Nintendo Base

feelslikeadream

XC3 is a bit of a mixed bag so far for me (early chapter 3).

Let me start off with the good. Exploration and map design is phenomenal. Side content has improved tremendously. The hero quests are easily the best part of this game. Menus have also improved a lot. The game also looks much better than XC2 (technically). Love the class swapping (although the constant pop-up when you just wanna play a maxed out class is annoying as hell :biblio:)

Now, some things are bothering me. The music is disappointing compared to XC2 and even XC1. Moreover, while the graphics are better, I feel like cutscenes are somehow not as good either? Sometimes it’s like they outsourced the walking/turning animations to Game Freak. :deadbanana: 

Story is a bit slow so far. I don’t like games that are confusing as hell throughout and then reveal everything at the end, and it definitely looks like this is going to be one of those games. Also, cutscenes are kinda blending together in general? I think this goes hand in hand with the inferior music, but I really haven’t moved like I did when I first watched some of the XC2 cutscenes, such as the final chapter 1 and chapter 3 scenes.

While exploration and map design have improved, the environments look kinda bland and uninspired. 

Now lastly, combat feels very satisfying but it’s also quite broken. Healers don’t put their buffs/heals down where they should, and if you control the healers to do their job then your tank will literally just walk OUT of the buff/heal… :rip: This means you will constantly be switching between characters, but the mechanics for cycling through the party makes me wanna kill myself. Why is there no character wheel, similar to switching guns in GTA? The area effects also punish spreading out, which is really stupid because some enemies will be able to charge at your entire party because you’re all huddled up.

It’s definitely better than XC1 but, for me, it hasn’t come close to XC2 yet.

Edited by touchofmyhand

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feelslikeadream

• Magickarp

• Rence

• Katamari

40 minutes ago, D.Va said:

This thread is spoiler free right ? We only talk about gameplay ?

Something about having Lanz as a healer is such a turn on dfghjuikolpm I hope there are some costumes to make him as naked as possible :jonnycat:

I wanna gush abt Eunie's gameplay specifics :jonnycat: but idk be how specific i can be even though it's not really a story spoiler. Anws, y'all need to get Eunie as an attacker :jonnycat:

At first I wasn't feeling Medic Lanz thematically, but yuh now i have him as a medic :jonnycat: unfortunately the most naked outfit i've seen him wear is the Ogre one :'( 

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, D.Va said:

Something about having Lanz as a healer is such a turn on dfghjuikolpm I hope there are some costumes to make him as naked as possible :jonnycat:

I have Lanz as a medic atm too :gaycat2: I haven't looked into master arts much yet, but I'm thinking a late game tank with some kind of healing ability would be good.

1 hour ago, touchofmyhand said:

Sometimes it’s like they outsourced the walking/turning animations to Game Freak. :deadbanana: 

While exploration and map design have improved, the environments look kinda bland and uninspired. 

Funny you mentioned Game Freak cause I get Arceus vibes with some of the environment textures, especially when you're far away and looking down on a region :rip: Also, occasionally the enemies in the distance move at 3 fps, which also makes me think of Arceus :toofunny2: 

Overall, I agree with much of what you said, although I don't mind the mystery of the story. I'm also on Ch. 3 and I'm just hoping that

Spoiler

I'll get to Swordmarch soon and then a lot of the backstory will be explained there, a la Prison Island in XC1.

I also don't have any complaints about the combat and circles/AI because I think combat is too easy to worry about that much :rip: I haven't leveled up at all with the extra exp and so far I haven't had any difficulties. I keep encountering bosses in the main story quests that are exactly my level, which I think is ideal. Boss fights take a long time, but I haven't died to any of them yet. In fact, I've only died in combat once and it was to a big group of Tirkins nnnn.

Edited by feelslikeadream

Told myself I wasn't going to buy this yet with the gaming backlog... totally caved and managed to snag the last copy from my local Game store which is the only store near me that had any left today :jonnycat:

Managed to put in a quick hour earlier today and let me tell you when I say how much I loved it :WAP:

Did anyone get Digimon. I heard it plays like **** on Switch :doc: might have to get it on PS4

the class unlock system is insufferable 

U apparently get 0 CP for fighting anything 5 lvls below. (& it correlates to my own expereince)

So whenever i unlock a new Hero, i need to detour to fight higher level enemies, if i want to use their class.

Then i come back to the story even more overlevelled than before.

Even worse when u unlock it, then realise u prefer sum else.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

EDIT: just found a rather brain dead way to unlock classes faster so lets celebrate that :cheers:

I just played 2.5 hours of Xenoslay ChroniGOTY 3 and I am so in love with it. Everyone who said that it captures you way faster than the first 2 were right. I am already in love with this world. I spent so much time farming collectibles and battling wildlife that I haven’t even met the other half of the team yet. Not sure if I’m playing slowly or what but I just love it too much. 

Spoiler

Ugh the bath scene. I was dreading it for the cringe factor as soon as they said “let’s go take a bath”, but then I was too busy oggling Lanz to feel any awkwardness. What a MAN :chick1:

Taking a break now to start Digimon Survive, I want to see how it is and decide which of these games to devote more of my time to in the near term

1 hour ago, Doogle said:

Did anyone get Digimon. I heard it plays like **** on Switch :doc: might have to get it on PS4

I’ll let you know after my first hour (but I don’t know how comprehensive that will be). 

What class sets do u guys use? 3 ATK 3 HEAL 1 TANK for me

TANK kinda got the short end imo. Not much reason to have more than 1.

& HEAL kinda outclasses any of its few reasons + only class that can revive. 

But I unlocked a TANK that's average as one... but ridiculously OP at sum else :jonny5:

So I might drop an ATK as dmg is not really a problem when Chains are CRACKED. 

My boss strat is stall till Chain, & KO :toofunny3: u can rid 75% of their HP bar :deadbanana2: Also XC3 Chains > XC2

I don't have to sit there with an img of all the elemental combos & their side effects :toofunny3:

2 hours ago, Magickarp said:

But I unlocked a TANK that's average as one... but ridiculously OP at sum else :jonny5:

My boss strat is stall till Chain, & KO :toofunny3: u can rid 75% of their HP bar :deadbanana2: Also XC3 Chains > XC2

I don't have to sit there with an img of all the elemental combos & their side effects :toofunny3:

Maybe I don't fully understand chain attacks yet, but how do you do them with so many healers on your team? I can't seem to finish chain attacks with healers, it stops at 99%

• ATRL Moderator
24 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

Maybe I don't fully understand chain attacks yet, but how do you do them with so many healers on your team? I can't seem to finish chain attacks with healers, it stops at 99%

The final person to go will bring the meter up over 100, even if they're a healer. So basically healers let you extend/increase the number of attacks, since they freeze the bar at 99%. On the one hand, this can be helpful if you A. Need healing or B. Have healers with strong offensive attacks to bring into the chain. On the other hand, if you're healed and they have bad moves, you're screwing yourself over by having too many healers in a row cause you're gonna use up your whole lineup and are unlikely to get a 2nd and/or 3rd move off successfully :rip: I'm still moving classes around to figure out what works best for chains, but I'm thinking maybe a healer in spots 3 and 6... :matty:

EDIT: Also, this might be obvious, but you can choose who goes next in the chain, so if you want the round to end and you're at 99%, just choose a non-healer. I didn't realize you could choose the order until like my 5th chain attack so figured I'd mention it.

Edited by feelslikeadream

16 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

The final person to go will bring the meter up over 100, even if they're a healer. So basically healers let you extend/increase the number of attacks, since they freeze the bar at 99%. On the one hand, this can be helpful if you A. Need healing or B. Have healers with strong offensive attacks to bring into the chain. On the other hand, if you're healed and they have bad moves, you're screwing yourself over by having too many healers in a row cause you're gonna use up your whole lineup and are unlikely to get a 2nd and/or 3rd move off successfully :rip: I'm still moving classes around to figure out what works best for chains, but I'm thinking maybe a healer in spots 3 and 6... :matty:

EDIT: Also, this might be obvious, but you can choose who goes next in the chain, so if you want the round to end and you're at 99%, just choose a non-healer. I didn't realize you could choose the order until like my 5th chain attack so figured I'd mention it.

Yeah this makes sense! So much easier than the element **** from the second game, where I needed to pull out a damn element chart :rip: 

I’m only 13 hours in or so and scrolling fast to avoid spoilers. I’m worried I’m almost rushing through, honestly, though I know I’m probably not. But honestly… GOTY. Instantly clicked with me in a way XC1 and 2 never did, hasn’t stopped impressing me since. Unreal experience so far.

5 hours ago, Magickarp said:

3 healers is ESSENTIAL on hard and kinda makes it a breeze (except for when bosses instakill all of your healers after like 30 minutes of fighting :rip:). Especially Zephyr + 2 evasion rings kinda breaks the game. Running only two healers is immediate hell though.  I do feel like having 2 tanks is necessary because healers and DPS get wrecked on hard if they get targeted even for one second. I’m running 2 ATK / 3 HEAL / 2 TANK.

Chain attacks have been very underwhelming compared to XC2 to me? I remember elemental burst being ridiculously powerful, but I only do a sliver of damage in XC3, even though I usually am able to carry out 4 orders and get the damage counter up to 600%. I don’t have Ouroboros orders yet. I’m assuming that helps? Maybe the enemies are just huge damage sponges on hard.

Edited by touchofmyhand

4 hours ago, HausOfGerard said:

They only stop at 99% if u use them last in the order. If u use them first or in the middle its fine.

ATK < HEAL < DEF is a pattern u can go for early game since

ATK get 25% bonus TP if used first

DEF last will ensure the highest TP user gets regained for the next round (otherwise its random)

Also if u score 150% or 200% TP u can respectively regain 2 or 3 characters (having a healer is great for this)

4 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

The final person to go will bring the meter up over 100, even if they're a healer.

Idt this is true, cuz i think I've killed an order before by making the final person a healer, Idk for sure tho :lakitu:

Might u be referencing a Hero? Hero's don't adhere the 99% HEAL, Last DEF, or 25% ATK rules. 

1 hour ago, touchofmyhand said:

I don’t have Ouroboros orders yet.

I love dodge tanking, Mio was my sole tank for the longest time :jonny5: I recently made her a Block Tank sadly :'( my team lacks any Topple users :'( 

Yeah, that's the missing piece. and it's a big one :deadvision: u can get out 5 orders with that, which will easily hit 1000%+ and the final order with the Ouroboros is ridiculous :deadvision: i have no proof, but to me it feels like a single OuroOrder out damages all the other 4 orders combined :deadvision: Also I heard u can almost get 20M dmg by the end game :deadvision:

Have u tried icon Dual Gun Eunie yet:gaycat1:she's my main & biggest DPS :jonny5: Noah will probs outclasses her by the end game tho :'(

CHAPTER TWO IS INSANE.

THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS THE BEST OUT OF ANY XENOBLADE GAME. 

I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN. I CANT. 

THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT. :jonny5:

• ATRL Moderator
5 hours ago, Magickarp said:

Idt this is true, cuz i think I've killed an order before by making the final person a healer, Idk for sure tho :lakitu:

Might u be referencing a Hero? Hero's don't adhere the 99% HEAL, Last DEF, or 25% ATK rules. 

Oop, you're right. Just checked and I was using ****h last night when I was ending on a healer :boat: 

• ATRL Moderator
11 hours ago, Magickarp said:

Also, it's funny you should say this cause I spent hours yesterday playing with 1 ATK and 5 TANK :toofunny2: When a character hits rank 10 on a class, I just switch to a new one. It just so happens that they almost all needed to be tanks at once somehow, so I went with it :lmao: Some battles were a little slow, but it was fine not having any healers and I never wiped.

13 hours ago, Doogle said:

imo it's pretty fine. never crashed. 

im doing my 2nd pre-NG+ route, it kinda feels sad to lose progress to see all 3 but im not redoing all the 8 chapters before to see each ending :rip:

how much affinity you need for megas probably: 

Spoiler

i think u need 70 affinity for mega evos, managed to get one mega finally :deadbanana4:

NOBODY is reaching their mega going blind without save scumming for affinity

I finished the prologue and some of part 1 in Digimon Survive last night. It’s pretty good. It just feels like Adventure honestly, so I hope a lot of it isn’t a rehash of that. So far XC3 > DS, but that was expected. The game is an honest 7 so far which is really fine, but it will need the story to really kick into gear to move up any more. 

So far Minoru and Saki are my favourite characters. Maybe the others will grow on me. Aoi seems a bit too much of a Mary Sue though… literally everyone is freaking out about these monsters and she’s just like “oh true hi here’s a handkerchief” :deadbanana2:

@Doogle Performance seems fine for the opening 2 hours or so. I didn’t see any slowdown in the few battles I had, and the visual novel parts are animated well for what’s essentially static screenshots. 

38 minutes ago, Rith said:

NOBODY is reaching their mega going blind without save scumming for affinity

Hmm can you elaborate? So far I’ve just been checking the menu to see who has lowest affinity, and picking that person’s opinion/discussion when I have the choice. I’ve been trying to lay it around evenly for the battle benefits (maybe that’s a bit too calculated, but I am making all the other choices honestly so that the game plays out according to my personality). Is there enough affinity points that sharing them equally means that some characters can reach mega? Or is it that only your “best friends” so to speak can accumulate enough points to reach it?

13 hours ago, Doogle said:

I will admit, it's a little... slow when I feel like on other consoles it would be more fluid, particularly when it comes to the menu and UI. But nothing so far has been so bad that it would be a detriment to my playthrough. Granted I've been waiting for this game for years so maybe this is me coping lmao 

I haven't started Digimon Survive yet. I will once I'm done with Xenoblade :weeps:

13 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

I haven't started Digimon Survive yet. I will once I'm done with Xenoblade :weeps:

Haha I needed to give it a chance, but I expect to be completely engrossed in XC3 for the next few months and to come back to Survive fleetingly, with focus during the Christmas holidays. So I’m in the same boat really :gaycat6:

Bandai Namco really got screwed over by ending up with the same release date as XC3. After all the delays, this game deserves to get its own time to shine but my hype for it dwindled a lot over the years. I can’t believe I could have been playing it 2 years ago, yet here we are - it’s out at the same time as my favourite rpg series :monkey: 

I’ll say it’s release is weirdly making me nostalgic for Adventure though, maybe because they’re so similar in the beginning. I feel like I need to give my Kizuna bluray a rewatch some time this week. 

How does a developer make this kind of game and finish early, early enough to push up the release? I can’t :jonny2:

I forgive them for the boob joke sins of XC2 now, bless this game

Also it gives me heavy Darling in the Franxx nostalgia so like we HAVE to stan but that’s neither here nor there 

21 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

How does a developer make this kind of game and finish early, early enough to push up the release? I can’t :jonny2:

I forgive them for the boob joke sins of XC2 now, bless this game

Also it gives me heavy Darling in the Franxx nostalgia so like we HAVE to stan but that’s neither here nor there 

Shading XC2 and praising Darling in the Cringexx at the same time is taking me out :deadbanana2:

29 minutes ago, Chiidish said:

Shading XC2 and praising Darling in the Cringexx at the same time is taking me out :deadbanana2:

DitF did it all and better, XC2 wishes :gaycat: and thankfully the devs clearly got the memo about the greatest animated series of our time!

I think the big thing that’s making me a lot less favorable toward 2 right now is honestly that the general tone and atmosphere of the game was much lighter than 3 (and 1, in my opinion). I’m not necessarily a fan of that choice, I think. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.