Billboard Charts (January 29 - February 4, 2017)

alexanderao

1 minute ago, Thuggin said:

But you don't even get to choose what you listen to like with other streaming platforms. I'm not doubting that the platform itself is popular.

I mean Spotify plays are also hugely decided by playlists and positions on playlists, so that's also not that fair. And airplay is being used too, but we're not doubting that? Even though there you also can't choose what you listen..

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• brianc33710

• NEZ

Yasss Alessia <3

Just now, Thuggin said:

But you don't even get to choose what you listen to like with other streaming platforms. I'm not doubting that the platform itself is popular.

I understand that, but it's still basically the same as radio, and I would never argue against getting rid of radio, when it's still the biggest way people hear music (and Pandora seems to be the second biggest based off those numbers).

• Alessia finally :clap3: im rooting for her
  • Starboy :deadbanana2: poor it
  • not Closer being back in the top 3 :eek:
  • why does it seem like Fake Love is always jumping from 9-11-9-11-9-11 etc 

I wonder if Shape of You's music video will push it back to #1. The top 10 is very interesting right now with 3 songs in close competition for #1 :duca:

3 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

I mean Spotify plays are also hugely decided by playlists and positions on playlists, so that's also not that fair. And airplay is being used too, but we're not doubting that? Even though there you also can't choose what you listen..

3 minutes ago, Chainsmoker said:

I understand that, but it's still basically the same as radio, and I would never argue against getting rid of radio, when it's still the biggest way people hear music (and Pandora seems to be the second biggest based off those numbers).

I guess my biggest concern is the top 100 on Pandora seems kind of random. Like Slumber Party being top 100 while a lot of hits right now aren't lol? The other metrics are at least a little more correlated with each other.

3 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

Well Spotify hit 100 million last June, and 40m were paid by September. Free users can't select songs unless on desktop or a tablet. So that doesn't really matter. Majority of streams likely come from shuffle play in general - hence the importance of being apart of top playlists.

A lot of people have missed this tidbit:

In order to ensure that the chart is not altogether static, we've introduced the concept of sunsetting. Research has shown that the ideal number of weeks a track should appear on a chart is 16 weeks, with some exceptions. This allows for a careful balance of unique tracks on a given chart, without running the risk of retiring tracks prematurely in the event that they continue to increase in popularity.

Tracks that are on a "hot streak" are exempt from the typical sunsetting rule. Hot streak refers to any track that has not yet reached its peak rank and spin count at 16 weeks. We want to capture music on the rise, so these tracks will remain on the chart past the 16-week sunset so long as the song has reached new heights within the past two weeks.

So any big streaming hits that don't appear in their top 100 are recurrent.

1 minute ago, Thuggin said:

I guess my biggest concern is the top 100 on Pandora seems kind of random. Like Slumber Party being top 100 while a lot of hits right now aren't lol? The other metrics are at least a little more correlated with each other.

I think that Next Big Sound chart doesn't include hits that are no longer gaining

In order to ensure that the chart is not altogether static, we've introduced the concept of sunsetting. Research has shown that the ideal number of weeks a track should appear on a chart is 16 weeks, with some exceptions. This allows for a careful balance of unique tracks on a given chart, without running the risk of retiring tracks prematurely in the event that they continue to increase in popularity.

Tracks that are on a "hot streak" are exempt from the typical sunsetting rule. Hot streak refers to any track that has not yet reached its peak rank and spin count at 16 weeks. We want to capture music on the rise, so these tracks will remain on the chart past the 16-week sunset so long as the song has reached new heights within the past two weeks.

Just now, Hector said:

Yeah, but it should be clarified that their data will still count towards the H100. The thing is that with Next Big's recurrents we won't even know their position, let alone their spins. SO FRUSTRATING!

3 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

I mean that's a solid concern, but it couldn't be an argument as to why Pandora shouldn't be included in the H100. But yeah the charts are all a bit ''messy'' 

EDIT: Hectors post kinda takes away your concern too, I guess? 

Edited by Navyofbadgals

liberalmusiclover

Sex with Me coming for wigs.  It's already PLATINUM so this is just the icing on the cake.

unfazedu3ria.thumb.gif.1e4149579e77bc47e

1 minute ago, teamlor said:

I think that Next Big Sound chart doesn't include hits that are no longer gaining

Okay, well if this is the case then I have no problem with it lol. The chart seemed kind of odd at first glance.

QueenofCopyPaste

Now predictions are gonna be more off and the Hot 100 will be harder to predict :'( :(

2 minutes ago, Jeiboy said:

Now predictions are gonna be more off and the Hot 100 will be harder to predict :'( :(

I think it kinda makes it more exciting now :duca: Even though, I love simmnfierzig's predictions, they kinda take away the excitement from the reveal.

Edited by Chainsmoker

5 minutes ago, Hector said:

Well not all.

T-Shirt or iSpy are certainly not recurrent

Explains Broccoli, Can't Stop The Feeling, Cheap Thrills, DLMD, Heathens, LMLY, Side to Side, etc not being there though

Just now, Chainsmoker said:

I think it kinda makes it more exciting now :duca: Even though, I love simmnfierzig's predictions, they kinda take away the excitement.

Mte :duca: 

QueenofCopyPaste

Pandora CAME THROUGH for Alessia :worship2: Perfect timing!

can someone ELI5 the new system on the h100? i don't really understand what changed :emofish: 

1 minute ago, rowlet said:

can someone ELI5 the new system on the h100? i don't really understand what changed :emofish: 

Pandora was added which makes streaming numbers overall quite a lot bigger.

Points for 1 stream were weighted down though so that balances out a bit. And points for 1 sale were increased.

Love On The Brain #14 :duca: comming for top 10 release a video 

Closer #3 :eek: 

Alessia Top 10 i still don't get why the song is Terrible!

Zayn & Taylor Top 5 !!

27 minutes ago, blackbeatxx said:

Where's the lie tho?

Rolling in the Deep

Call Me Maybe

On the Floor

We Found Love

Payphone

are all bigger

can someone explain the sunset rule? and what does it mean to falling songs and their longetivity on the charts

Please someone explain me WHY that trash Maroon 5's song is still SPAMMED on radio.

It's barely top20 on iTunes but they just won't stop the payola.