Billboard Charts (January 29 - February 4, 2017)

alexanderao

I'm ok with the sales influence going up. I pay for streaming but buying a song for $1.29 still holds more value.

my favorite chart is the HDD revenues chart. That's what matters at the end of the day imo 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• brianc33710

• NEZ

Just now, Superpower said:

I'm ok with the sales influence going up. I pay for streaming but buying a song for $1.29 still holds more value.

my favorite chart is the HDD revenues chart. That's what matters at the end of the day imo 

Why should what you think has value matter when we're talking about what matters for the Hot 100, which is a popularity chart (not a value chart)?

3 hours ago, Thuggin said:

But you don't even get to choose what you listen to like with other streaming platforms. I'm not doubting that the platform itself is popular.

Yeh you kinda do though. Firstly you give the original artist/genre you like (free choice). And from then on you give feedback (ie. thumbs up or down) to songs and it guesses what you like. This means if you don't like a song you're unlikely to hear it again... That's basically watered down choice again.

Just now, Superpower said:

Not dropped completely but weighted down more because of all the radio corruption and radio payola is 1000x worst than Spotify payola

True, radio payola needs to be stopped.

Omg. Your Body by Xtina debuted at #34 on the Hot 100 back in 2012 with 103k copies.

Fast forward to today...

2 minutes ago, opruh said:

True, radio payola needs to be stopped.

Let me just quote what I posted last page:

33 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

What do you think should determine a metric's influence on the Hot 100: how many people use it or the mechanisms that determine the songs they listen to while using it? I say the former.

If you're going to pay more attention to the moral value of a consumption method than its popularity, you won't end up with a popularity chart.

The Hot 100 tries to be as objective as possible. Decreasing the influence of radio because you don't like how the radio industry works strips it of that objectivity.

Edited by alexanderao

• ATRL Moderator

Why did it take so long for Pandora to be added if it's the biggest streaming service?

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Why did it take so long for Pandora to be added if it's the biggest streaming service?

sales keep getting worse. also pandora isnt super accurate but whatever. the songs are random and not even chosen. streaming is the future bullcrap.

1 hour ago, alexanderao said:

What do you think should determine a metric's influence on the Hot 100: how many people use it or the mechanisms that determine the songs they listen to while using it? I say the former.

so by that logic TV audience who hears songs during commercials and performances should count too?

Mess @ sales influence being increase. It's a dying metric lol.

Just now, Torturo said:

so by that logic TV audience who hears songs during commercials and performances should count too?

No, because those people aren't watching TV with the intent of listening to music. No one puts on a TV program so they can listen to the songs that play during ad breaks.

YESSS ALESSIA!!!! :clap3: I'm Yours next please

what are the chances of LOTB hitting the top 10 without promo?

Just now, alexanderao said:

No, because those people aren't watching TV with the intent of listening to music. No one puts on a TV program so they can listen to the songs that play during ad breaks.

but they watch shows where music is performed

4 minutes ago, Torturo said:

but they watch shows where music is performed

I mean, I don't think that's a very well-defined metric. If you can find a way (that the music industry and Billboard unanimously agree with) to classify certain shows as "shows where music is performed" (because some shows have performances more frequently than others) and then find a way to measure, with great accuracy, the amount of people that are present at the TV set when a performance is happening, and then find a way to equate that to chart points, you might have a better argument.

Edited by alexanderao

3 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

I mean, I don't think that's a very well-defined metric. If you can find a way (that the music industry and Billboard unanimously agree with) to classify certain shows as "shows where music is performed" (because some shows have performances more frequently than others) and then find a way to measure, with great accuracy, the amount of people that are present at the TV set when a performance is happening, and then find a way to equate that to chart points, you might have a better argument.

well if they can find "the ammount of people that are present by the radio station when song is aired" they can do same for TV

I mean we already get TV shows ratings, can't they use that?

Edited by Torturo

I think pandora was a nice addition but at the same time I don't. I haven't used it in like 2 years but doesn't it prevent you from skipping some songs? Like you can only skip a couple so often? Then you're forced to listen to some songs until you're able to skip again? Or am i wrong?

2 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

I think pandora was a nice addition but at the same time I don't. I haven't used it in like 2 years but doesn't it prevent you from skipping some songs? Like you can only skip a couple so often? Then you're forced to listen to some songs until you're able to skip again? Or am i wrong?

nope, sadly you're right.

Just now, NEZ said:

nope, sadly you're right.

See that she what I'm talking about that's why I deleted it lol. I got my Apple Music instead cuz I used to get mad when they played some songs I didn't wanna listen. And sometimes you search for a song and it doesn't play it.. its not really accurate to reflect popularity then.

6 minutes ago, Torturo said:

well if they can find "the ammount of people that are present by the radio station when song is aired" they can do same for TV

I mean we already get TV shows ratings, can't they use that?

No, because ratings only measure the amount of people that tuned in to the show during the whole show. We don't have a way of saying that there were X number of people that were specifically watching a performance. 

Ratings themselves can already be super inaccurate because

To find out who is watching TV and what they are watching, the company gets around 5,000 households to agree to be a part of the representative sample for the national ratings estimates. Nielsen's statistics show that 99 million households have TVs in the United States, so Nielsen's sample is not very large.

and trying to accurately estimate the number of people tuned in during such a specific amount of time as a single performance isn't feasible at the moment.

Edited by alexanderao

1 minute ago, YR. said:

RADIO should not be on the charts, it doesn't make any sense

people actually listen to the radio though. at least on the radio we have the power to request songs or change the station if we dont like what we here. thats how radio stations are able to continue to survive, by playing whats popular. there are pros and cons to everything. even sales. i feel like the younger generation are the ones buying music. i would hate if 100k teenagers dictated what the number one song was every week, especially when theyre more likely the ones to jump on trends or only buy a song because its popular.

51 minutes ago, umich said:

Closer :ahh:

Serving longass longevity, poor ATRL. :toofunny2:

radio should be on hot 100. it not like radios playing what they want, they are listening people and they want to play songs that people want. of course there is payola, but radios are really into people - if they would be playing songs, that people don't like they would lose audience.

if you are hearing song that you like on radio, you are staying with that. if not, you are changing radio station.