All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

30. Bernie Taupin

Bernie_Taupin_2011_Shankbone.JPG

Elton John's main lyrical collaborator, Bernie Taupin wrote eight #1 hits with him. In 1967, he answered an ad by Liberty Records A&R man Ray Williams who introduced him to pre-fame Elton John, and they began writing songs together. Bernie Taupin would write lyrics on his own, and then send them to Elton John who would compose music to them. They got their first hit with Elton John's sophomore self-titled album in 1970, with "Border Song" (#92) and then reached #8 with "Your Song" a few months later. Following several years of impressive success together, Bernie Taupin took a break from writing with Elton John in 1977 to co-write Alice Cooper's album "From The Inside".

A couple years later, Bernie Taupin returned to writing hits with Elton John, which continued into the 90s with hits like "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" and "Something About The Way You Look Tonight". He also got two major hits without Elton John in the mid 80s with "We Built This City" by Starship (#1 in 1985) and "These Dreams" by Heart (#1 in 1986), both co-written with Martin Page. Him and Elton John also got a writing credit on Aloe Blacc's "The Man"  for his interpolation of "Your Song" in 2014.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

367m - Rocket Man (Elton John)

288m - Your Song (Elton John)

286m - Tiny Dancer (Elton John)

261m - Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John, Kiki Dee)

221m - The Man (Aloe Blacc)

Table of Points

2pSxVxI.jpg
cUXYZBL.jpg
Cztqrxt.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

Edited by Ash12345

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

Wait, what Bernie (and Elton I’m assuming song) does The Man sample?

2 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Wait, what Bernie (and Elton I’m assuming song) does The Man sample?

It interpolates the line "you can tell everybody" from "Your Song".

Oh wow, I thought Bernie would be a little higher tbh, I was guessing Top 20. 

2 hours ago, 1989 said:

Oh wow, I thought Bernie would be a little higher tbh, I was guessing Top 20. 

That's because y'all are forgetting some people (although some of them deserve to be forgotten :gaycat5:).

Ebba Nilsson (Tove Lo)

Tove-Lo-2019.jpg

889m - Love Me Like You Do (Ellie Goulding)

725m - Habits (Tove Lo)

448m - Heroes we could be (Alesso feat. Tove Lo)

399m - Say It (Flume feat. Tove Lo)

388m - Close (Nick Jonas feat. Tove Lo)

Table of Points

b4qSUBQ.jpg

@Post Malone

29. Bruce Springsteen

bruce-springsteen-concert.jpg?fit=789,46

Bruce Springsteen played in various bands in high school and began to develop a cult following in his early 20s. In 1972, he got signed by Columbia Records and released his debut album "Greetings from Ashbury Park, N.J." in 1973 and his folksy style of rock was often compared to Bob Dylan. However, he struggled to achieved large-scale commercial success with his first two albums, his first songwriter Hot 100 hit was actually with a cover of his song "Sandy" by The Hollies (#85 in 1975). A larger budget was invested into the production of his third album, "Born To Run" in a last attempt at mainstream success, and Bruce Springsteen spent a long time struggling with his band and producers to get what he felt was the perfect sound. Although the album and its singles didn't top the charts, the title track still reached #23 and its songs received solid airplay on AOR rock radio. His music took on a more political focus with his next album "Darkness on the Edge of Town", which was followed by "The River" in 1980 and "Nebraska" in 1982. In the late 70s, pop acts such as Manfred Mann also began recording heavily rearranged covers of his songs, with their cover "Blinded By The Light" becoming the highest peaking song of Bruce Springsteen's songwriting career.

Although he was deemed unacceptable for service in the Vietnam War, many of Bruce Springsteen's friends served, and he wrote the title track to "Born In The U.S.A." about the working class men that fought in the war and the struggles and lack of support they experienced after coming home. The album, released in 1975 became the most successful of his career, with all seven singles reaching the top 10, and the album getting certified 15x Platinum. In 1988, in an effort to appease East Germany's frustrated youth, Bruce Springsteen was approved to give a concert in East Berlin, which was attended by 300,000 and watched by millions, but his anthemic music only gave the youth more courage and made them more restless, helping to contribute to the fall of the Berlin Wall a year later. He continued to released commercially successfully albums in the late 80s and 90s, and was even able to get the title track from his album "Working On A Dream" to chart on the Hot 100 in 2009. Despite being past his peak, he continues to have great success as a touring act, with over a billion in ticket sales with five big tours in the last two decades.

227m - Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen)

176m - Born In The U.S.A. (Bruce Springsteen)

156m - I'm On Fire (Bruce Springsteen)

147m - Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen)

116m - Streets of Philadelphia (Bruce Springsteen)

Table of Points

UJGWaNs.jpg
R1TCjmS.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

14 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

29. Bruce Springsteen

bruce-springsteen-concert.jpg?fit=789,46

Bruce Springsteen played in various bands in high school and began to develop a cult following in his early 20s. In 1972, he got signed by Columbia Records and released his debut album "Greetings from Ashbury Park, N.J." in 1973 and his folksy style of rock was often compared to Bob Dylan. However, he struggled to achieved large-scale commercial success with his first two albums, his first songwriter Hot 100 hit was actually with a cover of his song "Sandy" by The Hollies (#85 in 1975). A larger budget was invested into the production of his third album, "Born To Run" in a last attempt at mainstream success, and Bruce Springsteen spent a long time struggling with his band and producers to get what he felt was the perfect sound. Although the album and its singles didn't top the charts, the title track still reached #23 and its songs received solid airplay on AOR rock radio. His music took on a more political focus with his next album "Darkness on the Edge of Town", which was followed by "The River" in 1980 and "Nebraska" in 1982. In the late 70s, pop acts such as Manfred Mann also began recording heavily rearranged covers of his songs, with their cover "Blinded By The Light" becoming the highest peaking song of Bruce Springsteen's songwriting career.

Although he was deemed unacceptable for service in the Vietnam War, many of Bruce Springsteen's friends served, and he wrote the title track to "Born In The U.S.A." about the working class men that fought in the war and the struggles and lack of support they experienced after coming home. The album, released in 1975 became the most successful of his career, with all seven singles reaching the top 10, and the album getting certified 15x Platinum. In 1988, in an effort to appease East Germany's frustrated youth, Bruce Springsteen was approved to give a concert in East Berlin, which was attended by 300,000 and watched by millions, but his anthemic music only gave the youth more courage and made them more restless, helping to contribute to the fall of the Berlin Wall a year later. He continued to released commercially successfully albums in the late 80s and 90s, and was even able to get the title track from his album "Working On A Dream" to chart on the Hot 100 in 2009. Despite being past his peak, he continues to have great success as a touring act, with over a billion in ticket sales with five big tours in the last two decades.

227m - Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen)

176m - Born In The U.S.A. (Bruce Springsteen)

156m - I'm On Fire (Bruce Springsteen)

147m - Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen)

116m - Streets of Philadelphia (Bruce Springsteen)

Table of Points

UJGWaNs.jpg
R1TCjmS.jpg

Wtf!! I must listen to his discography.

All those 100%s for Bruce

Most of his songs being 100% him. The talent! The legend!

Springsteen with all those solo written songs.  :clap3:

Didn't know that Blinded By The Light was his either. 

Ciara Harris

ciara-amas-roaming-2019-billboard-1548.j

227m - One, Two Step (Ciara feat. Missy Elliott)

106m - Body Party (Ciara)

99m - Level Up (Ciara)

69m - Goodies (Ciara feat. Petey Pablo)

67m - I Bet (Ciara)

Table of Points

HuMe7Ch.jpg

@TurntUp

Robbie Robertson

rs-5081-rectangle.jpg?resize=900,600&w=4

144m - The Weight (The Band)

26m - Up On Cripple Creek (The Band)

21m - Ophelia (The Band)

12m - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down* (Joan Baez)

2m - Rag Mama Rag (The Band)

*The Band's version has 35m streams but didn't chart

Table of Points

xbbuReh.jpg

28. Timothy Mosley (Timbaland)

1550699211-Class_Hero.jpg?1550699211

As teenager in the late 80s, Timbaland got into DJing and production with many other artists from the Virginia Beach area that would later become highly successful in the hip hop world, including Missy Elliott, Pusha T, and Pharrell Williams. His friendship with Missy Elliott lead to him getting signed to Swing Mob where he worked as a producer and also experienced his first mainstream success with Missy when they worked on most of the songs on Aaliyah's "One In A Million" album together, including his first Hot 100 songwriter hit "If Your Girl Only Knew" (#11 in 1996), and several songs from her third and final album including "Try Again", his first #1 hit in 2000. He worked with Missy Elliott's albums for her solo career, a partnership that began with her debut album and endured for her entire career. Timbaland's production style incorporated both hip-hop and R&B, and later, pop influences which lead to great cross-over success and made him sought after by many successful artists such as Jay-Z, Nas and Ludacris, and also influenced the UK Garage subgenre of electronic music.

His mainstream pop success began when worked on a few songs from Justin Timberlake's "Justified" album, including "Cry Me A River". His pop success really exploded a couple years later, when he worked with producer-songwriter Danja (Nate Hills) on Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and Nelly Furtado's "Loose" albums, earning him five #1 songwriter hits in 2006. This was also when his own career as a recording artist peaked, collaborating with Danja, Timberlake and Furtado for his 2007 album "Shock Value", which included hits "The Way I Are" and "Give It To Me" and his remix of OneRepublic's "Apologize". He continued to make music with various pop artists in the late 00s and 2010s, although most of his biggest hits were with Justin Timberlake, such as "4 Minutes", "Suit & Tie", "Holy Grail", "Mirrors" and "Say Something". He also worked on several songs from Beyonce's self-titled album, including "Blow", "Partition" and "Drunk In Love".

945m - Without Me (Halsey)

464m - Mirrors (Justin Timberlake)

397m - Drunk In Love (Beyonce feat. Jay-Z)

392m - The Weekend (SZA)

336m - SexyBack (Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland)

Table of Points

xPiBvzB.jpg
bZxxNfE.jpg
DVeJAnG.jpg
meCAuty.jpg

8 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

28. Timothy Mosley (Timbaland)

As teenager in the late 80s, Timbaland got into DJing and production with many other artists from the Virginia Beach area that would later become highly successful in the hip hop world, including Missy Elliott, Pusha T, and Pharrell Williams. His friendship with Missy Elliott lead to him getting signed to Swing Mob where he worked as a producer and also experienced his first mainstream success with Missy when they worked on most of the songs on Aaliyah's "One In A Million" album together, including his first Hot 100 songwriter hit "If Your Girl Only Knew" (#11 in 1996), and several songs from her third and final album including "Try Again", his first #1 hit in 2000. He worked with Missy Elliott's albums for her solo career, a partnership that began with her debut album and endured for her entire career. Timbaland's production style incorporated both hip-hop and R&B, and later, pop influences which lead to great cross-over success and made him sought after by many successful artists such as Jay-Z, Nas and Ludacris, and also influenced the UK Garage subgenre of electronic music.

His mainstream pop success began when worked on a few songs from Justin Timberlake's "Justified" album, including "Cry Me A River". His pop success really exploded a couple years later, when he worked with producer-songwriter Danja (Nate Hills) on Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and Nelly Furtado's "Loose" albums, earning him five #1 songwriter hits in 2006. This was also when his own career as a recording artist peaked, collaborating with Danja, Timberlake and Furtado for his 2007 album "Shock Value", which included hits "The Way I Are" and "Give It To Me" and his remix of OneRepublic's "Apologize". He continued to make music with various pop artists in the late 00s and 2010s, although most of his biggest hits were with Justin Timberlake, such as "4 Minutes", "Suit & Tie", "Holy Grail", "Mirrors" and "Say Something". He also worked on several songs from Beyonce's self-titled album, including "Blow", "Partition" and "Drunk In Love".

945m - Without Me (Halsey)

464m - Mirrors (Justin Timberlake)

397m - Drunk In Love (Beyonce feat. Jay-Z)

392m - The Weekend (SZA)

336m - SexyBack (Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland)

Such an inspiration! This man is one of the most successful, original and creative urban/pop hip-hip composers of the past 20+ years. He has his ways arounds sounds and samples!

Glad that he made the top 30!!

Lol at 4 minutes having exactly 2008 points

Timbaland :clap3: 

Somehow during his peak his sound was insufferable, but years later I still listen to most of the songs he co-wrote and produced! He was the best with Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake!

11 hours ago, Mr. Duff said:

Timbaland :clap3: 

Somehow during his peak his sound was insufferable, but years later I still listen to most of the songs he co-wrote and produced! He was the best with Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake!

and Missy and Aaliyah :clap3:

27. Phil Collins

UTkaOPhnREqLzzC-800x450-noPad.jpg?152634

Phil Collins got his start as a drummer, he also tried his hand at acting, but ultimately realized music was his true calling and joined the rock band Genesis after their old drummer left in 1970, and helped write their songs and sing backing vocals. In 1975, Peter Gabriel left the band and Phil Collins replaced him as their main vocalist. A few years later, he got his first Hot 100 hit with Genesis' "Follow You Follow Me" (#23 in 1978) as the band began shifting from prog rock to a more mainstream pop-rock sound. The next year, the members of Genesis all began working on solo projects, including Phil Collins who released his solo debut, "Face Value", which included his most popular song, "In The Air Tonight". He adopted a gated reverb effect on the drums on that song, which his producer had previously used on a Peter Gabriel song, and it became a distinctive aspect of his music going forward.

The late 70s and 80s saw Phil Collins work on a variety of projects. Besides alternating between making music for his solo career and working with Genesis, he also played drums and occasionally helped on production for many other artists' records, including for Robert Plan of Led Zeppelin, Anni-Frig Lyngstad of ABBA, Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind & Fire, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Brand X, Thin Lizzy. In 1984, he released the title track for the "Against All Odds" soundtrack, which was his first #1 hit, and would later release several more big soundtrack hits including "Two Hearts" for Buster (in which he also starred), and finally he wrote and produced the Tarzan soundtrack, including the 1999 smash hit "You'll Be In My Heart". 1985 marked the release of his most popular album, "No Jacket Required", which represented a shift towards a more Adult Contemporary sound, and contained four top 10 hits, including #1 hits "Sussudio" and "One More Night". He followed that a year later with Genesis' most popular album, "Invisible Touch" which included five top 5 hits, including the #1 charting title track. He continued to have significant success in the 1990s, twenty years after his 1970 debut in Genesis, with sixteen Hot 100 hits in that decade. He briefly re-entered the charts as a songwriter in 2018 with Meek Mill's sample of "In The Air Tonight" on "Intro".

274m - In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins)

161m - You'll Be In My Heart (Phil Collins)

154m - Another Day In Paradise (Phil Collins)

114m - Against All Odds (Phil Collins)

109m - Easy Lover (Phil Collins, Philip Bailey)

Table of Points

yi2WGN7.jpg
sYCxcir.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.