What do you think caused Christina Aguilera's downfall?

JuanXito

1 minute ago, Robyn. said:

Mariah had already released 7 SMASH albums when she got to Glitter though, Christina was on her like 4th album when she bombed with Bionic? :rip: 

Christina's long breaks between albums is what makes you think she had such a long career but she didn't. :skull: 

She did not have 7 smash albums :rip: especially not when Rainbow was shaky and Glitter was her 7th album that bombed :rip:

You’re acting like Christina only had a few years of success from her debut and then took a break until Bionic and bombed, but she had successful albums and hits after that and even had a Top 10 single 2 years before Bionic

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• brainmaniac

• BionicWooHoo

• dirrtydiana

1 minute ago, brainmaniac said:

She did not have 7 smash albums :rip: especially not when Rainbow was shaky and Glitter was her 7th album that bombed :rip:

You’re acting like Christina only had a few years of success from her debut and then took a break until Bionic and bombed, but she had successful albums and hits after that and even had a Top 10 single 2 years before Bionic

I mean I guess he phrased it wrong but you get what he was saying. :rip: 

If you count Christina's years of activity when she was somewhat successful then it amounts to a handful of years in fact.

You saying Christina only flopped 11 years into her career is definitely misleading because she had a 3 and 4 year break between projects, it's not comparable to Mariah who kept on releasing albums every 2 years for the first decade of her career.

7 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

I mean I guess he phrased it wrong but you get what he was saying. :rip: 

If you count Christina's years of activity when she was somewhat successful then it amounts to a handful of years in fact.

You saying Christina only flopped 11 years into her career is definitely misleading because she had a 3 and 4 year break between projects, it's not comparable to Mariah who kept on releasing albums every 2 years for the first decade of her career.

But if it seems uneven to compare their flops because of their different rate of releases, then it’s just as uneven to compare their success because of their rate of releases  

Basically every pop artist will have some album bomb by their 10th year, if not earlier. The threshold is based on age for women, not amount of albums

You can’t expect Christina or any artists with her release pattern to have some uninterrupted streak of albums as big as those released in their prime well after their prime and in their 30s and even in her near 40s.

Her own career choices. Since she gave birth to her first child her priorities have shifted and that's that. No one can stay atop of the charts forever. The pop industry is constantly recycling itself. The same way Christina "snatched" the place of pop veterans when she came out, she was then "taken down" by the newcomers of the late 00s/early 10s, those girls are now struggling to keep up with the new generation of pop artists and this cycle goes on and on.

The way some users always go the extra mile to discredit everything Xtina's done never fails to amuse me. Fine if you weren't around when she peaked but a quick Google research would do no harm. 

That one stan saying Mariah had to prove her success is not due to Tommy, hmm. I mean people have ears.

OT: In my opinion, Xtina isn't cool or cute to many pop fans after her successful eras. She's really talented tho, but she also acts like she's more talented than she actually is. Idk 

Personally, she is destined to fall by the time she released Stripped. While successful, Stripped pretty much eliminated the public support she had build with her Self Titled. It is also the time the  media started to turn against her. By the time Bionic was released, the record company already had other priorities and her fandom had already stagnated. It doesn't help that she also has an openly negative reception from the industry AND the 2008-2010 period is a time that new superstar emerged.

5 hours ago, Terylee said:

The "long breaks" argument isn't even true. It's just an excuse.

Reflection

Genie in a Bottle
What a Girl Wants

The Christmas Song

I Turn to You
Come On Over Baby
Ven Conmigo
Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti
Nobody Wants to Be Lonely
Lady Marmalade
Falsas Esperanzas

El Ultimo Adios (The Last Goodbye)

What's Going On

Dirrty
Beautiful

Fighter
Can't Hold Us Down
The Voice Within

Car Wash
Tilt Ya Head Back

-

Ain't No Other Man
Hurt
Tell Me
Somos Novios (It's Impossible)

Candyman
Oh Mother/Slow Down Baby

Keeps Gettin' Better

-

Not Myself Tonight
You Lost Me

Show Me How You Burlesque
Express
Castle Walls
Moves Like Jagger
Your Body

The Prayer
Say Something
We Remain
Feel This Moment
Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti

-

The Real Thing

Shotgun

Change
Telepathy

-
Accelerate
Fall In Line

Haunted Heart
Fall On Me

Loyal Brave True
Reflection (2020)

Pa Mis Muchachas

Santo

Some are no real singles but it still doesn't look like "long breaks" between albums for me. She always had some kind of output. The only years she released no songs are  2005, 2009, 2014 and 2017.

Oh this is actually a new perspective for me

never realized she has Been giving her fans music lol

I am wondering now if Britney had more breaks, since I always felt sad for the Fighters for not getting music :deadbanana2:

even so, my how the tables have turned..

7 hours ago, Terylee said:

Reflection

Genie in a Bottle
What a Girl Wants

The Christmas Song

I Turn to You
Come On Over Baby
Ven Conmigo
Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti
Lady Marmalade
Falsas Esperanzas

What's Going On

Dirrty
Beautiful

Fighter
Can't Hold Us Down
The Voice Within

Car Wash
Tilt Ya Head Back

-

Ain't No Other Man
Hurt
Tell Me

Candyman
Oh Mother/Slow Down Baby

Keeps Gettin' Better

-

Not Myself Tonight
You Lost Me

Express
Castle Walls
Moves Like Jagger
Your Body

The Prayer
Say Something
We Remain
Feel This Moment
Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti

-

The Real Thing

Shotgun

Change
Telepathy

-
Accelerate
Fall In Line

Haunted Heart
Fall On Me

Loyal Brave True
Reflection (2020)

Pa Mis Muchachas

Santo

Some are no real singles but it still doesn't look like "long breaks" between albums for me. She always had some kind of output. The only years she released no songs are  2005, 2009, 2014 and 2017.

It’s the way they just can’t ever win for me

:jonny:

OT: Eminem ended her! I forgot she even had beef with Eminem 

7 hours ago, Terylee said:

Reflection

Genie in a Bottle
What a Girl Wants

The Christmas Song

I Turn to You
Come On Over Baby
Ven Conmigo
Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti
Lady Marmalade
Falsas Esperanzas

What's Going On

Dirrty
Beautiful

Fighter
Can't Hold Us Down
The Voice Within

Car Wash
Tilt Ya Head Back

-

Ain't No Other Man
Hurt
Tell Me

Candyman
Oh Mother/Slow Down Baby

Keeps Gettin' Better

-

Not Myself Tonight
You Lost Me

Express
Castle Walls
Moves Like Jagger
Your Body

The Prayer
Say Something
We Remain
Feel This Moment
Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti

-

The Real Thing

Shotgun

Change
Telepathy

-
Accelerate
Fall In Line

Haunted Heart
Fall On Me

Loyal Brave True
Reflection (2020)

Pa Mis Muchachas

Santo

Welp looks like they lose yet again. How sad. I guess my assessment was right! She just didn't have what it takes to remain relevant in the public eye. Screaming isn't an artistic identity, I fear.

The GP stopped pretending the screaming is enjoyable I fear. 

18 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

There is plenty wrong with Mariah’s artistic reputation even according to herself. Isn’t she always constantly whining about how she feels she doesn’t get enough recognition for writing her songs? :sadviolin: You never hear Taylor Swift, who is actually recognized for her songwriting, whine about getting recognition for her songwriting because Taylor gets endless praise for her songwriting, the kind of songwriting recognition that Mariah could only dream of. And we all know her vocal reputation has taken a huge hit in recent years.

Again, Mariah was rich enough in 1999 to not be in a homeless shelter, but celebrities need more money than normal people because they have a different lifestyle and the expenses that come along with that and Mariah has talked many times about how she didn’t have as much money as people would assume due to various contracts and bad financial decisions. 

I think you need to look up what hypocrisy means in the dictionary because you have literally never used it correctly LOL especially when it applies most often to yourself. But the lack of self awareness is here as usual :lmao: And once again, there’s no hypocrisy. You know the music industry is always changing and what is considered a standard of flopping in one sales climate is not considered flopping in another sales climate. Back in the 60s, most albums didn’t sell much so a Gold album was huge. In the late 90s and early 00s, just Gold and Platinum wasn’t considered great when the hit albums of that time went Multi Platinum many times over even in the high Multi Platinums. Even Mandy Moore got Platinum albums then and she was viewed as a flop and people are consistent in calling the albums that sold similarly to Glitter and Charmbracelet in that time period as flops like Just Whitney and American Life. And of course standards dropped even more after as album sales went down again 

Christinas label wanted her to put release 2 more Teen Pop albums like Britney, *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys and they even had songs selected for her, but she refused. Clearly if she wanted to milk her success, she would have given in to their demands. Obviously a Christmas’ album and Spanish album is not milking success, when most of her fans in America who bought her debut album wouldn’t be into that 

Even for Lotus, Christina took a bit more time than the label wanted.  After Moves Like Jagger was a hit, Maroon 5 released Payphone before Moves Like Jagger fell of the charts to keep the momentum going. Your Body had already been recorded by then, but she didn’t release it. And then for the actual Lotus era, Christina barely promoted it and only in the US. Compare that to Mariah who we know promoted Chambracelet like crazy all over the world even though it still flopped anyway 

There is nothing wrong with Mariah's artistic reputation. She is recognized as a legend and is included in the songwriters hall of fame.

Mariah was super rich already in 1999. And she will always have the money that her back catalogue makes for her. So yeah. She could have retired in 1999.

Rainbow wasn't shaky honey. It sold more than 7M copies WW. If Gold and Platinum is a flop for the 20000s standard. It is the same for 2010 and 2012. Back then artists were still going multi platinum constantly. Her GH is also a flop based on your own defination since it came out in 2008.

Edited by Outside789

17 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

There’s a difference between a push from an executive and a push from an  executive who is a spouse or family member. You know very well the latter causes resentment not only in the music industry, but literally any industry. There’s a reason why the term nepotism exists and why these overlaps are often viewed as conflicts of interest 

Butterfly came out in 1997 and they divorced in 1998. And we know those eras were shaky since those singles did extremely poorly on pop radio and had poor longevity since they were discounted and not organic like her earlier singles. And the Rainbow era was especially shaky with Mariah feeling like she wasn’t supported and leaving messages to her fans complaining. It wasn’t the complete rock bottom of Glitter, but it was coming close to it and not. exactly the “success” you’re making it out to be.

There is no  conflicts of interest. Because the law doesn't say that an artist can't be married to a ceo label and be promoted in that same label. That would be like saying Lucy Lawless successs was not legit as Xena, because she married one of the heads behind the show. Funny how a xtina fun is here trying to basically give a man the whole credit for a female artis's career. While claiming that their fav is all about feminist and girl power. So yeah. Hipocrisy.

Mariah didn't marry him in 1990 and her debut was huge. She was already without mottola in 1997. Butterfly's singles didn't flop and they did have longevity as @stevyy already proved. And her greatest hits album was also a super smash with 16M copies sold globally. Rainbow was also a hit. And just so you know. The US is not the only market in the world. It's not Mariah's fault that she was able to consistently sold in the 4M mark and above with her albums outside The US on average. While certain Artists only achieved it once in their entire career.

25 minutes ago, Outside789 said:

There is nothing wrong with Mariah's artistic reputation. She is recognized as a legend and is included in the songwriters hall of fame.

Mariah was super rich already in 1999. And she will always have the money that her back catalogue makes for her. So yeah. She could have retired in 1999.

Rainbow wasn't shaky honey. It sold more than 7M copies WW. If Gold and Platinum is a flop for the 20000s standard. It is the same for 2019 and 2012. Back then artists were still going multi platinum constantly. Her GH is also a flop based on your own defination since it came out in 2008.

8 million.

23 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

I would never suggest that Rainbow bombed. The album sold over 3,5 million copies in the US alone and 900k in Japan. 

Chartsmasters: (2017)

01 - USA: 3,500,000

02 - JPN: 875,000

03 - FRA: 485,000

04 - GER: 300,000

05 - BRA: 275,000

06 - CAN: 250,000

07 - GBR: 230,000

08 - ESP: 110,000

09 - KOR: 100,000

10 - TAI: 75,000

11 - ITA: 75,000

12 - MEX: 70,000

13 - NET: 50,000

14 - AUS: 45,000

15 - ARG: 40,000 

For her 7th studio album in 10 years... (and 9th overall album), that's great consistency. It's also an album that, as Mariah said in her Memoirs, she had to negotiate with the CEO of Sony Entertainment in the Japanese headquarters in order to leave the label because Tommy Mottola was a d!ck to her and she had to go to his boss in order to get her interests heard.

6 hours ago, suburbannature said:

8 million.

I would agree on that... it's between 7,5 - 8 million units sold worldwide which is a good result even for 1999.

She was lazy. There's no reason she couldn't squeezed a few more albums that would've helped solidify her career. Even a few more spanish projects would've given her an edge that Pink and Britney could never have.

Also her songs became too much of a screamfest, that its nauseating.

Christina’s last solo Top 5 was in 2002. Her career lasted 3 years :rip:

5 hours ago, Smilers said:

She was lazy. There's no reason she couldn't squeezed a few more albums that would've helped solidify her career. Even a few more spanish projects would've given her an edge that Pink and Britney could never have.

Also her songs became too much of a screamfest, that its nauseating.

Xtina has the same number of studio albums than P!nk and just one less than Britney

Her personality and her fans if you ask me. I was online back when Back II Basics came out and the way Christina fans treated every other female artist was horrible. She treated the female artist the exact same. 

@ATRL Administration how come a thread like this gets to stay while a thread asking “why do ppl stan Britney” gets deleted just because a few Britney stans got their feelings hurt in said thread and started crying about how that thread needs to be deleted?

looks like bias ? not a cute look

3 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

@ATRL Administration how come a thread like this gets to stay while a thread asking “why do ppl stan Britney” gets deleted just because a few Britney stans got their feelings hurt in said thread and started crying about how that thread needs to be deleted?

looks like bias ? not a cute look

And that was my thread from a couple of years ago. Secret Britney stan where? @perfillusion

Just now, suburbannature said:

And that was my thread from a couple of years ago. Secret Britney stan where? @perfillusion

I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Just now, BionicWooHoo said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Hence why you weren't the one tagged, dear.