Is this just a Northern Europe thing?

Symmetra

im honestly surprised I didn’t know it was a thing to invite people over and not feed them :deadbanana2:. Does this happen in your country?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• magazine

• Demi Lovato

• ariananext

• ATRL Moderator

i saw this on twitter earlier and this surprised me as an american. if i was over at a friend's house, they'd feed me and give leftovers to take home too :deadbanana:

I was so shocked when I read this :biblio: in Brazil it's OFFENSIVE to not offer food to your guests

a damn mess if true :skull: maybe they think it is more polite not to feed you so you dont get fat? or is it because they dont know if u r allergic to something? idk ... :rip: 

In Germany it does happen sometimes, stingy and greedy people, don’t think it’s everyone though

sometimes they give you 50 cents so u can use the restroom and ask for it back although you been giving them **** for free all the time

It’s not just food it’s the general culture btw if you come from a social country and move to Germany you will become suicidal

I'm not gonna force you to feed me if I'm a guest at your house, but if you let me alone in a room while you're downstairs eating, well, that's f+cked up. :deadbanana4:

Edited by Blade Runner

Bless the Mediterranean. 

I guess that's why they're so wealthy tho.

Edited by tost1

btw...on that map...do they mean like they wont even offer you simple tea and biscuits :skull: I'm just baffled...cuz like apparently even British culture it seems like they won't give you NOTHING based on the color map (which of course the map is not perfect because I am sure immigrant communities feed their guests) :rip: 

Edited by IBeMe

Unfortuantelly, Northern Europeans have awful food so no one wants to eat it and there is no culture of sharing food with guests.

9 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

btw...on that map...do they mean like they wont even offer you simple tea and biscuits :skull: I'm just baffled...cuz like apparently even British culture it seems like they won't give you NOTHING based on the color map (which of course the map is not perfect because I am sure immigrant communities feed their guests) :rip: 

No it's mostly dinner, if you're a kid playing at another kid's house, you're expected to leave around 6 PM (as your parents also expect you to be home around that time). Dinner at home is often considered a family-only kind of thing in the Netherlands, unless it's a special occasion and you are invited beforehand to a dinner party or barbecue.

dhfjsj it's true ? It never happened to me but I have heard stories about it. But usually the mom/dad will just be like '...we're having dinner now' and then you're expected to leave

Mess. It’s so different from our asian culture. Here, it’s rude not to offer food. It’s even common courtesy to offer your food just for the sake of offering either it’s a meal of a snack. You should always be willing to share your food. (of course you’re expecting them to refuse the offer).

Maybe because northern europeans only cook exact quantities for a number of people? We filipinos cook a lot more than we consume so we could eat the leftovers on the next meal.

Definitely a Scandinavian thing. They’re are extremely individualistic and never express their feelings. One of the reasons I broke up with my ex, who’s Swedish. I was horrified when he told me that his parents basically expelled him from home as soon as he turned 18, that his mom never said ‘I love you’ to him and that he never hugged his grandparents.

This seems so rude even though I live in a country where it’s kind of normal. I grew up with my grandparents and my grandma would always offer my friends food and snacks. I couldn’t ever invite anyone round now without offering them something.

Edited by Robert

The more southern you go in Germany, the more likely it is that you'll get fed. Like... where I live, not feeding your guest would be UNHEARD of. Maybe city people are different, but everybody is getting fed in the countryside. :rip: 

Edited by Arthoe

I can confirm. My family always offered food but when I went over to play at a friend’s, I’ve been asked to leave at dinner time. Dinner time is considered family time. 

11 minutes ago, Arthoe said:

The more southern you go in Germany, the more likely it is that you'll get fed. Like... where I live, not feeding your guest would be UNHEARD of. Maybe city people are different, but everybody is getting fed in the countryside. :rip: 

This would never happen where I live as well. :psyduck:

I was surprised to see this. Would never happen in either of my countries - Greece and Australia 

51 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

A lot of people would just go home when it hits dinner time but you would definitely be offered a drink/snack and I’ve never been asked or known anyone expected to just wait in their friend’s room whilst they eat.

16 minutes ago, Arthoe said:

4 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

This would never happen where I live as well. :psyduck:

I’m north so it might be different in the south side! I expected it to be worse south though 

This never happened to me with people who’s parents immigrated outside of Germany though, only with true GERMAN people and it was only a handful times so maybe 20% of Germans here? Idk we like to call them “Almans”

That didn’t happen to me when I visited my Swedish friend and her family in Karlstad. In fact they would encourage me to eat more and not hesitate to ask if I wanted something else 

Edited by Halcyon Days

1 minute ago, Demi Lovato said:

Idk we like to call them “Almans”

d8bd6d1dae077fe2d17c406225f49a5aa59c609f

8 minutes ago, Demi Lovato said:

I’m north so it might be different in the south side! I expected it to be worse south though 

I'm in Hessen, and I would never expect that to happen here. What in God's name is happening in the north? When I'm a guest at anybody's house, the coffee and cake come out almost immediately. :coffee:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.