PLATINUM HIT 11▴ congratulations aurora ♛

Jackson

Just now, keshaspearsxo said:

I hope you're wrong. 

Judges: complain about poetic nature

Judges: choose poem challenges

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong too. I'm just gonna assume I'm right though considering how this was made difficult for the sake of being difficult.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultraviolence.xx

• Jackson

• UFO

• ceremonials

2 minutes ago, Hug said:

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong too. I'm just gonna assume I'm right though considering how this was made difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Well I know in my case when I implemented similar challenges last season it was because I was actively trying to provoke more poetic like entries, but that doesn't seem to quite be the case here, which leaves it feeling rather pointless and contradictory to even suggest in the first place. 

Would an art teacher assign you to draw a rainbow and then remove half your colours? I'm looking for the sense but I don't really see it. 

16 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Would an art teacher assign you to draw a rainbow and then remove half your colours?

tenor.gif?itemid=8059269

reminder: there are FIVE options for the challenge :) 

• ATRL Moderator
34 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Would an art teacher assign you to draw a rainbow and then remove half your colours? I'm looking for the sense but I don't really see it. 

but an art teacher would try to limit you to encourage your creativity in some way maybe by forcing a different medium or even making you do a rainbow and now allow the original colors. I doubt they'd drag someone that wrote a 200 word song with "I felt it was too short" or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

but an art teacher would try to limit you to encourage your creativity in some way maybe by forcing a different medium or even making you do a rainbow and now allow the original colors. I doubt they'd drag someone that wrote a 200 word song with "I felt it was too short" or something like that.

Exactly. It should be about encouraging creativity, but it isn't, it's just annoying for the sake of being annoying. I continually get comments about being too poetic, even last round Jackson said I was being too poetic, now suddenly this round the goal is to push yourself and "rethink what it means to be a songwriter"? No, that's bs. Because if that were truly the case, and something they wanted us to aim for, then I wouldn't be called too poetic for a rap song - I'd simply be rethinking what it means to write a rap song, no? It doesn't align correctly and contradicts the supposedly 'helpful' reviews I've received throughout the season, and I can't speak for anybody else but I'm sure there are similar instances. Make your mind up. 

19 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

she gets it!

@pears you can repeat a chorus, but that's it 

6 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Exactly. It should be about encouraging creativity, but it isn't, it's just annoying for the sake of being annoying. I continually get comments about being too poetic, even last round Jackson said I was being too poetic, now suddenly this round the goal is to push yourself and "rethink what it means to be a songwriter"? No, that's bs. Because if that were truly the case, and something they wanted us to aim for, then I wouldn't be called too poetic for a rap song - I'd simply be rethinking what it means to write a rap song, no? It doesn't align correctly and contradicts the supposedly 'helpful' reviews I've received throughout the season, and I can't speak for anybody else but I'm sure there are similar instances. Make your mind up. 

you can be poetic in some instances, but writing a rap as some sort of prose-y poem obviously isn't appropriate. this would be a round where a poem-like song is appropriate. it's about context more than anything x

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, keshaspearsxo said:

I definitely get what you're saying but sometimes you have to pick what advice to take. I don't get what poetic means (I thought poetic was a compliment for songwriting :toofunny2:) but like you can try to not do polysyllabic words since that would make you use more basic words or like the no rhymes challenge which would remove a poetic element but at the same time you can do what you want make it fit the challenge (remove your d's and write 200 words). just try to enjoy the challenge.

like I was getting annoyed for getting dragged for my far fetched concepts and my lack of technicality in my writing but I enjoyed what I was writing and that's what kept me going (+my thirst for ceremonials nudes :smitten:)

24 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Clearly misunderstanding the point 

nah i understood your point i'm just feeling very much lately like protest doesn't accomplish anything  :doc:

1 minute ago, Jackson said:

you can be poetic in some instances, but writing a rap as some sort of prose-y poem obviously isn't appropriate. this would be a round where a poem-like song is appropriate. it's about context more than anything x

So in some instances the art of songwriting is a subjective matter... and in some cases its an objective matter. Okay makes total sense. Much appropriate. Very context. 

Just now, ultraviolence.xx said:

nah i understood your point i'm just feeling very much lately like protest doesn't accomplish anything  :doc:

I'm not protesting, nor trying to accomplish anything other than stating my truth. It just doesn't make sense, and to me that's worth saying :michael: 

We're gonna have another low-average round, and idk why we even have these type of challenges when the cast has shown that, collectively, we can't write entries even worthy of a 5.0 score with a relatively easier challenge. Is it "good" for the contestants? Maybe you could make a case for it being so, but I'm going to go with no. You're just going to get another round with a bunch of worse-than-mediocre entries (I'm just assuming y'all have had whole conversations about how the contestants are shit for mostly every week) and the only thing that does is demotivates judges and contestants.

If I were a judge, I'd want an easy challenge for once just so I can read something that isn't 3 or below worthy. :rip: 

Just now, Tsareena said:

:) all my songs are 10/10. speak for yourself @Hug :fan:

The judges seem to disagree if we're getting averages lower than 4. 4 is usually as low as a judge will go for non-troll entries, so it seems some of us are so bad we're trolling.

5 minutes ago, Gastrodonatella said:

anyway i'll throw in MY two cents because obviously everybody asked for my input! :smile: 

a challenge should be pushing you forward into a direction that will be difficult but test a specific skill or set of skills. a limitation is difficult for the sake of being difficult and doesn't teach a meaningful lesson, it just gets in your way and you won't grow from it. example: songs with no chorus or repeated sections are harder to write, but when executed properly they can be very powerful and often times they'll stand out from other songs because of it. however, a song with exclusively monosyllabic words and excluding the letter d does absolutely nothing to help you grow. nobody will look at a song with those requirements and think Wow, they really did that! That's so unique and amazing! they'll just think it's stupid (because it is) and that it was a self imposed roadblock that didn't benefit them in any way, just stifled their creativity. the only thing you can really compliment is, "well, for a song that had to meet THOSE ridiculous standards, it could've been worse." that's not reimagining what it means to be a songwriter, that's just writing a horrible song. this challenge will help nobody learn or grow, it's only here to be annoying. there will probably be even more nonsubmitters or quitters because of it, and that's already been happening a lot this season. 

Yes, I agree with this. I'm also not buying the "forcing people to be creative" narrative. You're just not going to get something of high quality with any combination of the two restrictions, and I can definitely guarantee every song would be better if the restrictions weren't there, and genuinely, I think that if we're going to be going with the "forcing people to be creative" thing, there should be a POSSIBILITY of creating something great within those restrictions.

Even if it is possible, you're not getting it from any of the contestants. Color me surprised when we have another horrible week.

ok wow the people have had iT

i actually don't think any of these limitations are stifling creativity; i think they're encouraging it. instead of going for the first option our brains will throw at us—that may include a polysyllabic word or the letter D—it's forcing us to think through alternates. it's pushing us into new territory that our basic brains wouldn't have taken us to in the first place. some of them may be annoyingly constrictive but so is life

3 minutes ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

ok wow the people have had iT

i actually don't think any of these limitations are stifling creativity; i think they're encouraging it. instead of going for the first option our brains will throw at us—that may include a polysyllabic word or the letter D—it's forcing us to think through alternates. it's pushing us into new territory that our basic brains wouldn't have taken us to in the first place. some of them may be annoyingly constrictive but so is life

Sure it's "creative", like when the recipe calls for honey but the only thing you have in your house is olive oil. That's a creative spin to the recipe. It will taste like shit, though, and nobody will applaud you for your creative decision.

Though I already sent and like my entry, I'm just annoyed knowing I'll be judged as if I didn't have any limitations at all and will be penalized for it.

14 minutes ago, Hug said:

the only thing that does is demotivates judges and contestants

Doesn't particularly help much when the panel is often passive aggressive and insulting, too, for that matter. Jokes or not you're never going to inspire or encourage somebody by being an asshole. 

I've been in a negative head space lately (currently healing myself with some Xmas music) but these themes just really have me down, I feel like we need a back to basics, a barebones, bareback moment so we can all just have a chance to reignite inspiration and let the creative juices flow again. I really love you guys as a community and it's so sad to see everyone down in the dumps lately. I really feel like im in a chokehold with a big ugly sugar daddy from Grindr with these latest choices. I hope y'all will take mine and everyones consideration, I don't mean to be rude, pls take it in good spirits. Love you homos, ciao xoxo

0DHrXAS.gif

26 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

So in some instances the art of songwriting is a subjective matter... and in some cases its an objective matter. Okay makes total sense. Much appropriate. Very context. 

well yeah

6 minutes ago, Corsola said:

No shade but I think that if you begin 1/4 of your challenges of the season with ''I'm sure y'all will hate this one BUT'' then there might be an issue. 

The contestants should be the #1 concern and who you have in mind when making challenges, rather than what you yourself would want to see. 

you didn't even sign up. easy =/= good 

• ATRL Moderator
13 minutes ago, Hug said:

The judges seem to disagree if we're getting averages lower than 4. 4 is usually as low as a judge will go for non-troll entries, so it seems some of us are so bad we're trolling.

:toofunny2: me teas.