discourse being everywhere on the internet is so funny to me :dies: North Europeans being the only people in the whole world to do this :deadbanana2:

17 minutes ago, *Tim said:

I'm from the center of the country and I would never eat without my guests. Like it's custom to leave around diner time usually but to invite one over and not give them any food :skull:

I guess it's a northern thing. I live in Groningen btw. My roommate had a guest over and he invited everyone over for dinner at home. They cooked pasta with veggies and salmon. I kid you not, the next day I receive a tikkie of 3,50 (how did they calculate it?) from an unknown number on whatsapp. Turns out it was the roommate's friend that cooked the meal. The other two roommates who attended dinner received one as well. 

2 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

It seems like she fell in love with your boyfriend and was disappointed it wasn't how she expected :rip:

58 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

I guess it's a northern thing. I live in Groningen btw. My roommate had a guest over and he invited everyone over for dinner at home. They cooked pasta with veggies and salmon. I kid you not, the next day I receive a tikkie of 3,50 (how did they calculate it?) from an unknown number on whatsapp. Turns out it was the roommate's friend that cooked the meal. The other two roommates who attended dinner received one as well. 

Ksksksksk :deadbanana4: not them counting down to every single penny like is it that serious mama :skull: 

1 minute ago, Bloodflowers. said:

It seems like she fell in love with your boyfriend and was disappointed it wasn't how she expected :rip:

She had a husband who my bf said was way friendlier and they ended up getting along better. They all worked on a photography shoot while they were together, so my bf thinks she saw it as more of a business thing, which might make sense but she treated him like a friend up until she randomly decided not to :skull: 

1 hour ago, Pendulum said:

:ahh: 

Wow, this a thing? 

In the states, families will gladly make more food if guests are over and send you home with a full stomach. 

i'm from north-western germany and my parents always made sure my friends went home before dinner which was always at 6 pm. you were not allowed to stand up, look at your phone or read the newspaper or something like that during dinner ... der stahlhelm bleibt auf beim essen

visiting me is different of course

2 hours ago, Pendulum said:

...these kind of people are the reason why penny jars where invented. :cm: 

Latina moms will feed you until you explode :jonnycat:

weird, i didn't know about this. i'm Slavic living in the UK and if i know i'll have someone over i usually buy some snacks and drinks for us beforehand. i've never really had anyone over for dinner (other than my ex but that doesn't count, he wasn't really a normal guest was he) but if i did i would gladly feed them for free as my guest. 

even if it's a spontaneous visit i try to offer at least whatever i have. once i get my own place and have more space i plan to have a cupboard dedicated to visits full of snacks, biscuits, coffee, tea and things like that, i don't want to be known as a lousy host! 

11 hours ago, Aren said:

that his mom never said ‘I love you’ to him and that he never hugged his grandparents.

my Slavic family is exactly like this too lmao, i don't mind it though. words of affirmation and physical touch are not the only love languages out there 

2 hours ago, Arthoe said:

...these kind of people are the reason why penny jars where invented. :cm: 

the absolute nerve to come INTO MY HOUSE to cook food and then charge me money for that? :deadbanana2: my dumbass ended up paying the 3.50 cause she was a sweet girl and would've wanted to avoid any potential confortations with my roommate

I could NOT image this happening in my Eastern European household :rip: 

i can't even say it's an individualism vs collectivism thing cause it's only a scandinavian issue apparently :skull: 

where is that one member who used to be obsessed with scandinavian countries and make endless threads about the utopia that is scandinavia 

5 hours ago, Pendulum said:

Yeah, I studied in the Netherlands for 6 months and I remember our mentor/professor took us for a cup of coffee and then asked everyone the exact amount they drank when the tab came. It was really awkward. And every dutch person was like that.

This is very much common for white and some asain families from what I know.

Guests that aren't officially invited are treated like visitors at the museum. :rip:

I guess it depends on the person and who's house you go to. I'm from Scotland and have had instances where a friend would feed me and encourage me to eat, other times as well when they would indicate they were about to have dinner and it was very much a signal that it was time to leave.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.