2024 US Election Megathread πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ›οΈ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.Β 
Β 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

• Replies 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

spacer.png

• Haha 1

ActBlue is Hamas.

Β 

Β 

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Β 

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, nobody cares about this rhetoric. It convinces absolutely no one of anything.Β 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

Β 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Β 

So me living in a red state (that Trump is 100% winning) with down ballot races being Republicans running unopposed (I used one of those sample ballot sites to see what the down ballot races in my area will look like) makes voting 100% pointless yet me sitting it out means I'm voting for Trump?
Β 

Whatever I do, I'm stuck in a Trump-voting conservative shithole that I don't have the funds to leave. Β Deciding that I don't want to wait in a line for 7 hours to do something that would be utterly pointless isn't commensurate with me welcoming Trump with open arms. Biden torpedoing his campaign by pissing off swing state voters (by being awful on Gaza) does more to help Trump than me or any of the other millions of voters in a situation similar to mine do.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

So me living in a red state (that Trump is 100% winning) with down ballot races being Republicans running unopposed (I used one of those sample ballot sites to see what the down ballot races in my area will look like) makes voting 100% pointless yet me sitting it out means I'm voting for Trump?
Β 

Whatever I do, I'm stuck in a Trump-voting conservative shithole that I don't have the funds to leave. Β Deciding that I don't want to wait in a line for 7 hours to do something that would be utterly pointless isn't commensurate with me welcoming Trump with open arms. Biden torpedoing his campaign by pissing off swing state voters (by being awful on Gaza) does more to help Trump than me or any of the other millions of voters in a situation similar to mine do.Β 

Don't bother with that user. We've tried explaining it to him multiple times but he and his handful of remaining brain cells can't comprehend it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

I thought the genocide denier said the majority of Democrats disapproved of student protests?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 hours ago, Communion said:

ActBlue is Hamas.

Β 

Β 

And Biden camp still has way more money than Trump does πŸ˜‚

Β 

• Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Β 

The FEC is Hamas

• Haha 1

But he really wants to testify guys πŸ˜‚

Β 

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

Β 

I experience the same thing, and something else that contributes to my current disdain for voting is that regardless of who becomes president, my governor will make Republican laws and Biden has proven to not fight against these issues like abortion or immigration at a state level. What motivation is there for people like us, who live in red states, to go vote for someone who is not really going to change our lives?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GhostBox said:

But he really wants to testify guys πŸ˜‚

Β 

You already know his court fan squad is queuing up talking points to go on Newsmax and OANN tonight to push the "he wanted to testify, b-b-but the corrupt judge" :rip:Β Β 

• Like 1

No to the last part. It's more that Trump (and Republicans) are enabled whenever otherwise good people sit out elections. That was their competitive edge for about 20 years when their dedicated voters came out for every off-cycle/midterm election to block Democratic president progress.Β 

Β 

We've now seen with 3 consecutive election cycles (2018, 2020, 2022) and multiple special elections how to reverse that trend: showing up. They are simply not the majority, they're just more motivated because they feel their grip on culture and politics slipping. Trump is their last stand.

Β 

Frankly, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Even holding for the fact that the average wait time for voting is less than an hour, if it did take 7 hours once every 2/4 years… that would be a small price to pay for maintaining freedom.

• Like 2

Β 

This is why the electoral college should be terminated. That way, your vote will always count no matter what. Maybe not for the unopposed, but for president it would.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kassi said:

No to the last part. It's more that Trump (and Republicans) are enabled whenever otherwise good people sit out elections. That was their competitive edge for about 20 years when their dedicated voters came out for every off-cycle/midterm election to block Democratic president progress.Β 

Β 

We've now seen with 3 consecutive election cycles (2018, 2020, 2022) and multiple special elections how to reverse that trend: showing up. They are simply not the majority, they're just more motivated because they feel their grip on culture and politics slipping. Trump is their last stand.

Β 

Frankly, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Even holding for the fact that the average wait time for voting is less than an hour, if it did take 7 hours once every 2/4 years… that would be a small price to pay for maintaining freedom.

And showing up makes sense when you live in an area that you have a chance of winning. I could show up, and get all my friends and family of voting age to show up, and on and on, and Republicans would still win every state wide and presidential election in the near and far future (and my state is not going blue anytime soon). Even if I do show up, the down ballot races are Republicans running unopposed. Who am I supposed to vote for them?
Β 

My point is that my voting or not doesn't affect the outcome of the election whatsoever in my area and it's frustrating to be told that that's "helping Trump" when no matter what course of action I take, I'm stuck in a dump of a state controlled by brain dead republican supermajority. And if my state were ever close to flipping (both in the presidential election or the governing level) the Republican Party would've ceased to exist. Trump wins my state no matter what I do. Republicans make the laws of my state no matter what I do.Β 
Β 

4 minutes ago, spree said:

This is why the electoral college should be terminated. That way, your vote will always count no matter what. Maybe not for the unopposed, but for president it would.

I agree. The importance of voting been hammered in my head since I was young, but when you're outnumbered and the enemy is constantly running unopposed, who am I supposed to even vote for?Β 

25 minutes ago, spree said:

Absolutely. I know so many Dem leaning people in WV who don't even go vote because in their words "what's the point the republicans will win anyway"Β 

Β 

popular vote wins would encourage so many people to go vote. Even in blue states with republicans.Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Β 

If you think being the party that can easily raise money from the wealthy in this political environment is an asset, you are not paying attention (which makes sense for you)Β 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, byzantium said:

If you think being the party that can easily raise money from the wealthy in this political environment is an asset, you are not paying attention (which makes sense for you)Β 

Biden's campaign has more small donors than trumps campaign which is relying mostly on wealthy donors. 🀷

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.