• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

Incredible classics. I love how RnB and Rap artists keep those classics alive with those samples and sometimes covers. 

----

I wonder if Otis Redding (my 2nd fave male artist after Prince) is going to make it, I doubt it but I thought maybe with Respect and Kanye's songs, he would have at least debuted low. Aretha's Respect did chart but it's true most of the samples Kanye used, like Gone 4 ex., were not released as singles, except for Watch The Throne. 

11 hours ago, butterflysupreme said:

Yes! Chill inducing song.

I like it quite a lot too, I had it in my regular rotation for a couple years before rep era. It's pretty fun to sing along to as well, although one of her more difficult songs (at least for my voice).

Anyways, the next reveal has 211 entries as a songwriter.

Edited by Ash12345

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

I like it quite a lot too, I had it in my regular rotation for a couple years before rep era. It's pretty fun to sing along to as well, although one of her more difficult songs (at least for my voice).

Anyways, the next reveal has 210 entries as a songwriter.

Drake?

35. Aubrey Drake Graham

drake-june-4-2019-ee-billboard-1548.jpg

The highest ranking Canadian on the list, Drake is also the songwriter with the most Hot 100 entries. After acting in Degrassi, Drake began working on mixtapes with artists like Frank Dukes, Boi-1da, Trey Songz and Lupe Fiasco. After Drake sampled Lil Wayne on one of his songs, Lil Wayne invited him onto his Tha Carter III tour and they recorded a few songs together. In 2009, he achieved his first mainstream commercial success with his mixtape "So Far Gone" which included the likes of Lil Wayne, Trey Songz, Lloyd and Omarion as featured artists. The mixtape included his first hit, "Best I Ever Had" which reached #2 on the Hot 100 later that summer. That success lead to a bidding war among labels which ended in Drake getting signed to Lil Wayne's Young Money Entertainment. He scored several more hits in late 2009 and early 2010 until he released his debut album, "Thank Me Later" in 2010, which included #5 hit "Find Your Love". He continued using Boi-1da as a producer on that album, and he was also notably joined by Noah "40" Shebib, two producers who would continue to work on much of Drake's music throughout his career.

Drake got his first #1 hit by appearing on Rihanna's "What's My Name?" at the end of 2010. Collaborations have been important throughout much of Drake's career, many of his early hits were collaborations with other popular artists, and later in his career, he boosted many lesser known artists as they benefited from his name recognition in their collaboration. After coming close several times, Drake had his first #1 hit as a solo artist with "One Dance" from his album "Views" in 2016. The tremendous success of his two latest studio albums "Views" and "Scorpion" have helped cement Drake as the most successful hip-hop artist of the 2010s. His music has generally been more pop-leaning than many of the rappers that preceded him, incorporating elements of dancehall, R&B, and melodic vocals, and frequently emotional lyrics focusing on his relationships.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

1804m - One Dance (Drake feat. Kyla & Wizkid)

1463m - God's Plan (Drake)

1012m - Work (Rihanna feat. Drake)

965m - In My Feelings (Drake)

929m - Sicko Mode (Travis Scott)

Table of Points

JRYgmA9.jpg

gqfRvmB.jpg

eIyhQSI.jpg

W1ts2pB.jpg

mDuJs2m.jpg

yCw0eLN.jpg

m5BVDZt.jpg

WM3teG3.jpg

(songs in bold are still charting)

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

So many songs, but nothing over 33% on his big hits. :skull:

57 minutes ago, Witch Privilege said:

So many songs, but nothing over 33% on his big hits. :skull:

It’s called hip hop :cm:

What are the 3 songs Drake co-wrote but didn’t feature / perform on?

Thought one of the was Rita’s RIP but that never charted on the Hot 100

4 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

What are the 3 songs Drake co-wrote but didn’t feature / perform on?

Thought one of the was Rita’s RIP but that never charted on the Hot 100

Ella Mai's Shot Clock and Yikes and Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1 by Kanye West.

That number of entries :eek: 

He may not have a big credit on those songs but those are still a lot of entries :clap3: 

He did really well! Kudos!

42 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

What does a 3% mean? 33 songwriters?

The percentages are rounded to the nearest integer so only 30 songwriters.:toofunny2:

11 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

The percentages are rounded to the nearest integer so only 30 songwriters.:toofunny2:

:rip::rip::rip: @ this basicness having more writers than Taylor's ENTIRE discography :dies:

3 hours ago, Michael196 said:

:rip::rip::rip: @ this basicness having more writers than Taylor's ENTIRE discography :dies:

Guest artists who presumably wrote their own lines

1. Khalif Brown (aka Swae Lee)

2. Aubrey Graham (aka Drake)

3. John Hawkins (aka Big Hawk)

Producers who presumably got writing credits for making the beats - there's three different beats because the song has multiple sections. Mike Dean might've helped with other stuff too.

4. Roget Chahayed

5. Ozan Yildirim (aka OZ)

6. Kevin Gomringer (aka Cubeatz)

7. Tim Gomringer (aka Cubeatz)

8. Brytavious Chambers (aka Tay Keith)

9. Chauncey Hollis (Hit-Boy)

10. Mike Dean

OZ has a friend who's a Swiss washing machine salesman and part time musician that helped provide a synth sound:

11. Mirsad Dervic (aka M-Dee)

Interpolation of I Wanna Rock (Uncle Luke)

12. Luther Campbell (aka Uncle Luke)

-I Wanna Rock samples That's The Way I Like It (KC & The Sunshine Band)

-->13. Harry Casey (aka KC)

-->14. Richard Finch (the band's co-founder and bass guitarist)

Sample of Gimme The Loot (Notorious B.I.G.)

15. Christopher Wallace (aka The Notorious B.I.G.)

16. Osten Harvey (aka Easy Mo Bee), the producer for Gimme The Loot

-Gimme The Loot samples Scenario remix (A Tribe Called Quest feat. Leaders of The New School and Kid Hood)

--> A Tribe Called Quest

------> 17. Kamaal Fareed (aka Q-Tip)

------> 18. Malik Taylor (aka Phife Dawg)

------> 19. Muhammad Jones (aka Ali Shaheed Muhammad)

--> Leaders of The New School

-----> 20. Bryan Higgins (aka Charlie Brown)

-----> 21. James Jackson (aka Dinco D)

-----> 22. Trevor Smith (aka Busta Rhymes)

-Gimme The Loot also samples Just To Get A Rep (Gang Starr)

-->23. Keith Elam (aka Guru)

-->24. Chris Martin (aka DJ Premier)

-Gimme The Loot also samples Throw Ya Gunz (Onyx)

-->25. Fred Scruggs (aka Fredro Star)

-->26. Kirk Jones (aka Sticky Fingaz)

-->27. Tyrone Taylor (aka Sonny Seeza)

-->28. Chylow Parker

Whatever is left:

29. Cydel Young (aka CyHi the Prynce)

30. Jacques Webster (aka Travis Scott)

Edited by Ash12345

It's important to keep in mind that when it comes to Drake, many of his entries are as a result of album bombs. Especially from 2015-2018. Also, many rappers more than one producer on songs, along with loads of samples, which end up crediting a lot of other names and hence, the lead artists end up with very few point percentages. Still, it's impressive he's got over 29K points. He might be the highest rapper on the list at #35. 

Edited by onewillowsilk

This type of list isn’t really geared towards rappers naturally, so for him to be well into the Top 50 is impressive. 

34. Norman Whitfield

513872-3x2-940x627.jpg

Born in Harlem, Norman Whitfield's family moved to Detroit when he was in his late teens, and he found work at Motown, helping them decide which songs should get released or not. He later got involved in other roles, and the first hit he co-wrote was Marvin Gaye's "Pride and Joy" (#10 in 1963). In 1966, he took over for Smokey Robinson as the main producer of The Temptations, and used his role as their producer to experiment with new sounds, taking on psychedelic rock and funk influences, and branching out from love songs to songs covering social and political issues. Initially his main co-writer was Eddie Holland, but then he switched to working primarily with Barrett Strong in the late 60s, both of whom were more involved on the lyrical side while he was more involved with the production and arrangements.

However, The Temptations didn't like some of the changes he was making, and combined with the impact of Motown moving to Los Angeles in 1972, Norman Whitfield left Motown to start his own label in 1975, and signed acts like Rose Royce and The Undisputed truth, and produced and wrote several hits for them. His career slowed down in the late 70s and he returned to Motown to write his last few hits in the early 80s, like Paul Young's "Wherever I Lay My Hat. His last chart entry was in 2008, thanks to a sample of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" on Hot Stylz's song "Lookin Boy".

175m - I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)

74m - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (The Temptations)

66m - War (Edwin Star)

66m - Ain't Too Proud To Beg (The Temptations)

53m - Oh Boy (Cam'Ron)

Table of Points

z4udQVS.jpg
NgbMMGJ.jpg
vpxKLds.jpg
6G5hdnR.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

33. Eddie Holland

ngcb6

Eddie Holland was the main lyricist and vocal producer behind the famous Motown songwriting and production team Holland-Dozier-Holland. He started out as a Motown recording artist in the late 50s and had a few minor hits, most of which he didn't write. However, once he began writing and producing with Lamont Dozier and his brother Brian, he realized that was a better fit for him as he lacked the confidence needed to be a performer and decided to work exclusively behind the scenes. Holland-Dozier-Holland experienced tremendous success in the mid 1960s with groups like The Supremes, Four Tops and Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. Eddie Holland also wrote with Norman Whitfield during this time (without his brother and Lamont Dozier).

In 1967, they got into a legal conflict with Motown Records over royalties that caused them to leave Motown and start their own labels. The acts they signed were successful on the r&b and rock charts, but weren't as success on the pop charts as when the team was working with Motown. By the mid 70s, the legal situation was rather complicated since the Holland brothers were now also suing Lamont Dozier after he left them, and also continued writing songs for Motown artists, all while litigation with Motown was still ongoing, and requiring them to write them under the pseudonym of Wayne-Dunbar instead. Their string of hits had largely ended by the late 70s, although they still experienced commercial success with covers, samples and interpolations, such as Phil Collins' cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" in 1982 and Lil Wayne's sample of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" on Uproar in 2018.

414m - You Can't Hurry Love (Phil Collins)

180m - I Can't Help Myself (Four Tops)

145m - Uproar (Lil Wayne)

93m - Baby Love (The Supremes)

85m - How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You (Jr. Walker & The All Stars)

Table of Points

YuT8JYX.jpg
QE0mgY6.jpg

EjustEJ.jpg

8a2NX3S.jpg
jI9pYLy.jpg
MklEKUN.jpg

Such a huge discography. Holo moly.

32. George Michael

27appraisal-georgemichael-videoSixteenBy

Songwriter and producer George Michael has had eight #1 Hot 100 hits as a songwriter, all but one of which were solo written. He got his start in music busking and working as a DJ, before forming Wham! in 1981. Their debut album, "Fantastic!" experienced significant success in the UK, with songs like "Club Tropicana" and "Young Guns", but only "Bad Boys" charted in the US (#60 in 1963). That quickly changed with their second album, "Make It Big", with the lead single "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" reaching #1, which was followed by "Careless Whisper" (#1), "Freedom" (#3) and "Everything She Wants" (#1). As a double A-side of "Everything She Wants", he also released "Last Christmas", and donated the proceeds for the song towards relief for the Ethiopian famine. In 1985, following 18 months of negotiations, Wham! began a tour of China, as the first Western act to tour the country.

In 1987, George Michael released his first solo album, "Faith", which spawned six top 5 singles, including four #1s, "Faith", "Father Figure", "One More Try" and "Monkey", and earned him Album of the Year at the Grammys. He followed that up with "Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1" in 1991, which touched on social issues, but he mostly performed cover songs on the tour that followed and refused to do promotion for the album, so it experienced more moderate commercial success. His output in the next dozen years was quite low, with no touring, and only one album of original songs ("Older" in 1996) and a couple stand-alone singles. However, in 2004 he released his album "Patience", and then embarked in a three year long tour in 2006. Following his death in 2016, "Last Christmas" became enough of a holiday favorite to return to the charts on a yearly basis.

589m - Last Christmas (Wham!)

363m - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (Wham!)

320m - Careless Whisper (George Michael)

192m - Faith (George Michael)

90m - Freedom! '90 (George Michael)

Table of Points

tihE865.jpg
OP51wAN.jpg

The amount of CLASSICS that were 100% solo written, I-

George :worship2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.