Countries with no charts/certifications

KillingYourCareer

Hello ATRLers, this thread is especially aimed at music chart and certification enthusiasts. If you follow the charts closely or even casually, you'll sure be interested.

Yesterday, I was wondering how limited our music receipts are compared to how they can potentially be. I made a quick research, and it turned out that there are 42 countries in the world where there is an active national music industry association, but either no weekly SPS charts or no certification, or (often) both. I've created this map to show the situation:

hWBf3Tq.jpg

I've decided to contact by e-mail each one of the recording industries of the countries that aren't completely blue, asking them whether there are any plans to launch weekly SPS charts, as well as a certification system, and arguing that not only artists would be rewarded by having their success officially recognized in their territory – charts and certifications would also attract the attention of international artists and labels on them, growing their potential and prestige as an industry. (And of course, music enthusiasts would have a wider array of receipts available for use.)

Now, I'm not expecting all 42 to reply to my inquiries (which were written formally and professionally, so they know it's no joke), but after a few hours eight countries have already gotten back at me.

• Costa Rica (FONOTICA): they replied asking me for details, they don't seem too keen on it, but I argued that Costa Rica is only second to Mexico in Central America in terms of music consumption and other things, hopefully they'll think about it.
  • Finland (IFPI Finland): their certifications were discontinued in 2016, but they assured me news on it will be "updated by the end of the year" on their website (I assume with new thresholds), with the first certifications coming in 2020.
  • Greece (IFPI Greece): their certifications have been inactive for nearly a decade, but they replied to me that they're "working on it", aiming at bringing them back by 2020.
  • Guatemala (AGINPRO): their recording industry association's CEO replied to me directly, saying he was highly interested in my suggestion and asking me for more information, which I provided to him. He even asked to hold a meeting!
  • Latvia (LaIPA): they have no plans on reintroducing their certification system (suspended in 2002), but at least they do have a sales plus streaming top 30 chart for albums and singles that they update every Friday.
  • Romania (UFPR): they replied in a rude manner, asking me to reveal which company I'm representing and lecturing me on how they've been in the business for 23 years. I informed them that it was just a casual inquiry, and that it's sad how in 23 years they haven't even thought of creating an official chart or a certification system for Romania – a country of 20 million with a vibrant music industry that deserves better representation. To make them seethe, I added that their not-so-beloved neighbors Hungary's recording industry association has a practical website with an archive featuring all their charts and certifications starting from 1993. Hopefully, this will stimulate them.
  • Taiwan (RIT): they informed me that they do have an active certification system (although on their website no new certification since 2011 is listed), but unfortunately they have no plans on creating any charts, even streaming-only like other Asian countries.
  • Uruguay (CUD): launched a weekly top 10 streaming chart and certification system this month, three singles have already been certified Gold (the threshold is 640,000 streams – such a random number), thus becoming the third Latin American country currently actively issuing certifications after Brazil and Mexico. Their website will be updated with a certification archive by the beginning of 2020. I should add, congratulations to their excellent PR!

So, if you're as passionate as me on music stats, and if you're from one of these countries that need to do something more with their music industry, you're free to join me in this endeavor! I'll keep you guys updated in case anyone else replies to my inquiries.

Edited by KillingYourCareer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KillingYourCareer

• Halcyon Nights

• getback

• Souvenir

I really wonder what HDU will write in their letter. Croatia is only certifying physical albums and I don't think anything got even a Silver certification this year. :skull:

We have an airplay chart and HDU works together with Deezer so they have all the data for a SPS chart/certification system since Deezer is the only available streaming service here. A flop, not surprised.

Slovenia used to have an album chart but it went defunct like maybe 10 years ago. They have an airplay chart. 

Serbia, N. Macedonia, Montenegro and BiH don't have nothing. :soda:

7 minutes ago, greeneyedsoul said:

I really wonder what HDU will write in their letter. Croatia is only certifying physical albums and I don't think anything got even a Silver certification this year. :skull:

We have an airplay chart and HDU works together with Deezer so they have all the data for a SPS chart/certification system since Deezer is the only available streaming service here. A flop, not surprised.

Slovenia used to have an album chart but it went defunct like maybe 10 years ago. They have an airplay chart. 

Serbia, N. Macedonia, Montenegro and BiH don't have nothing. :soda:

Serbia is yellow, I contacted them! I still haven't e-mailed HDU because I don't know what to tell them. What are they supposed to do? Certify Deezer streams? The fact that you guys have a pure sales albums chart is already something major... :skull:  for Slovenia I also don't know what to say, they have iTunes and Apple Music but the industry seems to be too tiny to allow anything.

I got so excited when Billboard Philippines was launched wayback 2016, but they discontinued it after 1 year due to lack of profit (?). It sucks because streaming is really a huge thing right now in the Philippines. PARI still gives certifications left and right but they stopped updating their list of certifications awarded in their website. :sad: 

11 minutes ago, Baby Judas said:

I got so excited when Billboard Philippines was launched wayback 2016, but they discontinued it after 1 year due to lack of profit (?). It sucks because streaming is really a huge thing right now in the Philippines. PARI still gives certifications left and right but they stopped updating their list of certifications awarded in their website. :sad: 

What industries like PARI don't understand is that publishing charts and officializing certifications on their website will only attract foreign artists, labels and investors. Major music consuming countries like the Philippines, Argentina and Chile honestly have NO excuse, especially when we have small countries like Hungary out there handing out certifications (2,000 units for Gold), with a beautiful website for their charts and archives.

Russia - still not have official chart (only radio chart which doesn't include all radios & doesn't track early years). Also, there are no official automatically updated certifications (only some songs for which certification creates by label of artist)... but nonetheless, there are sale indicators for certifications.. 

Edited by JoAddams

India has a certification system. They revamped it early this year with the help of IFPI. 

https://indianmi.org/?id=10720&t=Awards

Certifications are issued on payment tho. A normal cert costs about 75$ and a full plaque costs 150$

Some artists like DJ Snake started certifying their stuff but there isn't any public database yet. You either have to be a member or figure out from pictures posted by artists :skull:

1 hour ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Guatemala (AGINPRO): their recording industry association's CEO replied to me directly, saying he was highly interested in my suggestion and asking me for more information, which I provided to him. He even asked to hold a meeting!

oh wow :eek:

33 minutes ago, JoAddams said:

Russia - still not have official chart (only radio chart which doesn't include all radios & doesn't track early years). Also, there are no official automatically updated certifications (only some songs for which certification creates by label of artist)... but nonetheless, there are sale indicators for certifications.. 

InterMedia's website publishes separate weekly charts for each sales and streaming service available in the country... like what? :skull: I suggested them to make a comprehensive one. As for certifications, labels love making them up... so you only need to trust official sources.

19 minutes ago, marsblyr said:

India has a certification system. They revamped it early this year with the help of IFPI. 

https://indianmi.org/?id=10720&t=Awards

Certifications are issued on payment tho. A normal cert costs about 75$ and a full plaque costs 150$

Some artists like DJ Snake started certifying their stuff but there isn't any public database yet. You either have to be a member or figure out from pictures posted by artists :skull:

Yeah, I figured that they don't have any public archives for certifications which is like they don't have them at all, since nobody's going to know about them. I asked them if they're planning on creating one - maybe the certification system is rather new and, like Uruguay, they're waiting for a number of certifications big enough before opening an archive. They also revealed earlier this year that a singles chart is coming, although it includes airplay which is tragic as it means it'll only be Hindi songs.

Update: Costa Rica's representative has revealed to me that they're discussing a certification system on a regional level, which will also include Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala! :clap3:

There's a Billboard Vietnam but there's no chart nor certification system atm. Last time I checked, they said they were working on it.

Just now, Halcyon Nights said:

we don't need charts. There are top 100 on Spotify and Apple Music for my country

And? Israel needs comprehensive charts for both albums (as physical music still exists) and singles (combining all the streaming services). Spotify or Apple Music charts alone are not official.

3 minutes ago, BadX said:

There's a Billboard Vietnam but there's no chart nor certification system atm. Last time I checked, they said they were working on it.

I'm looking at the website now, and there isn't even a Vietnam Hot 100 or a chart of any sort. Just links to the US charts. But unlike the Philippines, there's no IFPI-approved recording industry association in Vietnam, so we need to hold Billboard tight even though its methodology is terrible, and convince them to get going with the charts and certifications. Thanks for reporting! :heart2:

Just now, KillingYourCareer said:

And? Israel needs comprehensive charts for both albums (as physical music still exists) and singles (combining all the streaming services). Spotify or Apple Music charts alone are not official.

we don't have albums charts but albums aren't released that often and people don't usually buy them, they stream them.

yet there are actually certifications for albums. We also have a singles chart called Media Forest based on radio mostly i think but no one actually cares about it. The major chart is the one of the major radio station in Israel. People wouldn't care about any other chart than that except Spotify / Apple Music / Youtube..

4 minutes ago, Halcyon Nights said:

we don't have albums charts but albums aren't released that often and people don't usually buy them, they stream them.

yet there are actually certifications for albums. We also have a singles chart called Media Forest based on radio mostly i think but no one actually cares about it. The major chart is the one of the major radio station in Israel. People wouldn't care about any other chart than that except Spotify / Apple Music / Youtube..

Media Forest is airplay-only and in no ways represents Israel's music consumption. Certifications are awarded by record labels, so they're virtually unofficial. A SPS-based chart and a real certification system regulated by IFPI Israel would only bring prestige to the country's music industry and attract foreign artists and labels. In conclusion, if you aren't interested and if you think single streaming services' charts are more important than having an all-around official national chart, you can leave the thread.

29 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

InterMedia's website publishes separate weekly charts for each sales and streaming service available in the country... like what? :skull: I suggested them to make a comprehensive one. As for certifications, labels love making them up... so you only need to trust official sources.

Yeah, I figured that they don't have any public archives for certifications which is like they don't have them at all, since nobody's going to know about them. I asked them if they're planning on creating one - maybe the certification system is rather new and, like Uruguay, they're waiting for a number of certifications big enough before opening an archive. They also revealed earlier this year that a singles chart is coming, although it includes airplay which is tragic as it means it'll only be Hindi songs.

Not really, the language consumption is pretty diverse so Hindi is not going to dominate as much as you think, atleast on airplay. But it's gonna be filled with movie soundtrack songs either way so pretty useless yeah.

Just now, KillingYourCareer said:

Media Forest is airplay-only and in no ways represents Israel's music consumption. Certifications are awarded by record labels, so they're virtually unofficial. A SPS-based chart and a real certification system regulated by IFPI Israel would only bring prestige to the country's music industry and attract foreign artists and labels. In conclusion, if you aren't interested and if you think single streaming services' charts are more important than having an all-around national chart, you can leave the thread.

girl no need to attack I have no idea what SPS means, I litreally just mentioned how the charts work here as I live here. 

No I won't leave the thread I actually know what people in Israel care about. I haven't criticized your thread or anything so idk why you're being so protective. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.