• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Headlock

• Agenor

Finally Despacito is over. 

giphy.gif

Mariah's record is *partially* safe. The lambs should be kind to T. Swift moving forward. 

Edited by Navyboy20

I hate to beat a dead horse but I think adjusting sales to the sales of other climates is the best way to make comparisons. With that said, I think it severely overestimates things. I think in 2011, Hello would have opened with like 1.3 million instead of 1.1 and 25 would have still opened with just 3.4 million in 2002. None of this diamond in a week BS. :rip: I think Taylor would have done like 650k with Look in 2011 which is fantastic. But not 1 million. Obviously this is just my opinion. These adjustments just seem sketchy to me. I think Taylor and Adele are just anomalies and sell more consistent than others regardless of the climate they are selling in. Once again no really evidence to this (just like there is no real evidence to say that adjustments to different sales climates work) just my two cents.

Anyway, I'm not trying to downplay Taylor, she did fantastic! Its great to see artists who can still consistently put up great numbers.:clap3: 

I think y'all are reading into it to much, the sales adjustation is just to give context so we understand how impressive it is. I think some people just argue for the sake of arguing.

the ones who would buy single in 2012 or 2014, they streamed songs. and more. get used to that people

Edited by UNNAMI

2 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Her overall numbers were very good.  Her streams were phenomenal. Her sales were disappointing.

but I realize it is 2017 and the slightest negative comment on  a topic means you hate the person and putting them down.

in fact though, it is possible to make negative comments and still be Impressed, contrary to the current philosophy on the matter.

Her sales are not disappointing no matter how you twist it. She sold more than any female artist first week since like 2015.

Haters are fuming!

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Her overall numbers were very good.  Her streams were phenomenal. Her sales were disappointing.

but I realize it is 2017 and the slightest negative comment on  a topic means you hate the person and putting them down.

in fact though, it is possible to make negative comments and still be Impressed, contrary to the current philosophy on the matter.

Exactly.

Plus we have to remember this is the number after they removed sales from pre-orders and we know there's a good portion of the song's sales purchased through those

On ATRL:

- If you have someone predicted to do amazing numbers like Taylor, and they fall short and still do amazing numbers the numbers are "disappointing".

- If you have someone predicted by everyone to do horrible numbers (Fifth Harmony) and they end up doing better... but still low numbers, the numbers are "good :eek: for what we were expecting".

:rip:

• ATRL Moderator

I agree with some of the others here.  Her streaming numbers are excellent.  It really is a show of the times that these numbers are more impressive than her sales.  I'm happy Taylor's team didn't prevent the song from being on streaming services and took advantage of this.

I am a bit shocked at her sales.  Again, part of this goes back to how impressive her streaming was, but there was a time that countless Taylor fans were saying she'd outsell Hello and she didn't even get within 100k of it.  Not to say it's not impressive still, because that total is still great, but I was still thinking she'd do better.  

• ATRL Moderator

Mess @ Swish Swish re-entering one spot below its peak

2 hours ago, rihannafan said:

sales are disappointing 

I'm fully expecting Rihanna's lead to do 400k then :clap3: 

97. Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me (NEW) [1 week on the charts] *debut this week*

83. Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug - Havana (+11) [3 weeks on the charts] *new peak this week*

58. Selena Gomez featuring Gucci Mane - Fetish (-3) [8 weeks on the charts] *peak #27 for one week*

47. Katy Perry featuring Nicki Minaj - Swish Swish (RE-ENTRY) [8 weeks on the charts] *peak #46 for one week*

27. Kesha - Praying (+1) [8 weeks on the charts] *peak #22 for one week*

20. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (+3) [11 weeks on the charts] *new peak this week*

18. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (=) [8 weeks on the charts] *second week at its peak*

15. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (-1) [18 weeks on the charts] *peak #14 for one week*

13. Yo Gotti and Mike WiLL Made-It, featuring Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up (-3) [9 weeks on the charts] *peak #10 for one week*

10. Liam Payne featuring Quavo - Strip That Down (+1) [15 weeks on the charts] *new peak this week*

9. Logic featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid - 1-800-273-8255 (+20) [18 weeks on the charts] *new peak this week*

8. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (-1) [19 weeks on the charts] *peak #6 for one week*

7. French Montana featuring Swae Lee - Unforgettable [21 weeks on the charts] (-1) *peak #3 for two weeks*

6. Imagine Dragons - Believer (-2) [30 weeks on the charts] *peak #4 for two, non-constrictive weeks*

5. Charlie Puth - Attention (=) [19 weeks on the charts] *third week at its peak*

4. DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts (-2) [11 weeks on the charts] *peak #2 for seven weeks*

3. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (Money Moves) [=] [9 weeks on the charts] *third week at its peak*

2. Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, featuring Justin Bieber - Despacito (Remix) [-1] [33 weeks on the charts] *peak #1 for sixteen weeks*

1. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do (+76) [2 weeks on the charts] *new peak this week*

Edited by Pacaveli

4 hours ago, mike3009 said:

915K SPS :clap3:

2 hours ago, dfantasy said:

"Is Adele's wig safe?"

Yes very safe.

You know what...

mariahsaindo.gif

1 hour ago, kstreaming said:

They allegedly took 71k because of the album pre-orders so the original number was 424k, more tha Can't stop the plagiarism last year

Yeah that makes sense

54 minutes ago, Yndda said:

yass bodak yellow is #3 :party:

It's been that way for 3 weeks though

ibceywwwvz8osqybuqm.gif

1 minute ago, Redstreak said:

Plus we have to remember this is the number after they removed sales from pre-orders and we know there's a good portion of the song's sales purchased through those

Yeah 353 removing pre orders so 424k in total which is still amazing.

ibceywwwvz8osqybuqm.gif

@iHype. can you please pot the Hot 100 top 10 in the OP? I always have to dig through to see it. :ace:

So, I'm guessing her album pre-orders took away from some of the sales?

2 minutes ago, iHype. said:

On ATRL:

- If you have someone predicted to do amazing numbers like Taylor, and they fall short and still do amazing numbers the numbers are "disappointing".

- If you have someone predicted by everyone to do horrible numbers (Fifth Harmony) and they end up doing better... but still low numbers, the numbers are "good :eek: for what we were expecting".

:rip:

I noticed this as well.

Raining on Taylor's reign.

she remains #1.

ibceywwwvz8osqybuqm.gif

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, slw84 said:

It's been that way for 3 weeks though

ibceywwwvz8osqybuqm.gif

I meant that it managed to hold onto #3 while other songs got pushed down by LWYMMD which is why I said "yesss" at it

Edited by Yndda

3 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

@iHype. can you please pot the Hot 100 top 10 in the OP? I always have to dig through to see it. :ace:

So, I'm guessing her album pre-orders took away from some of the sales?

Huh? :) 

1 minute ago, Yndda said:

I meant that it managed to hold onto #3 while other songs got pushed down by LWYMMD which is why I said "yesss" at it

oh i see...hopefully it'll hit #2 in a week or two.

:celestial4:

21 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Why is it impossible for people to not take a negative comment as not hating on someone?  Rather instead discussing the positive and negative of a topic.  Has the everyone gets a gold star generation really fallen that far that we can't ever say anything that needs or should have done better?

and genre is very important.  Would you make the same comments it wasn't and thst comparison should be made if she had done heavy metal? Jazz? Classical?  The fact is in 2012 she still had country, she doesn't now,  thst will both positively and negatively affect her sales in 2017.

as for charts.  I've nevertheless been into trying to compare past charts and achievements to newer ones.  Even the difference between the 60s and 70s make it hard to compare.  Most of us who watch charts do it to see current trends, and kit try and tidy it all up with past trends vs new trends.

Please point out in my comment where I said you were hating on Taylor? I said you were nitpicking, which you are. A difference of "genre" doesn't factor into this discussion, as all three of Taylor's past lead singles are pop, different varieties of pop sure, but pop nonetheless.

And once again, the adjusted sales comparisons are just a reference point, they're not supposed to be taken literally. 

This comment summed it up perfectly: 

26 minutes ago, NickARTPOP said:

I think y'all are reading into it to much, the sales adjustation is just to give context so we understand how impressive it is. I think some people just argue for the sake of arguing.

Edited by Headlock

21 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

You can't realize it's 2017 then note phenomenal streams + "disappointing" sales. Well I guess you ~can but it's senseless.

Proud of Tay :clap3: And nice at Liam coming through in the end. Strip really has been a grower all Summer.

Wait. With pre-order tracks it was 420k. So Billboard and Kworb were both kinda right. :cm:  HDD needs to catch this L, though.

Edited by muddysquirrel

13 minutes ago, jpow said:

I agree with some of the others here.  Her streaming numbers are excellent.  It really is a show of the times that these numbers are more impressive than her sales.  I'm happy Taylor's team didn't prevent the song from being on streaming services and took advantage of this.

I am a bit shocked at her sales.  Again, part of this goes back to how impressive her streaming was, but there was a time that countless Taylor fans were saying she'd outsell Hello and she didn't even get within 100k of it.  Not to say it's not impressive still, because that total is still great, but I was still thinking she'd do better.  

Literally when did that ever happen :lmao: 

Swifties never expected Taylor to outsell Adele :dies:

Hopefully taylor can remain #1 for at least 3 weeks

tumblr_n64lqyuyXe1tvt1gto4_250.gif

I wonder if Ready for it will be top 10 or top 5

Just now, muddysquirrel said:

Wait. With pre-order tracks it was 420k. So Billboard and Kworb were both kinda right. :cm:  HDD needs to catch this L, though.

Always go with a middle estimate between two legends. Poor HDD. It wants to be a thing so bad.

Those streams are uh ma zing

tumblr_n64lqyuyXe1tvt1gto4_250.gif