H100: Easy On Me 5x #1, Oh My God #5

Renan90

16 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Amazon is mostly online sales that count when shipped so the “closure” wouldn’t have impacted her much there, but nonetheless - I’m basically saying that it sold what it sold and it’s over and done now. Adele chose a week with a holiday; Taylor released in a global pandemic and her record wasn’t available at physical retailers at all. For every bit of context that makes Adele’s debut look better, there’s another bit of context that does so for Taylor. The only thing that matters in the end is the actual number.

7 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Trying to twist this into me somehow being dismissive of a deadly pandemic by simply acknowledging that US retailers are open and stocked now is… probably a step too far sis. :doc: I’m exiting, this was never that deep. Good luck to Adele in further weeks and congrats on the numbers.

Sis, there was no need to make this claim if you WEREN'T trying to state that. Get a grip. The stops you're trying to pull aren't cute. Most major retailers were closed this year as well. You ARE being dismissive of the pandemic and you aren't even accurate when doing so. Your exit is appreciated!

Edited by Gaia

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gaia

• georgechxng

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Brando

#1, Easy on Me
#5, Oh My God
#18, I Drink Wine
#23, My Little Love
#26, Can I Get It
#32, To Be Loved
#41, Strangers By Nature
#44, Cry Your Heart Out
#49, Hold On
#53, All Night Parking  
#55, Woman Like Me
#56, Love Is A Game

3 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

the last solo #1 to spend more than a month from a 2000s female: Hello by Adele

the current solo #1 to spend more than a month from a 2000's female: Easy on Me by Adele

that's 6 years in between, :priceless: 

lots of 2000s females released songs, with discounts, remixes, signed albums yet none spend more than 1 month #1 in those 6 years :priceless:

Olivia would have 12 weeks if not some kpop cheaters

Just now, UNNAMI said:

Olivia would have 12 weeks if not some kpop cheaters

is she a 2000's female like Rihanna, Taylor, Gaga, Katy?

or you confused it with being a female born in 2000s :priceless:

1 minute ago, supertiffany said:

is she a 2000's female like Rihanna, Taylor, Gaga, Katy?

or you confused it with being a female born in 2000s :priceless:

ok i can't read and I am stupid, sorry :D

females whose solo debut album was in the 2000s, with any solo #1s since Hello: Taylor, Adele.

Two popular hit artists, we know. 

Edited by fridayteenage

11 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Trying to twist this into me somehow being dismissive of a deadly pandemic by simply acknowledging that US retailers are open and stocked now is… probably a step too far sis. :doc: I’m exiting, this was never that deep. Good luck to Adele in further weeks and congrats on the numbers.

Eloquence isn’t for everyone, don’t take it personally.

41 minutes ago, Gaia said:

I’m aware you said vice versa but it still gave an overwhelming impression you’re minimizing the Swifties mess in all this :rip: 

There would be probably 5 people max talking about Taylor here if not for Swifties taking shots at Adele literally all week and living in her HDD threads

I honestly blame both parties equally. Equal mess from both sides

As for the second part, this thread would be flooded with Taylor shades anyways because people have always hopped on the Adele train to shade her, and that's undeniable, and it's also okay, because at the end of the day it's what ATRL is really made for tbh

3 minutes ago, itsjem said:

I honestly blame both parties equally. Equal mess from both sides

As for the second part, this thread would be flooded with Taylor shades anyways because people have always hopped on the Adele train to shade her, and that's undeniable, and it's also okay, because at the end of the day it's what ATRL is really made for tbh

The thing is, Taylor stans will say people are hiding behind Adele insinuating they’re not real fans, and then attack Adele. 

That’s what doesn’t add up to me. Why go after Adele if you know she doesn’t have a huge dedicated fanbase and her genuine fans could not care less about Taylor’s sales/achievements in comparison. 

Both have impressive careers in different rights, I’m not sure why Swifties would take bait they know clearly is bait. 

57 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Amazon is mostly online sales that count when shipped so the “closure” wouldn’t have impacted her much there, but nonetheless - I’m basically saying that it sold what it sold and it’s over and done now. Adele chose a week with a holiday; Taylor released in a global pandemic and her record wasn’t available at physical retailers at all. For every bit of context that makes Adele’s debut look better, there’s another bit of context that does so for Taylor. The only thing that matters in the end is the actual number.

This is not true. In the UK they shipped early. 

54 minutes ago, Gaia said:

You realize COVID still exists right :biblionny: 30 was already released in a global pandemic. sis. Turn on your TV. Read a newspaper. Do something other than obsessively stan Taylor. Europe literally went back into shutdown. America is still averaging over 70k cases :deadbanana4:

Covid is actually far worse NOW than it was when Folklore dropped. 

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

You realize COVID still exists right :biblionny: 30 was already released in a global pandemic. sis. Turn on your TV. Read a newspaper. Do something other than obsessively stan Taylor. Europe literally went back into shutdown. America is still averaging over 70k cases :deadbanana4:

Yes let's play dumb and pretend to not understand the difference between summer 2020 active nationwide quarantine vs. two years into a pandemic with mass vaccination and nearly all restrictions and closures lifted.

26 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

Yes let's play dumb and pretend to not understand the difference between summer 2020 active nationwide quarantine vs. two years into a pandemic with mass vaccination and nearly all restrictions and closures lifted.

Retail stores were open during the start of the pandemic :deadbanana2: People still got groceries and went shopping in 2020. What even is this excuse?

Restrictions didn't include grocery (Target, Walmart, etc.) stores. Sorry but her album was not any less available due to COVID. What stores were closed in July of 2020 that stunted her sales?

No one is playing dumb, just not falling for any dumb excuses. COVID was as real in 2020 as it is in 2021.

There were more US deaths from COVID in 2021 than 2020. Again, stop using COVID as an excuse. It's still very real and honestly pathetic.

Edited by Gaia

Congrats Adele!

Why are Swifties like this? 

Edited by Truth Tella
spelling

I still don't understand the Evermore "no physical or vinyl sales during first week" argument. Yes, that's true - it had no physical sales or vinyls, but even if we artificially added the 102k physical sales from week 2 and the 100k+ vinyls from when they shipped (which is wrong because the extra wait added more to those numbers), that makes for about 500k in the debut week. Which is basically top tier numbers for the post-bundle era. Only Drake, Taylor herself and Adele did more. So what's the problem? I remember defending Taylor in the HDD threads when Evermore debuted and many of her fans were saying that those were amazing numbers post-bundles and we just have to adjust to the new reality of not having huge numbers anymore, especially after Ariana did like below 200k with her last album, which was a steep decline from her previous album. 

I do believe Taylor will do more than 800k with her next big studio release, for a couple of reasons:

- streaming will only increase and she's the biggest female artist on streaming (amazing feat considering she was far behind others a few years ago)

- vinyl sales will only become bigger and she has a very loyal fanbase (deservedly so)

- her hype will be huge because she will be done with the re-recordings which is basically like a Greatest Hits tour de force, reminding everyone how good of an artist she is and introducing Gen Z (huge streaming source) to her biggest hits. It's like Superbowl on steroids every few months and it will do wonders for her. Again, this is all her merit - she's the only popular artist who could pull this off. Taylor is much more ambitious than Adele from a commercial standpoint and consequently a more interesting artist to follow on the charts, because she likes to feed the masses. This is why I'm not surprised by the Red TV numbers - the hype was through the roof, ATW 10 is literally her best song ever and reaching number 1 with it is a historic achievement (and the most impressive pop culture moment of the year in my opinion). So this argument about "600k no bundles WiTh a ReReCOrding!!" makes no sense to me. It's exactly because it's a rerecording of Red that people listened: they listened because of nostalgia, because it's a beloved album, because it's significant in pop culture and because the material was great. For example, 1 by the Beatles smashed effortlessly in 2000 because of nostalgia and because it reintroduced so many people to their hits.

That being said, at the moment, Adele is still the biggest player in the game in terms of overall numbers. It makes no sense to compare 30's numbers with Folklore, Scorpion, Reputation, Divide, Views or whatever big album came before it. That was a different market. So yes, Adele naturally declined in popularity, but also let's let Adele have her moment - it only comes once in a blue moon anyway. She won't begin to release every 2-3 years just to nurture a streaming fanbase and probably her next album will come in at least 5 years and will see an even bigger decline. 

All in all, Adele made headlines this week with a gigantic debut week for her new album and that's what people will take from this, not details about numbers of units. She also did this with a non-commercial, personal and very good body of work. Congrats :clap3:

Also, Taylor made headlines these weeks with breaking the record for the longest number 1 hit in history - with a fan favourite nonetheless! Congrats :clap3:

These ladies are killing it!

ariana-grande-interview.gif

5 hours ago, supertiffany said:

of course bundle contributes to something :priceless: not only 1k-10k difference :priceless:

if it wasnt how can you explain 800k to 600k and that's with 30 tracks & 4 months announcement. :priceless:

Actual studio album vs 7 new tracks that were rejected in 2012 :deadbanana4:

And 4 months of pre-orders does basically nothing more than 1 month

5 hours ago, Gaia said:

Going by Wikipedia (Correct me if I'm wrong swifties)

Folklore has sold 1.3-1.5M physical copies.

Evermore has sold 700-800k physical copies

I mean :rip: If this is true its pretty self-explanatory 

You seriously think folklore sold 600k bundles?:rip:

3 hours ago, georgechxng said:

it's the fact that they're gloating about a 7k difference when adele is the only artist to have a +800k debut post bundles and did that w only 6 days of sales instead of the usual 7 :bibliahh:

Taylor did it with 0 days of sales then

3 hours ago, Gaia said:

You’re asking a question that has literal 0 meaning. You can’t make a claim about how Adele’s sales would be if she released often because she never has.

Just like I can’t make any claims about Taylor not being able to pull off huge numbers with a 5-6 year break because she never has

Absolutely no artist would smash the same with 2 studio albums released that close together. No one. Not possible

2 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Covid is actually far worse NOW than it was when Folklore dropped. 

Yeah.... No

Vaccinations exist and who cares why folklore wasnt available in stores, the fact is that it wasnt.

And yeah crazy that the era didnt have insane longevity with no radio hits and her ignoring the obvious single choices. 

And her then completely ignoring evermore all together 

Edited by simmnfierzig

What is going on with the OTHs. My god :gaycat6:

Wonder what excuses they will find if TS10 debuts with 800k

9 hours ago, Gaia said:

Billie Eilish was the #1 popstar of 2019 with an alternative album. Curious as to how you think it's not a popular genre/sound.

Um... are you suggesting WWFA and Folklore sound the same :gaycat6:

9 hours ago, John Slayne said:

sure it was grandma, let's get you to bed 

OT: 

wondering if anyone will be able to open with 1M now that even Adele has failed. I am quite surprised by this, I really thought her label would push the album over 1M at all costs, but maybe the demand just isn't there. which is a shame since 30 is better than 25

Critics mostly categorize Folklore as an alternative, indie folk, and electro-folk album departing from the pop maximalism and synth-driven sound of Swift's previous works.[39][40] NMEwriter Hannah Mylrea characterized it as indie folk and alternative rock,[41] while the same magazine's Gary Ryan dubbed it indietronica and chamber pop.[42] Kaelen Bell of Exclaim! said Folklore is a laid-back pop record,[43] Variety's Chris Willman[44] and Pitchfork's Jillian Mapes[45] regarded it as chamber pop, Michael Sumsion of PopMatters described it as a blend of chamber-pop and alt-folk,[46] and Raisa Bruner of Time deemed it "alternative pop-folk".[47] Music journalist Amanda Petrusich, reviewing for The New Yorker, felt Folklore is a "genre-less" record that drifts toward atmospheric pop rather than folk.[48] In disagreement, The New York Times critic Jon Caramanica called it an atmospheric rock album abandoning pop.[49] Folklorealso incorporates indie rock,[50] electronica,[51] dream pop,[52] country,[41] and folk rock styles.[53] The Atlantic said the album "swims through intricate classical and folk instrumentation" held together by electronic music.[54]

Devoid of radio-friendly pop songs,[55][56] Folklore eschews the mainstream sound of Swift's older works.[44] It consists of mellow, cinematic, slow-paced ballads,[24][57][44] with a minimal,[45] lo-fi production,[58][59] and elegant melodies, together lending a modern spin on traditional songwriting.[57] It is built around neo-classical instrumentals, such as: soft,[51]sparse[45] and sonorous pianos,[57] moody,[45] picked[57] and burbling guitars,[51] glitchy and fractured electronic elements,[51] subliminal,[43] throbbing percussions,[60] mellow programmed drums, Mellotron,[44] sweeping orchestrations[45] with ethereal strings[52] and meditative horns.[61] The album does not fully avoid plush synths and programmed beats characteristic of Swift's pop music, but instead dials them down to a subtle texture,[57] delivering an electro-acoustic soundscape,[62] which highlights Swift's voice and lyrics.[63][44][52] Rolling Stone stated the album's tone resembles "Safe & Sound", Swift's 2012 single for The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond.[55] The Ringer noted that Antonoff confers a synth-based style to the record, while Dessner contributes a piano-leaning sound, and linked Folklore to two songs on Lover—"The Archer" and "It's Nice to Have a Friend"—as Swift's albums "usually have a couple tracks that harken back to the previous album or wind up connecting them to the next".[64]

:turkey:

6 hours ago, supertiffany said:

of course bundle contributes to something :priceless: not only 1k-10k difference :priceless:

if it wasnt how can you explain 800k to 600k and that's with 30 tracks & 4 months announcement. :priceless:

Because one is a decade old re-recording, are you serious :deadbanana4:

38 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

What is going on with the OTHs. My god :gaycat6:

Wonder what excuses they will find if TS10 debuts with 800k

Without bundles it wont debut at 800k 

she will do 16 covers for it or make it 64 covers with free cat hair and signed albums and begging on twitter

4 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Retail wasnt closed when Folklore dropped LOL. More lies. 

Were there any physical copies in store of Folklore first week. Yes or no, KatyKat :turkey:

2 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

Without bundles it wont debut at 800k 

she will do 16 covers for it or make it 64 covers with free cat hair and signed albums and begging on twitter

You know that she never did anything with cat hair, right?

But yeah 64 covers sounds realistic. Sure :gaycat6:

48 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Absolutely no artist would smash the same with 2 studio albums released that close together. No one. Not possible

Ariana would like a word :cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.