• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ampersand13

• Hurem

• Josh

• Chris

Top Posters In This Topic

In an exclusive chat with PEOPLE surrounding her new campaign video for the American Red Cross, the actress says her choice not to sign on to reprise her role as final girl Sidney Prescott for Scream 6 was "truly" just "negotiation" related.

"I did not feel that what I was being offered equated to the value that I bring to this franchise, and have brought to this franchise, for 25 years," she tells PEOPLE. "And as a woman in this business, I think it's really important for us to be valued and to fight to be valued," continues Campbell, 48. "I honestly don't believe that if I were a man and had done five installments of a huge blockbuster franchise over 25 years, that the number that I was offered would be the number that would be offered to a man."

"And in my soul, I just couldn't do that," she adds. "I couldn't walk on set feeling that — feeling undervalued and feeling the unfairness, or lack of fairness, around that."

This totally blows :shakeno:

14 hours ago, okgo said:

In an exclusive chat with PEOPLE surrounding her new campaign video for the American Red Cross, the actress says her choice not to sign on to reprise her role as final girl Sidney Prescott for Scream 6 was "truly" just "negotiation" related.

"I did not feel that what I was being offered equated to the value that I bring to this franchise, and have brought to this franchise, for 25 years," she tells PEOPLE. "And as a woman in this business, I think it's really important for us to be valued and to fight to be valued," continues Campbell, 48. "I honestly don't believe that if I were a man and had done five installments of a huge blockbuster franchise over 25 years, that the number that I was offered would be the number that would be offered to a man."

"And in my soul, I just couldn't do that," she adds. "I couldn't walk on set feeling that — feeling undervalued and feeling the unfairness, or lack of fairness, around that."

I think that this ends all the rumors of her secretely appearing in the new movie. She's not like "umm i don't have time, my schedule is full" etc. She has a very significant reason and of course, we are with her on that

More quotes:

Even though Neve Campbell won't be returning for Scream 6 after receiving an offer that "did not equate to the value" she felt she brought to the franchise, the actress didn't close the door completely for a possible return down the line -- if the situation (and salary) was right.

"I’m not just done with the chapter," Campbell told ET's Lauren Zima while promoting the latest American Red Cross Scream-inspired PSA, which asks the public for help in donating blood. "I care about these movies. If they were to come to me with an amount that felt in keeping with... the value that I bring them, I would certainly consider it. I care about these new directors [Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett]. They did such a great job on the last one and I wish them luck."

"This young cast, it saddens me that my departure might have some effect. But at the same time, I needed to stand up for myself, so I hope that they still had a good time and good experience on the film," she continued. "I wish them well. It was just unfortunate, it's not how it should have gone and my feeling truly is: had I been a man in this franchise -- 25 years, five movies, the offer would have been very different."

In June, Campbell revealed she would not be reprising her role of Sidney Prescott, a character she originated in the original Scream movies and returned to play in Scream 5, which was released at the start of this year.

"I love these movies, I love being a part of them. I’m so grateful for them. It's 25 years of my life... [a] character that I care deeply about and I know fans care deeply about," she said to ET, crediting returning stars Courteney Cox, Melissa Barrera and original cast members Jamie Kennedy and David Arquette for being "incredibly supportive and understanding." "People come to me and say, 'Sidney inspired me. Sidney saved my life. I was having trouble in school' or 'I was having trouble at home and it helped me overcome.' You just don't realize the effect that a character can have on people and Sidney has had a huge impact on people. So it was hard for me to make that decision not to do [Scream 6] because I knew it wasn't just about me."

"But at the same time, as a woman, I think it's really important that we try to be on par financially with men and I fought for a long time to have that be a part of my life and to get to that place and I really just didn't feel that what was offered to me really equated to what I bring to these films -- the value that I bring to these films and that Sidney brings to these films," Campbell added. "The idea of being on set and feeling taken for granted or taken advantage of just seemed impossible for me to endure, to be honest."

so yeah, she really won't pop up. sad but it is what it is :deadbanana2:

i wonder how much is this offer that she turned down? maybe they can offer it to Emma Roberts instead :cm:

33 minutes ago, drivers license said:

so yeah, she really won't pop up. sad but it is what it is :deadbanana2:

i wonder how much is this offer that she turned down? maybe they can offer it to Emma Roberts instead :cm:

Didn't someone say they offered her 4M? 

7 minutes ago, Venice B said:

Didn't someone say they offered her 4M? 

wouldn't that be high because her net worth is like 10m? :deadbanana2:

either way, her point still stands. the fact that Scream is one of the most popular slasher franchises of all time, and the latest one grossed $140 million yet the actress carrying it only have that much to her name is not fair at all.

6 minutes ago, drivers license said:

wouldn't that be high because her net worth is like 10m? :deadbanana2:

either way, her point still stands. the fact that Scream is one of the most popular slasher franchises of all time, and the latest one grossed $140 million yet the actress carrying it only have that much to her name is not fair at all.

I don't think that's high enough considering Neve has been the face of the Scream franchise for 25 years and the last movie made 150M. If I remember correctly Gal Gadot got 3M for her cameo in Batman vs. Superman and she was fairly new in the movie industry and she didn't even have a Wonder Woman movie out yet :deadbanana4:

10 minutes ago, Venice B said:

I don't think that's high enough considering Neve has been the face of the Scream franchise for 25 years and the last movie made 150M. If I remember correctly Gal Gadot got 3M for her cameo in Batman vs. Superman and she was fairly new in the movie industry and she didn't even have a Wonder Woman movie out yet :deadbanana4:

i didn't think it was high either, but i just mean that if that's her supposed amassed net worth, then that would mean in previous franchises she got like ~2M max. double of that wouldn't be bad. what i mean basically, is maybe her offer is actually lower than 4M.

edit: nvm, i just saw this online

It has been reported Campell was paid a total of US$9 million for the first three films  US$1,500,000 for the first, US$3,500,000 for the second, and US$4,000,000 for the third.

It is not clear how much she made from the fourth and fifth installments but it is common in Hollywood to have “back-end deals”.

They see main stars lower their salary fees in exchange for a percentage of box office receipts, especially in the case of lucrative franchises.

:deadbanana2:

our queen deserves more :biblionny:

Edited by drivers license

16 hours ago, okgo said:

her talking about money constantly is so tacky. but i guess her career being a BOMB outside this franchise/the 90s made ha like that

3 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

her talking about money constantly is so tacky. but i guess her career being a BOMB outside this franchise/the 90s made ha like that

You better put some respect on her name! I get we're talking about the wealthy here, but these studios and execs have so much money, more than we can even really fathom. Neve has been the face of this franchise since its inception. If she doesn't feel she's being respected, she doesn't need to take time out of her life to make the studio/execs even more money. 

17 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

Knowing your worth isn't tacky and she's talking about a business, it's literally her job :deadbanana4: and at the end of the day everyone wants to go home and get paid for their work, not just put a smile on people's faces :skull: 

It's not her fault she's asked about it, it is a big story and you can blame the greedy studio for lowballing the lead star of their very profitably franchise.

33 minutes ago, drivers license said:

i didn't think it was high either, but i just mean that if that's her supposed amassed net worth, then that would mean in previous franchises she got like ~2M max. double of that wouldn't be bad. what i mean basically, is maybe her offer is actually lower than 4M.

edit: nvm, i just saw this online

:deadbanana2:

our queen deserves more :biblionny:

Yeah idk about any real numbers but she's been talking about this stuff since at least Scream 3 I feel like, it's very weird to see some fans being like "well it was never a problem before!!" and uhh...

Apparently some insiders are still insisting she has already filmed stuff for the movie so idk but if she does turn out to be in it, it is certainly very weird of the studio to let her double down on this topic (although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't care, sadly it's not like it'll make a big difference either way) :sad: 

Edited by okgo

25 minutes ago, okgo said:

Knowing your worth isn't tacky and she's talking about a business, it's literally her job :deadbanana4: and at the end of the day everyone wants to go home and get paid for their work, not just put a smile on people's faces :skull: 

It's not her fault she's asked about it, it is a big story and you can blame the greedy studio for lowballing the lead star of their very profitably franchise.

Yeah idk about any real numbers but she's been talking about this stuff since at least Scream 3 I feel like, it's very weird to see some fans being like "well it was never a problem before!!" and uhh...

Apparently some insiders are still insisting she has already filmed stuff for the movie so idk but if she does turn out to be in it, it is certainly very weird of the studio to let her double down on this topic (although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't care, sadly it's not like it'll make a big difference either way) :sad: 

yeah. and idk what's so tacky about it. how is that different from someone working a regular job and not wanting to renew their contract after 10 years when they don't get their deserved raise :deadbanana2:

smoore95GAGA
On 4/18/2022 at 1:18 AM, Sexyzinger said:

Make the opening kill for Samantha. Tara is the main final girl.

I hate to break it to you, but based on the ending of Scream 5, it most definitely appears that Sam will be the new final girl instead of Tara. I’m not saying I want that, I’m just saying it seems more likely they’ll kill Tara off in Scream 6, and not Sam.

At the very least, both girls will live perhaps. But they’re definitely not killing Sam.

Neve deserves more than $4 million and I hope she got more than that for 4 and 5. She's carried much of this franchise on her shoulders.

I am excited for 6 and think the cast can do this movie well. My hope is that they become more creative and don't rely on homages to the first or second movie. 

On 8/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, Sharapov said:

I love Neve, but you're right.

She says she cares about the franchise, but it's obvious she hates being typecast in the role of Sidney Prescott. She shouldn't have said that the reason for her decision to not return was due a salary dispute, imo. She should have just said that she won't be part of 'Scream 6' and leave it for us to speculate.

It'd be interesting to know how much they paid David Arquette for each film, I bet that less than her.

7 hours ago, smoore95GAGA said:

I hate to break it to you, but based on the ending of Scream 5, it most definitely appears that Sam will be the new final girl instead of Tara. I’m not saying I want that, I’m just saying it seems more likely they’ll kill Tara off in Scream 6, and not Sam.

At the very least, both girls will live perhaps. But they’re definitely not killing Sam.

lol. not with the backlash the melissa woman got after the movie and NOT with jenna ortega being on the rise and a much better actress

melissa was the worst thing of SCREAM with her lifetime acting and her billy hallucinations

On 8/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, Venice B said:

What kind of comparison. BvS made over 850 million compared to Scream making 150m :deadbanana:

I'm not for the studio lowballing her by any means but some of ya'll are being so silly. Neve was the star of Scream but lets be real, she was never an actual STAR of Hollywood. You can't even compare her to Jamie Lee because if Jamie is an B-list actress, Neve is D-list at best. No shade but Courtney is the bigger star of the franchise even if Sidney is more important than Gale. 

If Scream 6's budget is 30-40 million, there's no way on earth they could (or should) pay her more than 4m especially for what's likely to be a cameo. I love Sidney but no way is she worth more than 10% of the movie's entire budget when you have to pay EVERYONE involved and make a good movie on top of it. Fans have been demanding chase scenes (rightly so) and a new location all of which are very expensive. It's not realistic to spend a quarter of the budget on an actress who isn't that big of a draw, was barely in the last installment, and was rumored to only shoot 2 scenes over 4 days anyway. 

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

What kind of comparison. BvS made over 850 million compared to Scream making 150m :deadbanana:

I'm not for the studio lowballing her by any means but some of ya'll are being so silly. Neve was the star of Scream but lets be real, she was never an actual STAR of Hollywood. You can't even compare her to Jamie Lee because if Jamie is an B-list actress, Neve is D-list at best. No shade but Courtney is the bigger star of the franchise even if Sidney is more important than Gale. 

If Scream 6's budget is 30-40 million, there's no way on earth they could (or should) pay her more than 4m especially for what's likely to be a cameo. I love Sidney but no way is she worth more than 10% of the movie's entire budget when you have to pay EVERYONE involved and make a good movie on top of it. Fans have been demanding chase scenes (rightly so) and a new location all of which are very expensive. It's not realistic to spend a quarter of the budget on an actress who isn't that big of a draw, was barely in the last installment, and was rumored to only shoot 2 scenes over 4 days anyway. 

Neve was literally a huge part of the marketing for Scream 5, front and center on the poster, trailers and out promoting it on tons of talk shows etc so the studio clearly considered, or at least used, her as a big draw which is the point. Even if she isn't an A Lister she is super important to this specific franchise, which is what she's negotiating? And she has Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix which was a hit and has been renewed, plus the Twisted Metal series that's coming and Scream 5 obviously was a success so I'd say she's actually in a pretty good position right now careerwise (or she probably wouldn't have turned it down)

I feel like it wasn’t her pay itself it was as someone said earlier a producer credit or maybe a backend deal like Jamie got for Halloween

While Neve might not be a huge hollywood star she is Scream so she deserves her coins 

5 minutes ago, Hurem said:

He spilled. I hope they leave Stab behind, we've seen it all by now.

Haven’t some bts images already proven the Stab movies are involved with S6 though?

On 8/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, okgo said:

Some of the people in this thread are being misogynistic af. Neve is not going to do a job for crumbs, and is literally the lead character of the franchise and a huge part of the marketing. Of course she should be ******* paid what she wants (within reason) for returning. She also has other projects so starring in Scream 6 could prevent her from getting other jobs as well. 

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Some of the people in this thread are being misogynistic af. Neve is not going to do a job for crumbs, and is literally the lead character of the franchise and a huge part of the marketing. Of course she should be ******* paid what she wants (within reason) for returning. She also has other projects so starring in Scream 6 could prevent her from getting other jobs as well. 

You should see some of the stuff that's been said about her on social media :shakeno: but yea, I'm glad she's being vocal about it and hopefully empowers others to do the same.

1 hour ago, Hurem said:

He spilled. I hope they leave Stab behind, we've seen it all by now.

It's literally been a major part of every movie since 2, imagine how tired we must...

But I do think there's a way to do it right it's just that 5 isn't an example and it hasn't really been done proper since 2 and somewhat 3

The thing is it's the main way they do the meta jokes nowadays, so they'd have to be more original...also I didn't watch the vid yet lol

anyway literally cannot believe the Neve thing I really thought she was just lying but I guess no way and insiders were wrong, imagine that, the studio is literally mentel and unwell for this and radiosilence is too for going through with it, no doubt they'll do anything to fix it on 7 and not end the series on a bad note without her but still, no doubt the movie is jeopardizing 7 being made because it IS getting mixed to panned reviews and lower box-office too as a result of Neve missing so I wish them an ounce of luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.