2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

5 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Except I did. I did vote for Dems all the way downballot in all of those elections. I don't waste my vote on third party candidates in a state where Greens can't even make it on the ballot, Republicans want me dead, and Libertarians want there to be zero government other than our bloated military.

ย 

Not clapping over every stupid liberal-appeasing thing Joe Biden does DOES NOT make me against Democrats. What frustrates me is they don't do enough to get elected on their own merits. Every election since 2018, they've relied on Republicans being bad enough that the public rejects them rather than giving people something to vote for. In 2020, that was almost not enough, and Donald Trump was 43k votes (across three states) away from being re-elected. This past midterm, if Dobbs had gone the way Roberts intended, or if it had even been delayed by ONE judicial term, then things would have ended very differently. The historic shellacking and total rejection of Biden and the Democrats under the current inflation and gas price spike would have gone exactly as basically every single pundit had predicted.

I meanย the Republicans aren't doing themselves any favors. If anything they failed at all levels to win a cake election cycle. I dont understand why you are so angry at the Democrats for winning 3 elections in a row and now with Trump as a potential nominee it might be 4. :clap3:ย 

• Replies 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

My dislike of Jeffries has nothing to do with him being a Democrat and more to do with the fact that he's openly hostile to progressives and wants nothing more than for them to be excised from the party.

Thing is, he's part of the CPC, so I doubt his politics are THAT different from the median "progressive" in the House.

ย 

It's more likely that Hakeem Jeffries tends to talk back to the left the way it talks to the party mainstream, and I just canโ€™t really sympathize with that complaint at all. Yeah, if being spoken to the way you speak to others sucks, maybe thereโ€™s something to think about there.ย :bird:

ย 

But OMG, he's just like me.

โ€œPolitically, the left did have some success in primarying Democratic incumbents in 2018, and 2020,โ€ Jeffries conceded, no doubt in reference to candidates supported by the progressive PAC Justice Democrats, such as Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who unseated Joe Crowley, and Rep. Jamaal Bowman, who unseated Eliot Engel. โ€œBut a lot of their electoral momentum began to dissipate shortly after Biden was elected. โ€ฆ Itโ€™s a question that the Justice Democrats and others have to ask: Why are we losing race after race after race, running against Joe Biden and the Democratic Party? Perhaps the voters are sending us a message.โ€

ย 

https://www.cityandstateny.com/politics/2022/08/hakeem-jeffries-again-challenges-left-eve-primary/376162/

I say this all the time. He's so REAL for that.

A1Tre77.gif

Pelosi actually quite handled the progressives with kid gloves. And it totally makes sense. She was an 82 year old white grandmother and mother of 5 from upscale San Francisco, CA.

ย 

Jeffries is a 52 year old black father from grimy Brooklyn, NY. The days of progressive treachery are OVER.

A1Tre77.gif

ย 

8 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Thing is, he's part of the CPC, so I doubt his politics are THAT different from the median "progressive" in the House.

ย 

It's more likely that Hakeem Jeffries tends to talk back to the left the way it talks to the party mainstream, and I just canโ€™t really sympathize with that complaint at all. Yeah, if being spoken to the way you speak to others sucks, maybe thereโ€™s something to think about there.ย :bird:

ย 

But OMG, he's just like me.

I say this all the time. He's so REAL for that.

A1Tre77.gif

The CPC isn't even progressive. They're normie Dems that think of themselves as progressive and forward-thinking when they're really just for the same status quo as everyone else. They're more accepting of socially progressive ideas like being for gay marriage and abortion rights, in contrast with the Blue Dogs, but that's really about it.

ย 

Hakeem Jeffries, therefore, is not a progressive. And the left doesn't treat mainstream Democrats with any more abuse than they deserve for actively holding us back and telling us we must accept crumbs or nothing else.

ย 

Fact of the matter is, once the Justice Dems get into Congress anyway, they play the game like everyone else and start treating the moderates like friends even though they hate them for primarying their moderate and conservative buddies like Jim Crowley, Eliot Engel and Lacy Clay. AOC didn't go against Pelosi ONCE and she won't go against Jeffries either even as he publicly backs her next primary challenger.

Edited by ClashAndBurn

39 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Thing is, he's part of the CPC,

Does him also being part of the New Democrat Caucus also mean his politics are no different from your average anti-progressive Dem?ย :ducky:

42 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Yeah, if being spoken to the way you speak to others sucks, maybe thereโ€™s something to think about there.ย 

What could India Walton have said to get compared to David Duke?ย :deadbanana4:

ย 

1 hour ago, Communion said:

Does him also being part of the New Democrat Caucus also mean his politics are no different from your average anti-progressive Dem?ย :ducky:

Idk, why did AOC encourage Senators to vote against the Green Dream? And why did Senators like Bernie do it?ย :bird:

ย 

Maybe everyone's progressive cause no one is.ย :chick2:

Yeah the actual progressives in Congress shouldnโ€™t vote for Hakeem. Obviously heโ€™ll still get the votes, but heโ€™s just gonna support primary challengers to Ilhan, AOC, Rashida, etc. anyway. Why bother with the respectability and etiquette ****? :rip:
ย 

If the most left people in the House do end up being primaried out and we end up with no viable progressive candidates for 2028, itโ€™s going to be pretty difficult for me not to just completely check out of electoral politics ngl. You can only support and hold out hope for a party thatโ€™s openly hostile to you and your interests for so long. Itโ€™s not good for the mental health when youโ€™re not getting the results you desire. Let me take up a hobby like grilling. :jonny2:

5 hours ago, FightForTanas said:

What do you mean L after L? Boebert is from a DEEP red district. The fact that it was this close is humiliating for her. She wont be so lucky in 2024.

I mean also losing the house and gop immediately start with some hunter bs

ย 

And Pelosi stepped down and passed the touch to a non progressive dem

ย 

Not to mention the student relief is still blocked

ย 

We just have to see

8 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Not surprised you'd say that, as a European yourself. Someone from the Global South would have something very different to say, I'm sure. We've done far more damage to the world than Russia or any other country, but because it's all done in the name of capitalism and white Western supremacy, it's considered a "net good."

ย 

Oh, and given the existence of NSA, America isn't actually that liberal or free. We're under constant surveillance here, and supposedly liberal Obama did everything he could to expand those Bush era programs spying on ordinary Americans.

ย 

Not to mention, supposedly liberal Pelosi mentioning she enjoyed working with Bush and not Trump when the former was BY FAR the worse evil as a person and as a president... really says it all.

ย 

We're not going to be more careful with our military in the future. Not even remotely. We'll use it to bully other countries into bending to our will like we always have, and Europeans will do nothing to curb our aggression because they're cowards.

But Russia has been killing its neighbors and even own citizens by the tens of millions in the past hundred years alone. And living between Sweden and Russia I can feel this massive cultural and socio-economical pull from both sides. People living in western Finland, near Sweden are so much more prosperous and healthier and liberal than those in the east, near Russian border. The Russian misery literally sips in from over the border, and not just now but always has. And I'd say Sweden is much closer to the US in terms of value set and economical approach. So I don't think it's fair to say that the US is worse than Russia.ย  Equal evils more like. They just have different strategies. But there's hope that the US could learn from the past mistakes. And for the sake of the world, I hope Russia could change too.

ย 

And there is liberty in the US. You can be homosexual in relative peace, depending on city and state, I know. And even being trans is somewhat ok in certain places. There's work to be done for queer rights but it's still so much f**king better than in the Global South. And now there's all this debate about free speech and the limits of it. And there is starting to be enough POC in Congress and Pentagon to say that it can't be just about white supremacy anymore. It's more of a Western supremacy project. And I don't want the US to be bombing any places. It's just a dilemma that how could they help the rest of the world become more liberal/LGBTQ friendly. And idk the answer to that. Flying the flag at embassies won't really do the trick. I guess Netflix and HBO could be influencing though. That kind of cultural input. I just want people to be able to do whatever they want with their lives. And the liberal way of live is closer to that.

Edited by anti-bitch

8 hours ago, FightForTanas said:

ย 

Arrest ha. :jonnycat:

ย 

ย 

I keep forgetting there is another person with the Petty surname, whoops! Lawsuit incoming for his long lost relative, Miss Kari Baby.

11 minutes ago, Mellark said:

I keep forgetting there is another person with the Petty surname, whoops! Lawsuit incoming for his long lost relative, Miss Kari Baby.

Ever since I saw you called her Miss Kari Baby thats the first thing I think about when ever I hear about her. :ahh:ย 

5 hours ago, anti-***** said:

But Russia has been killing its neighbors and even own citizens by the tens of millions in the past hundred years alone. And living between Sweden and Russia I can feel this massive cultural and socio-economical pull from both sides. People living in western Finland, near Sweden are so much more prosperous and healthier and liberal than those in the east, near Russian border. The Russian misery literally sips in from over the border, and not just now but always has. And I'd say Sweden is much closer to the US in terms of value set and economical approach. So I don't think it's fair to say that the US is worse than Russia.ย  Equal evils more like. They just have different strategies. But there's hope that the US could learn from the past mistakes. And for the sake of the world, I hope Russia could change too.

ย 

And there is liberty in the US. You can be homosexual in relative peace, depending on city and state, I know. And even being trans is somewhat ok in certain places. There's work to be done for queer rights but it's still so much f**king better than in the Global South. And now there's all this debate about free speech and the limits of it. And there is starting to be enough POC in Congress and Pentagon to say that it can't be just about white supremacy anymore. It's more of a Western supremacy project. And I don't want the US to be bombing any places. It's just a dilemma that how could they help the rest of the world become more liberal/LGBTQ friendly. And idk the answer to that. Flying the flag at embassies won't really do the trick. I guess Netflix and HBO could be influencing though. That kind of cultural input. I just want people to be able to do whatever they want with their lives. And the liberal way of live is closer to that.

I guess America is benevolent and kind and perfect to our neighbors. Unless you count conquering and stealing Texas and California from Mexico. And staging coups and overthrowing elected governments throughout Central and South America. And permanently crippling Cuba through unjust sanctions that have been condemned by every single other country in the world other than the vassal states of Israel and Ukraine (Brazil too, but Lula will probably change that). And the war on drugs driving violence on the border and giving violent cartels and black markets a reason to exist. Oh! And I guess our illegal invasion of Iraq is good and above board because Iraq isn't our neighbor. :hug:ย 

ย 

The Global South isn't able to progress under constant duress as long as we continue to quietly invade and occupy their borders, pillage them for their resources and bomb them to oblivion. It's not a dilemma that we do this. It's a deliberate choice. We're not trying to liberalize them. We want their oil. We want to rob them blind and leave them with nothing. But I mean, I guess their lives don't matter since they haven't liberalized to the point of being pro-gay enoughย :michael:ย 

16 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The Global South isn't able to progress under constant duress as long as we continue to quietly invade and occupy their borders, pillage them for their resources and bomb them to oblivion. It's not a dilemma that we do this. It's a deliberate choice. We're not trying to liberalize them. We want their oil. We want to rob them blind and leave them with nothing. But I mean, I guess their lives don't matter since they haven't liberalized to the point of being pro-gay enoughย :michael:ย 

Ofc their lives matter. But I was trying to argue against that statement that the US is the most evil country. If it was then you wouldn't have access to open forums like this to begin with because of internet censorship like China or Russia do. And China is buying out Africa right now and forcing the countries to vote in their interest in the African Union meetings. And Russia is looking to re-establish the Soviet Union. At least in the US there's starting to be motions towards Green New Deal and pulling out of conflicts and focusing on social justice. And same in Europe. Ukraine is just something that's impossible to ignore right now. But there's hope that situation freezes for the winter at least.

7 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Ofc their lives matter. But I was trying to argue against that statement that the US is the most evil country. If it was then you wouldn't have access to open forums like this to begin with because of internet censorship like China or Russia do. And China is buying out Africa right now and forcing the countries to vote in their interest in the African Union meetings. And Russia is looking to re-establish the Soviet Union. At least in the US there's starting to be motions towards Green New Deal and pulling out of conflicts and focusing on social justice. And same in Europe. Ukraine is just something that's impossible to ignore right now. But there's hope that situation freezes for the winter at least.

I didnโ€™t say โ€œmost evil,โ€ I said weโ€™ve caused the most damage. Which, given you acknowledged the migrant crisis that we literally caused through our adventurism in the Middle East, has proven to be objectively true. What we did in Afghanistan in the 80s led to the formation of the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS. Itโ€™s us. Hi. Weโ€™re the problem, itโ€™s us. And pretending weโ€™re a force for good and liberalism in the world when weโ€™ve done everything possible to destroy it, including being the only country to unleash nuclear weapons on another, is justโ€ฆ ignoring reality, plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I didnโ€™t say โ€œmost evil,โ€ I said weโ€™ve caused the most damage. Which, given you acknowledged the migrant crisis that we literally caused through our adventurism in the Middle East, has proven to be objectively true. What we did in Afghanistan in the 80s led to the formation of the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS. Itโ€™s us. Hi. Weโ€™re the problem, itโ€™s us. And pretending weโ€™re a force for good and liberalism in the world when weโ€™ve done everything possible to destroy it, including being the only country to unleash nuclear weapons on another, is justโ€ฆ ignoring reality, plain and simple.

But both can be true at once. The seeking for cheap oil has had devastating consequences absolutely. But at least the US entertainment industry has been spreading a very liberal message around the world. I know it's mostly about making money too, but if it gives queer people in other places hope to see that you can be happy somewhere, then it's worth it. That's what I mean by spreading liberalism: music, movies and social media influencing. It's not about doing it with gun point. I've always detested the way Christianity was spread by force, for example. And the US did help to beat the Nazis, as did the Soviets. And same against Japan back then. At least beating the Nazis had to be a good thing for world peace. And there hasn't been a big war in Europe since, and even now it's on the outskirts of it.

41 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

But both can be true at once. The seeking for cheap oil has had devastating consequences absolutely. But at least the US entertainment industry has been spreading a very liberal message around the world. I know it's mostly about making money too, but if it gives queer people in other places hope to see that you can be happy somewhere, then it's worth it. That's what I mean by spreading liberalism: music, movies and social media influencing. It's not about doing it with gun point. I've always detested the way Christianity was spread by force, for example. And the US did help to beat the Nazis, as did the Soviets. And same against Japan back then. At least beating the Nazis had to be a good thing for world peace. And there hasn't been a big war in Europe since, and even now it's on the outskirts of it.

1 million Iraqis is a small price to pay for Queer As Folk and Drag Race I guess.

12 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

1 million Iraqis is a small price to pay for Queer As Folk and Drag Race I guess.

Literally nothing to do with one another. How can it be so hard to understand what I mean? There's a difference between military actions and social activism. And it's not the libs/progressives who have been invading anyone. Even Obama wasn't really a progressive. I don't think Bernie would have ok'd that ever. I'm totally against the invasions. I just don't think the US is an inherently bad country. And there's so many different opinions on what direction you should take the country. So it's hard to evaluate it at all. There's hope for a better future. I just don't like your doom and gloom spirit always.

Edited by anti-bitch

1 hour ago, anti-***** said:

But I was trying to argue against that statement that the US is the most evil country. If it was then you wouldn't have access to open forums like this to begin withย 

You know what's better than the ability to say you want universal healthcare?

Just literally having universal healthcare.

ย 

A goal that doesn't seem to be any closer in reach despite said free speech.ย 

ย 

Why do you believe it is that a majority of Americans want Medicare For All yet only 14% of Senators support it?

Polls show that 80%+ of Democrats want Medicare For All yet only 28% of Dem Senators support it.

Why do you think that is? Why are they not moved by all the free speech?

Edited by Communion

12 minutes ago, Communion said:

You know what's better than the ability to say you want universal healthcare?

Just literally having universal healthcare.

ย 

A goal that doesn't seem to be any closer in reach despite said free speech.ย 

ย 

Why do you believe it is that a majority of Americans want Medicare For All yet only 14% of Senators support it?

Polls show that 80%+ of Democrats want Medicare For All yet only 28% of Dem Senators support it.

Why do you think that is? Why are they not moved by all the free speech?

Big pharma lobbyists? And I mean I want free healthcare for you guys. And free speech itself won't bring it, but it's not a threat either. And I was talking about open forums. Lobbying happens behind closed doors. And I guess M4A suffers from bad marketing/messaging. People think it's gonna be more expensive than the current system. But then something like $15 minimum wage keeps getting voted in because it's a simple thing to market. And ofc people want more money.

Edited by anti-bitch

And I keep bringing up the gays, because you can tell something about a country based on how they treat minorities. And yes, I'm aware the US has many problems with that, but I don't think any minority group would be better off in Russia or China. There's elements of totally unique racial, cultural and sexual blending in the States that no other country has.

12 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

ย And I guess M4A suffers from bad marketing/messaging.ย 

Did M4A have majority support in Dem primary? - Does Dem Senator Support M4A?

• Arizona: Yes - Mark Kelly: No - Kyrsten Sinema: No
  • California: Yes - Alex Padilla: Yes - Diane Feinstein: No
  • Colorado: Yes - John Hickenlooper: No - Michael Bennet: No
  • Illinois: Yes - Dick Durbin: No - Tammy Duckworth: No
  • Massachusetts: Yes - Ed Markey: Yes - Elizabeth Warren: Yes
  • Minnesota: Yes - Tina Smith: No - Amy Klobuchar: No
  • Michigan: Yes - Gary Peters: No - Debbie Stabenow: No
  • Nevada: Yes - Jacky Rosen: No - Catherine Cortez-Masto: No
  • New Hampshire: Yes - Jeanne Shaheen: No - Maggie Hassan: No
  • Virginia: Yes - Tim Kaine: No - Mark Warner: No
  • Washington: Yes - Maria Cantwell: No - Patty Murray: No

If everyone involved was Chinese, you'd be calling such a reality oppressive and calling for foreign intervention to help fix such an inherently broken and wrong society where people have such little freedom and influence.

ย 

"The essential power of liberalism is to give people a voice to be heard.. even if no one is listening!"

1 minute ago, anti-***** said:

And I keep bringing up the gays, because you can tell something about a country based on how they treat minorities. And yes, I'm aware the US has many problems with that, but I don't think any minority group would be better off in Russia or China. There's elements of totally unique racial, cultural and sexual blending in the States that no other country has.

The United States doesnโ€™t even treat gays that well. Our rights are only hanging by flimsy threads of court decisions and can be just as easily taken away. The minute Obergefell gets overturned, gay marriage becomes as limited as abortion rights post-Dobbs in spite of the cheering and victory laps Democrats are taking over their virtue-signal bill that effectively does nothing. If Bostock gets overturned, we can be fired for being gay. The right to discriminate against us is currently being fought for right now because half the country values religious freedom to be bigoted over equality.

ย 

Oh and in this country, a police officer can barge into a black womanโ€™s home with an incorrect warrant, shoot her dead, and be protected from consequences.

ย 

42 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Literally nothing to do with one another. How can it be so hard to understand what I mean? There's a difference between military actions and social activism. And it's not the libs/progressives who have been invading anyone. Even Obama wasn't really a progressive. I don't think Bernie would have ok'd that ever. I'm totally against the invasions. I just don't think the US is an inherently bad country. And there's so many different opinions on what direction you should take the country. So it's hard to evaluate it at all. There's hope for a better future. I just don't like your doom and gloom spirit always.

Libs have just moved to supporting endless proxy wars and fighting Russia to the last Ukrainian. Same ****, different method.

1 minute ago, Communion said:

Did M4A have majority support in Dem primary? - Does Dem Senator Support M4A?

• Arizona: Yes - Mark Kelly: No - Kyrsten Sinema: No
  • California: Yes - Alex Padilla: Yes - Diane Feinstein: No
  • Colorado: Yes - John Hickenlooper: No - Michael Bennet: No
  • Illinois: Yes - Dick Durbin: No - Tammy Duckworth: No
  • Massachusetts: Yes - Ed Markey: Yes - Elizabeth Warren: Yes
  • Minnesota: Yes - Tina Smith: No - Amy Klobuchar: No
  • Michigan: Yes - Gary Peters: No - Debbie Stabenow: No
  • Nevada: Yes - Jacky Rosen: No - Catherine Cortez-Masto: No
  • New Hampshire: Yes - Jeanne Shaheen: No - Maggie Hassan: No
  • Virginia: Yes - Tim Kaine: No - Mark Warner: No
  • Washington: Yes - Maria Cantwell: No - Patty Murray: No

If everyone involved was Chinese, you'd be calling such a reality oppressive and calling for foreign intervention to help fix such an inherently broken and wrong society where people have such little freedom and influence.

ย 

"The essential power of liberalism is to give people a voice to be heard.. even if no one is listening!"

That is oppressive! But it's the American people's problem that they keep voting for those senators. And I'd rather have freedom of speech than the CCP telling me what to think. F*ck that.

1 minute ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The United States doesnโ€™t even treat gays that well. Our rights are only hanging by flimsy threads of court decisions and can be just as easily taken away. The minute Obergefell gets overturned, gay marriage becomes as limited as abortion rights post-Dobbs in spite of the cheering and victory laps Democrats are taking over their virtue-signal bill that effectively does nothing. If Bostock gets overturned, we can be fired for being gay. The right to discriminate against us is currently being fought for right now because half the country values religious freedom to be bigoted over equality.

ย 

Oh and in this country, a police officer can barge into a black womanโ€™s home with an incorrect warrant, shoot her dead, and be protected from consequences.

ย 

Libs have just moved to supporting endless proxy wars and fighting Russia to the last Ukrainian. Same ****, different method.

But in Russia you have to be HIV negative to get in university even. And no hopes of a civil union or anything like that. And I can't even imagine what they do to black people, if they even have any.

ย 

And what would you do about Ukraine? What's your solution to this conflict?

ย 

ย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.