2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 21.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Post the quote.ย :coffee2:

You won't find direct quotes because Biden rarely if ever speaks for himself. But Netanyahu is leaning on Biden to intervene, and Speaker Johnson is demanding the US use every tool possible to prevent Israel from facing accountability. Congress is preparing to sanction the ICC, which Biden will undoubtedly end up signing. Because they don't believe in international law.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Espresso said:

BREAK GLASS BREAK GLASS

ย 

This is a great step forward!!ย 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassi said:

And then they'll flip back from Trump when that change doesn't amount to anything or inevitably results in negative outcomes.ย :coffee2:ย 

ย 

That's the funny thing about American politics. The founders established the US government in such a way that no one single faction could take over the entire thing. So gridlock is actually a feature, not a bug.

ย 

People don't realize that the key to real, massiveย change is persuading their neighbors to vote the same way. This can occur via grassroots propaganda (Tik Tok) or top down propaganda (news media). But if the population is always split 50/50 cause no one's incentivized to tell the truth, then nothing will change. That's why leftists "strategy" is as equally perplexing as it is infuriating.

ย 

For example, what is the end goal of lying about Biden's attempt to cancel student loan debt? Why not point to the conservative Supreme Court who actually blocked it and empower people to elect a Democratic President who could replace not one... but potentially 4 judges? The power is RIGHT there for the taking. What an incredible self-own to dismiss such an easy messaging opportunity.

ย 

ย 

Even worse is when leftists try to pin the Supreme Court's Roe decision on Biden "It happened while Biden was in office!". Umm... I get that Fox News has to lie cause they believe in the complete opposite reality, but are leftists... okay? Do they want voters to be confused as to who's against abortion rights?ย :biblio:

Biden's biggest slip up was not convincing Sinema and Manchin to overturn the filibuster to make Roe law of the land. It is really disheartening that Roe got overturned while democrats had the trifecta and they did nothing. Now Biden is promising that if democrats control the house and senate without Sinema and Manchin that they will get it done. He knows it is extremely unlikely that democrats will keep the senate in November (It is possible, but then it is still likely that one random senator will say no anyway and Biden will shrug his shoulders and say oh well and tell people to vote in 2026 to get one more Senator in)
ย 

Biden is a talented politician and it is impressive that he was able to pass so much legislation during his first term, but he was unwilling/unable to fully meet the momentย 

ย 

The filibuster has to go. By removing the filibuster Congress will be empowered to hold the Supreme Court accountable. That is the only way forward. I don't fully believe Biden will actually do that in a second term, but he says he will. I still plan on voting for Biden over Trump, but I understand why the average voter wouldn't trust him and would be disillusioned enough to think Biden and Trump are the same. Even though Trump was completely ineffective in every way. He couldn't even pass an infrastructure bill when Pelosi and Schumer will begging him to work with themย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Vroom Vroom
  • Like 2

ย 

4 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Biden's biggest slip up was not convincing Sinema and Manchin to overturn the filibuster to make Roe law of the land. It is really disheartening that Roe got overturned while democrats had the trifecta and they did nothing. Now Biden is promising that if democrats control the house and senate without Sinema and Manchin that they will get it done. He knows it is extremely unlikely that democrats will keep the senate in November (It is possible, but then it is still likely that one random senator will say no anyway and Biden will shrug his shoulders and say oh well and tell people to vote in 2026 to get one more Senator in)
ย 

Biden is a talented politician and it is impressive that he was able to pass so much legislation during his first term, but he was unwilling/unable to fully meet the momentย 

ย 

The filibuster has to go. By removing the filibuster Congress will be empowered to hold the Supreme Court accountable. That is the only way forward. I don't fully believe Biden will actually do that in a second term, but he says he will. I still plan on voting for Biden over Trump, but I understand why the average voter wouldn't trust him and would be disillusioned enough to think Biden and Trump are the same. Even though Trump was completely ineffective in every way. He couldn't even pass an infrastructure bill when Pelosi and Schumer will begging him to work with themย 

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, the filibuster is completely useless. But I have to disagree on this:

4 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Biden's biggest slip up was not convincing Sinema and Manchin to overturn the filibuster to make Roe law of the land.

This framing, which many people have, so this is not directed at you, is part of what I consider the infantilization of the American electoral process. The most accurate framing is: "Sinema and Manchin's biggest slip up was refusing to overturn the filibuster". Because it lets voters know who or what is stopping the progress they want to see. After which, they can organize rather than agonize.

ย 

Biden did speak with them privately many times. He also publicly used "the bully pulpit" to try and sway their opinions. In fact, he called for overturning the filibuster on three separate occasions for voting rights, Roe, and the debt ceiling.

ย 

But, more importantly:

• Congress is a co-equal branch of government. If they **** up, voters need to know which chamber and which members.
  • The Supreme Court is a co-equal branch of government. If they **** up, voters need to know which judges and the party that elected them.

This hyper-focus on the Presidency for everything is like sitting down for a three course meal, eating only the appetizer, then claiming that you weren't fed well. People are literally tuning out the other branches and it's very unsettling. I agree that the average voter wouldn't trust Biden and would be disillusioned enough to think Biden and Trump are the same, but that's largely because they're failing as informed citizens. And it's not completely their fault. The bulk of the blame lies with our news media, our pundits, and our activists for failing to inform them.

ย 

Everything is starting to boil down to how well can political parties warp people's perception of reality through the use of marketing materials โ€” which honestly doesn't seem sustainable. It's like trying to swim upriver.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, VOSS said:

ย 

This is a good example of how accurate information can impact voters.ย :chick2:

5 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Congress is preparing to sanction the ICC, which Biden will undoubtedly end up signing.

ย 

ย 

• Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, Kassi said:

This is a good example of how accurate information can impact voters.ย :chick2:

That said, American voters are just generally insane.

ย 

ย 

:gaycat6:

7 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Big picture, people are dissatisfied by the federal government in general. Biden is apart of the problem, he is a career politician and has been a member of the federal government his whole life. Biden won in 2020 because people thought Trump was the source of dissatisfaction, but people quickly learned it was an institutional issue after Biden was elected.ย 
ย 

Biden is unable to meet the moment to restructure the federal government. He never ran on it, he just ran on not being as corrupt as Trump. Biden's reelection campaign is focused on keeping the status quo, while Trump is promising a massive federal government overhaul with Project 25. People are desperate for massive change and may overlook Trump's past failures and corruption to get itย 

It's so funny since the rhetoric by centrists in 2020 was that progressive politics was fantastical and people actually wanted "real, reasonable solutions by people who know how to get things done". All that posturing just for Biden 1) to be deeply unpopular, 2) to have achieved very little, and 3) be unpopular explicitly for being uninspiring.

ย 

Maybe we should ban six-figure DC libs from being a given a platform to squawk about what normal people find inspiring going forward. :fan:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Communion said:

It's so funny since the rhetoric by centrists in 2020 was that progressive politics was fantastical and people actually wanted "real, reasonable solutions by people who know how to get things done". All that posturing just for Biden 1) to be deeply unpopular, 2) to have achieved very little, and 3) be unpopular explicitly for being uninspiring.

ย 

Maybe we should ban six-figure DC libs from being a given a platform to squawk about what normal people find inspiring going forward. :fan:

Some progressive policies do come off as fantastical. I was speaking with a friend a few weeks ago who was telling me that Biden was awful because he refused to pack the supreme court (he also said that Biden's foreign policy agenda was perfectย :rip:)ย 

^Lol. Sounds like the typical American voter with slightly stupid, heterodox views.ย They're really hard to pin down.
ย 

I had a friend who watches Break Points (we're in Texas so he leans more toward Saagar) complain that Biden wasn't the right candidate because he didn't go visit East Palestine, Ohio when the train derailed.

ย 

I asked why that mattered and he said cause it showed that Biden didn't care about everyday Americans and at least Trump was there.ย 
ย 

I gentlyย pushed him on this (cause I'm not as aggressive offline :eli:) and asked him why this train derailment was more importantย than the other 1,000 that occur every year? Especially since nobody died, no property was damaged, and the EPA handled the environmental contamination. He literally went silent. I shifted to a different topic cause it was awkward and we were at a party anyway. ย :rip:
ย 

America definitely has a problem. There's really only one answer to winning elections:

ย 

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Morality โœ…

Intelligence โœ…

Clarity โœ…

• Haha 1

ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

ย 

There will be no condemnations when this is the take being floated by liberal media

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

The cops are forceful, but they look relatively calm and measured.ย :michael:

• Thumbs Down 4

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Kassi said:

The cops are forceful, but they look relatively calm and measured.ย :michael:

Nothing measured about a fascist crackdown, luv :michael:ย 

Edited by ClashAndBurn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

ย 

This Biden trump numbers are actually pretty good from their last set of polls.ย 
movement in most states toward Biden. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Interestingย 

ย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.