Kelly Clarkson

Phoenixstar

19 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I enjoyed your analysis of RFC few pages back so could you explain to me the final line of RFC ("red flag collector drowning in your troubled seas")? I mean, I understand the words but the meaning behind them escapes me... 

My take is that Kelly is the red flag collector (someone who ignored the signs that Brandon wasn’t who he was pretending to be) and now she’s getting caught up in all his mess.

I’m kind of wondering if there was more to the divorce than him cheating. Like, it kind of sounds like Brandon was pretending to be more well off than he was and maybe pulled something shady with their business/finances, I could be way off though lol.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BravoTangoWhiskey

• RealityBites

• jpsketch

• Heartbeat Song

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, stoopidjenna said:

Y’all are saying you understand the references but claim the title doesn’t make sense :michael: It’s definitely a different approach than what I would have expected, but the title is very fitting and in some ways it’s more creative than strictly listing out red flags.

Making fun of her ex-husband playing up the cowboy image isn’t a red flag. It’s just her making fun of him. So, no, it doesn’t make sense to connect that to red flags. A red flag would be when Brandon called her out on Twitter for her political views because she wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders in 2016. 

30 minutes ago, kylegfil_ said:

I’m amazed at so many people’s inability to open their minds to different types of songs from her.  

A 41 year old is not going to write or deliver a breakup song the same way a 22 year old is.  Kelly is a different person than she was during Breakaway, My December, and Stronger and people need to let go of that version of her when setting their expectations for new music - both when it comes to the music itself and commercial success.

This commentary is so lazy and ignores what everyone here is saying. Again, if you like the album thus far, amazing. Love that for you. But, I (and others) have said countless times that the lyrics have fallen very short of what we expected coming from Merry Christmas (To The One I Used To Know). That is directly about Brandon and was written during the divorce process. I don’t want or expect her to go so personal that she’s exposing very intimate details about their relationship. But, you can write emotionally raw lyrics that don’t give away intimate details MCTTOIUTK is a great example. Another great example from Kelly’s discography is Sober. Sober is her magnum opus and commonly recognized as her best song. What exactly is she singing about? We have no idea. The song is so abstract and vague about what is bothering her that we never get a picture of it. However, the lyrics are so rich, beautiful, and go above and beyond in describing how she feels that we don’t need anymore detail.

All that said, I don’t understand why people are chastising others who are longtime fans (I’ve been Team Kelly on ATRL for over a decade and went up against the Bey Hive when that was a major stan rivalry) who are disappointed with the album. We’re allowed to be disappointed and share how we feel to see if others feel similarly or if it’s just us. It’s very cathartic for me to see that I’m not the only Kelly stan disappointed with the output of this era so far. I’d feel a lot stranger if it was just me. 

If you’re someone that loves the music so far, again, that’s amazing. I’m not trying to force you into sharing my feelings on the album. But, people in here really need to just accept that it really is that simple that the music itself is the reason why people aren’t vibing with it and that is okay. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Making fun of her ex-husband playing up the cowboy image isn’t a red flag. It’s just her making fun of him. So, no, it doesn’t make sense to connect that to red flags. A red flag would be when Brandon called her out on Twitter for her political views because she wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders in 2016. 

This commentary is so lazy and ignores what everyone here is saying. Again, if you like the album thus far, amazing. Love that for you. But, I (and others) have said countless times that the lyrics have fallen very short of what we expected coming from Merry Christmas (To The One I Used To Know). That is directly about Brandon and was written during the divorce process. I don’t want or expect her to go so personal that she’s exposing very intimate details about their relationship. But, you can write emotionally raw lyrics that don’t give away intimate details MCTTOIUTK is a great example. Another great example from Kelly’s discography is Sober. Sober is her magnum opus and commonly recognized as her best song. What exactly is she singing about? We have no idea. The song is so abstract and vague about what is bothering her that we never get a picture of it. However, the lyrics are so rich, beautiful, and go above and beyond in describing how she feels that we don’t need anymore detail.

All that said, I don’t understand why people are chastising others who are longtime fans (I’ve been Team Kelly on ATRL for over a decade and went up against the Bey Hive when that was a major stan rivalry) who are disappointed with the album. We’re allowed to be disappointed and share how we feel to see if others feel similarly or if it’s just us. It’s very cathartic for me to see that I’m not the only Kelly stan disappointed with the output of this era so far. I’d feel a lot stranger if it was just me. 

If you’re someone that loves the music so far, again, that’s amazing. I’m not trying to force you into sharing my feelings on the album. But, people in here really need to just accept that it really is that simple that the music itself is the reason why people aren’t vibing with it and that is okay. 

Hi, I’m not talking about people who are disappointed or not vibing with the new music for whatever reason, I’m talking about the people (most of whom I’ve seen on twitter) who are upset that the new music doesn’t sound like Behind These Hazel Eyes or My December.  My post was a general statement on some of the more ridiculous feedback I’ve seen, not commentary on anyone’s specific personal taste.  

Edited by kylegfil_

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, kylegfil_ said:

Hi, I’m not talking about people who are disappointed or not vibing with the new music for whatever reason, I’m talking about the people (most of whom I’ve seen on twitter) who are upset that the new music doesn’t sound like Behind These Hazel Eyes or My December.  My post was a general statement on some of the more ridiculous feedback I’ve seen, not commentary on anyone’s specific personal taste.  

Okay. That’s fair. But I don’t think that’s an unfair ask. BTHE is also very vague in terms of what she’s singing about. She’s confirmed since then what it’s about (her boyfriend broke up with and almost immediately got engaged with someone else shortly after). But, the song doesn’t say anything explicit about its inspiration in the lyrics. However, the lyrics describe what she’s feeling very well and the melodic build is epic and makes for a great song. People who say they wanted a BTHE probably are talking about those qualities rather than a raw exposé in the style of Dear John by Taylor Swift.

Kelly generally doesn’t do detail-oriented or explicit exposé kinda songs. She mostly writes songs describing how she feels and I think that’s what’s missing from these songs and maybe why IHL is the one I like most (and same for many other people). In IHL, she’s actually describing how she feels pretty well. Mine sorta does it in the verses but when she’s saying, “So unkind - eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - why am I missing you tonight - …” it falls a bit short from “Here I am, once again - I’m torn into to pieces - can’t deny it can’t pretend”.

To stop from rambling, I think people generally just want something a bit more from the lyrics. That could also just be me and maybe it’s more of a production thing. 

• Like 1

Some of y'all doing the most... :deadbanana2:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Anyway... RFC is a cute lil bop. I like how it sounds old-timey with the western piano/saloon music. It's something different for Kelly. The live version is superior though, and I agree the title doesn't really fit with the lyrics (but whatever, it's not going to be a single anyway).

Can't wait for the standouts (Skip This Part, Down To You, Lighthouse and even Rock Hudson) to prove some of y'all wrong. (Though if I had to guess, you'd probably find something negative to say about those too :shakeno:)

1 hour ago, rmmas said:

Comparing the tracks released so far to songs like We Own the Night/Tell Me a Lie is a reach.

I ain’t comparing, I’m simply saying that they’re not as good and that I like them less. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoopidjenna said:

Y’all are saying you understand the references but claim the title doesn’t make sense :michael: It’s definitely a different approach than what I would have expected, but the title is very fitting and in some ways it’s more creative than strictly listing out red flags.

Please explain, cause I don’t see it.

Just came to say RFC is so camp. I know there won’t be one, but it could have a killer music video.

3 hours ago, kylegfil_ said:

I’m amazed at so many people’s inability to open their minds to different types of songs from her.  

A 41 year old is not going to write or deliver a breakup song the same way a 22 year old is.  Kelly is a different person than she was during Breakaway, My December, and Stronger and people need to let go of that version of her when setting their expectations for new music - both when it comes to the music itself and commercial success.

This song is brilliant.  It’s Never Again’s older, sassier, more mature sister.  It was obviously written from a place of anger, beyond raw hurt, which is what I think a lot of people can’t get past.  She’s so done with him that she’s mocking him.  She knows she’s better than him.  The whole premise of the song is her coolly calling him a tiny little man trying to assert his masculinity by running around in his tiny imaginary wannabe world equipped with his little toy guns and male bravado lol.  The references to the towels to me paint a picture of the two of them in an office with their lawyers, him knowing he’s losing, and just trying to win something, anything from her.  It’s a brilliant song and it’s a mature song and it’s exactly what I want from Kelly right now.

Also just generally amazed by the meltdowns people are having over the album so far.  It’s delivering *precisely* what she told us to expect.  I don’t get it.

And you don’t have to get it hun….

Your interpreting the album differently, and that’s fine. These song don’t even touch songs like hear me and sober. Never Again- I feel her angst and anger. These I don’t. 

I don’t understand why you continue to bring up her age to defend the mediocrity (to some of us) she’s serving us with these songs? Of course, we know that success isn’t something we can equate with her now?! It’s the execution of the songs that is bothering me. Sorry. Like hell, Padam sounds more mature than RFC and FKOH.  Clearly we have different versions of what “mature” is cause this ain’t it so far. Adele’s 30 and kaceys Star Crossed, is what i call mature takes on divorce, still being descriptive and discreet within its lyrical content. 

What it’s *precisely* delivering, is the need for her to use different producers. Jason’s tired production and jesse’s safe and boring sound lol….

The albums not bad, just meh :michael:

Edited by kelli101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DEGUOM said:

Some of y'all doing the most... :deadbanana2:

Hide contents

spacer.png

Anyway... RFC is a cute lil bop. I like how it sounds old-timey with the western piano/saloon music. It's something different for Kelly. The live version is superior though, and I agree the title doesn't really fit with the lyrics (but whatever, it's not going to be a single anyway).

Can't wait for the standouts (Skip This Part, Down To You, Lighthouse and even Rock Hudson) to prove some of y'all wrong. (Though if I had to guess, you'd probably find something negative to say about those too :shakeno:)

Why would we?! 
Because I’m not vibing with the album so far, I’m gonna trash on those songs too?? I WANT TO LOOVE THIS ALBUM. And maybe you are correct and I’ll fall in love with the tracks that seem to be standouts for those of you that went to belasco. There’s nothing to prove? Some of us just aren’t seeing the art (yet)? 

Still loving this song. Sonically and lyrically probably my favorite so far… 

as for the RFC title, her intention was obviously not to list red flags throughout the song, but by the end of the song she realizes all the signs she missed by how he acted after the divorce and now is drowning in a sea of his mess, so she calls herself a RFC. Makes perfect sense to me!

2 more weeks for the full album! Can’t wait!

Edited by Ab1818
  • Like 2

For me, I'm enjoying the punchy pop vibe of RFC and IHL. I feel the pain and heartbreak in mine and me.

I am most pleasantly surprised we finally got a proper dance/electro pop song like FKOH. IMO we have never gotten a proper dance pop song from her. 

I am fully prepared to be gutted emotionally by lighthouse and skip this part. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kelli101 said:

Why would we?! 
Because I’m not vibing with the album so far, I’m gonna trash on those songs too?? I WANT TO LOOVE THIS ALBUM. And maybe you are correct and I’ll fall in love with the tracks that seem to be standouts for those of you that went to belasco. There’s nothing to prove? Some of us just aren’t seeing the art (yet)? 

Only time will tell LOL

1 hour ago, Julianna Calm Down said:

Please explain, cause I don’t see it.

Red Flag Collector is a take on the story of Little Red Riding Hood / the Big Bad Wolf, where the main character ignores the signs that the wolf is an imposter. But the focus is on the aftermath of realizing the person you were with is not who they were pretending to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Okay. That’s fair. But I don’t think that’s an unfair ask. BTHE is also very vague in terms of what she’s singing about. She’s confirmed since then what it’s about (her boyfriend broke up with and almost immediately got engaged with someone else shortly after). But, the song doesn’t say anything explicit about its inspiration in the lyrics. However, the lyrics describe what she’s feeling very well and the melodic build is epic and makes for a great song. People who say they wanted a BTHE probably are talking about those qualities rather than a raw exposé in the style of Dear John by Taylor Swift.

Kelly generally doesn’t do detail-oriented or explicit exposé kinda songs. She mostly writes songs describing how she feels and I think that’s what’s missing from these songs and maybe why IHL is the one I like most (and same for many other people). In IHL, she’s actually describing how she feels pretty well. Mine sorta does it in the verses but when she’s saying, “So unkind - eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - why am I missing you tonight - …” it falls a bit short from “Here I am, once again - I’m torn into to pieces - can’t deny it can’t pretend”.

To stop from rambling, I think people generally just want something a bit more from the lyrics. That could also just be me and maybe it’s more of a production thing. 

I can absolutely respect this!  Again I just think she’s at a different phase of her life where she is writing quite differently.  It clearly works for some and not others and that’s fine - I just don’t love certain people’s expectations of a BA or MD redux simply because she’s single again :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stoopidjenna said:

Red Flag Collector is a take on the story of Little Red Riding Hood / the Big Bad Wolf, where the main character ignores the signs that the wolf is an imposter. But the focus is on the aftermath of realizing the person you were with is not who they were pretending to be.

Ding ding ding! I was least excited for this one because I thought it was going to be a low energy country song, listing literal red flags. Far exceeded my expectations by being high energy pop rock kiss of song. Great replay value too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoopidjenna said:

My take is that Kelly is the red flag collector (someone who ignored the signs that Brandon wasn’t who he was pretending to be) and now she’s getting caught up in all his mess.

I’m kind of wondering if there was more to the divorce than him cheating. Like, it kind of sounds like Brandon was pretending to be more well off than he was and maybe pulled something shady with their business/finances, I could be way off though lol.

Cheers! :hug: At this point I was afraid to ask if the red flag collector is supposed to be Kelly, or Brandon :gaycat6:

As for the reason of divorce, judging solely from the songs (I didn't follow media writing about it, I just heard the cheating rumours), it seems like a big part was Brandon being controlling.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stoopidjenna said:

Thanks for explaining. How is this conveyed in the lyrics and story of the actual song though? I don’t really think the song tells that story very well, that he was an impostor and she missed the signs. 

Kelly isn't Adele or Kacey.Their divorce experiences and perspectives on relationships probably won’t be the same.

The thing I love about Kelly is that when she says an album is “personal” it’s really her telling her story the way she wants to tell it.

As much as I love Breakaway/My December/Stronger I NEVER expected chemistry to be a sequel to any of them. She is a constantly growing and evolving person so the landscape of her “personal record” would change. I guess we might ignore that sometimes. To me these aren’t “fillers” or “mediocre” songs, they’re equally good as her mega break-up songs because they all come from her heart, and I felt that. It’s just a simple matter of clicking with her way of telling story. 

Another issue for me is really the production choices. And no, I’m not some savvy producer or music exec. But I can still have an opinion about music si, si. I think she would actually benefit from working with some other people, but she’s probably too comfortable and happy to switch it up. WCCA and the Kellyoke EP had me excited because finally her vocals were done justice, and got to be centre stage. The songs she has released so far however have several issues. For example, all of the songs sound better live than studio version. It shouldn’t be like that. Some of the production choices are just poor or quite bad. RFC, for instance, is quite messy and all over the place. Me sounds 4 years old, which it probably is. The Wild West theme in RFC is also a … choice. She can do better and she deserves better sometimes, that’s what irks me. I think maybe part of the problem is that she has sat in these songs for 3 years, maybe more. I’m thinking they’ve lost their spark and sound somewhat outdated and wishy-washy because of this reason.

• Like 1

My tentative order so far:

FKOH

Mine

IHL

RFC

Me

9 minutes ago, Julianna Calm Down said:

Thanks for explaining. How is this conveyed in the lyrics and story of the actual song though? I don’t really think the song tells that story very well, that he was an impostor and she missed the signs. 

Her saying he can keep the TOWELS, saying “blaming me, guess some things never change” are her pointing out some of the red flags. She actually lists some and they play well with the song. 

I’m a bit confused why some are so focused on the title of the song. “Irvine” from My December is an amazing song, but she never mentions the title or gives an explanation as to why it’s called that in the song. But that’s just me lol. :) 

12 minutes ago, lyl94115 said:

Kelly isn't Adele or Kacey.Their divorce experiences and perspectives on relationships probably won’t be the same.

The thing I love about Kelly is that when she says an album is “personal” it’s really her telling her story the way she wants to tell it.

As much as I love Breakaway/My December/Stronger I NEVER expected chemistry to be a sequel to any of them. She is a constantly growing and evolving person so the landscape of her “personal record” would change. I guess we might ignore that sometimes. To me these aren’t “fillers” or “mediocre” songs, they’re equally good as her mega break-up songs because they all come from her heart, and I felt that. It’s just a simple matter of clicking with her way of telling story. 

It’s either that, or the songs just aren’t good enough to click with emotionally for everybody. Everyone loves Sober. Everyone loves Maybe. People click with BTHE. Less people seem to connect to this new material compared to some of her older, emotional/personal tracks. So maybe it’s just that the new songs simply aren’t as good.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ab1818 said:

Her saying he can keep the TOWELS, saying “blaming me, guess some things never change” are her pointing out some of the red flags. She actually lists some and they play well with the song. 

I’m a bit confused why some are so focused on the title of the song. “Irvine” from My December is an amazing song, but she never mentions the title or gives an explanation as to why it’s called that in the song. But that’s just me lol. :) 

She wrote it while touring in Irvine. We know that story and it makes perfect sense for that particular song. I’m sorry, but the fit between RFC as a song title and the song content/story, does not fit as well as Irvine. Nowhere near. I’m sure many would agree with me on this. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.