Billboard Charts (January 29 - February 4, 2017)

alexanderao

The premium tier of Pandora now allows unlimited skips (at least on the mobile app and the windows/mac app, not for web-based yet), so that might be why Billboard decided to finally include it.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• brianc33710

• NEZ

5 hours ago, rowlet said:

i thought Black Beatles and Bad & Boujee were too though. former had the mannequin challenge and latter had the "rain drop, drop top" meme

Hmm yeah I guess. Those two ended up catching on in sales and on demand streaming. Plus crossing over to T40. I'm just more hesitant to dub them that so explicitly.

the songs on radio and streaming platform are always sluggish. :doc:

Edited by truthteller

pandora? huh? 

So Starving could have been a T10 hit after all? I mean, its on-demand and sales certainly were more impressive than scars to your beautiful which is at #25 in sales and streaming even with pandora's help.

Edited by fridayteenage

Songs with the most weeks in the Country Digital T2 since the beginning of 2015, and their H100 peaks, as of last week:

23 Die a Happy Man - #21

21 Girl Crush - #18

17 Blue Ain't Your Color - #24
17 HOLY - #14
16 Take Your Time - #20
12 Kick the Dust Up - #26
11 Setting the World on Fire - #29
9 Humble and Kind - #30
8 Better Man - #41

8 Break Up in a Small Town - #29

So it's been a struggle even for big country hits to go T20.

Regarding Closer vs. Uptown Funk:

First, Closer's 26 week run: 

9-6-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-3-4-3-5-4-3

Closer ties UF's T 3 record this week, but probably won't break it. However, Closer could(should) tie UF and How Do I Live's 25 week Top 5 record next week. I don't know what happens beyond that. I want Closer to get to 29 weeks, maybe 30 in the Top 10, but it's just not big enough of a song to break any of UF's records.

Closer IS indeed bigger than UF at Top 40/Pop, and that's the predominant radio format for most ATRL members. Maybe that's why Closer seems so big to some of you, whereas UF was significantly bigger and more versatile at other formats.

Nothing against Closer, and nothing against One Sweet Day, as I like both songs. However, Closer isn't as big as UF, just like Macarena finished ahead of OSD on the 1996 Hot 100. OSD benefitted from great timing that kept it on top for 16 weeks. Closer is in many ways a mini UF, but far from a full-fledged UF.

Pandora shouldn't count as streams it's it's an Internet Radio Service, imo.

1 minute ago, iamvladd said:

Pandora shouldn't count as streams it's it's an Internet Radio Service, imo.

Billboard already weighs on-demand streams and programmed streams differently, so one Pandora stream (an example of the latter) should have a lesser influence than one Spotify or Apple Music stream (examples of the former).

I think it is a good move to include Pandora data, though, as there are definitely many people that use it as their primary way of consuming music.

3 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Billboard already weighs on-demand streams and programmed streams differently, so one Pandora stream (an example of the latter) should have a lesser influence than one Spotify or Apple Music stream (examples of the former).

I think it is a good move to include Pandora data, though, as there are definitely many people that use it as their primary way of consuming music.

Oh ok. I didn't read the part about them being weighted differently; so it's not that bad then.

I'm not saying that Pandora shouldn't be added, b/c a good number of ppl use it everyday to listen to music, but it feels kind of funny counting it towards streams lol. :toofunny2:

Edited by iamvladd

Positions that push us back to 2005:

A #4 seller with 42k; 2006's lowest was 45k.

A #5 seller with 40k; 2006's lowest was 42k.

A #6 seller with max 40k; 2006's lowest was also 42k.

Starboy last year already gave us a 2005-level #2 seller.

• ATRL Moderator

So, in this radio issue.

How the hell do they know someone didn't change the station?

If they play, let's say, a Beyoncé song and I change stations real quick, how do they know I did it and they aren't counting my % of their supposed audience for their chart? What if 90% of their audience changed the station and went back to it 5 mins later when they realized "If U Seek Amy" was playing? How do they know they lost most of their audience while playing certain song? It's not like 99% of those who changed station will call the radio station and say "girl, don't play that thing again". And they won't call to suggest a song neither. I have friends working for radio stations and they just choose whatever they like, adding unfair weight to the songs they say it's popular. 

The best way to determine how BB adjusted the metrics this week is to look at how Can't Stop The Feeling moves up or down later today on the Hot 100. Feeling always sold well, and had great airplay. However, it continuously underperformed with streaming.

Closer!  Sad it didnt break Mariahs record.:gaycat4:

Edited by Sheena

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

Positions that push us back to 2005:

A #4 seller with 42k; 2006's lowest was 45k.

A #5 seller with 40k; 2006's lowest was 42k.

A #6 seller with max 40k; 2006's lowest was also 42k.

Starboy last year already gave us a 2005-level #2 seller.

How unfortunate

:fan:

I don't see anything wrong with implement Pandora into Hot 100 chart, using airplay either. Hot 100 is chart based on popularity, so it's ok. But RIAA certifications should be based on pure revenue. 

2 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

The best way to determine how BB adjusted the metrics this week is to look at how Can't Stop The Feeling moves up or down later today on the Hot 100. Feeling always sold well, and had great airplay. However, it continuously underperformed with streaming.

With IDWLF at #5 we already know that sales influence was increased. 

QueenofCopyPaste
3 hours ago, TinkerbellClap said:

Wait so after MONTHS of power rotation, Alessia only just got a Top10?

Lead single "Here" peaked #5

9 hours ago, NEZ said:

people actually listen to the radio though. at least on the radio we have the power to request songs or change the station if we dont like what we here. thats how radio stations are able to continue to survive, by playing whats popular. there are pros and cons to everything. even sales. i feel like the younger generation are the ones buying music. i would hate if 100k teenagers dictated what the number one song was every week, especially when theyre more likely the ones to jump on trends or only buy a song because its popular.

Yeah cause radios totally listen to what ppl request. if song isnt already meant to be played they wont play i

35 minutes ago, Torturo said:

Yeah cause radios totally listen to what ppl request. if song isnt already meant to be played they wont play i

Radio has to listen to what people want to here. To a certain extend at least. Or else listeners will change the station.

QueenofCopyPaste

Why is BB going backwards? Why increase sales influence and lower streaming....

3 minutes ago, Jeiboy said:

Why is BB going backwards? Why increase sales influence and lower streaming....

Racism.