Albums where the artist thought it was deeper than it actually was?

naval23

7 hours ago, attention said:

a single, but-

Girl, not this pretentious ass video for a cunty rehash of Problem little bop.

• Haha 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• WhateverYouWant

• dumbsparce

• Soda Pop Queen

I wouldnt say ARTPOP cuz that era was iconic and camp but Id say Joanne:rainy: that video of Gaga playing the song for her grandma who was like "okay and" still haunts me to this DAY

• Like 2

And Witness with "this is woke pop". What was that:ahh:

• Haha 1

Trashcanne

Radical Optimism

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Suilen said:

Marina's recent album.

The disrespect on Ancient Dreams

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ARTPOP. Gaga was trying to be smart and it backfired in every way possible 

• Like 1

Good lord I couldn't even make it through the third page, that Taylor Stan spamming for dear life. Muted them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, TMRA said:

I wouldnt say ARTPOP cuz that era was iconic and camp but Id say Joanne:rainy: that video of Gaga playing the song for her grandma who was like "okay and" still haunts me to this DAY

THANK you, exactly what i said

Bionic

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

This is always the go-to defense for the "too ahead of its time" rhetoric :toofunny2: not "spearheading" when the majority of the guests, while being alternative acts, had already pierced mainstream culture and/or radio many years before Bionic came out. It's not like Christina plucked some up and coming artists out of complete obscurity and was all of the sudden, gonna turn them into household names. The irony here being that the majority of those acts had their biggest successes and most critically acclaimed works long before working with Xtina. The only one who got a bigger profile afterwards was Sia.

As for the outlier in Nicki, she was always gonna be upwardly mobile because of who she was cliqued up with. She could have access to anyone. Also, Mariah worked with her before Xtina did.

It's admirable that she stood by her art but the apropo statement would have been "maybe it will grow on those who disliked it" or "maybe Bionic was too much for certain people" and I believe that to be true because all the old farts that were respecting her in the B2B era for her old hollywood look and throwback talent and "real music" had turned on her by the time the Bionic era started. They thought she was regressing. Most of the young pop fans who heard it, despite making fun of it flopping, loved it. 

while theyre successful in their own right, i doubt the gp can name a Goldfrapp, Santigold, Ladytron, Peaches, or Le Tigre song at the top of their head at the time. and it wasnt about catapulting them success based on her name, but choosing the alt artists as a tastemaker, who were not the obvious hitmakers - similar with dj premier for B2B who was only known for his work with famous hip hop artists, and not pop

tumblr_mw83od0G5n1r33943o6_250sq.gifv

i do agree with your last statement bc ppl generally have a dislike for xtina. she exhibited a lot of playfulness in the album (ex. elastic love, vanity, woohoo) that went misunderstood with the adult contemporary leaning path her audience may have saw for her. bionic isnt a deep album but it was one of her last truly inspired bodies of work sonically even with playful/surface level songs

• Like 1

ARTPOP

Britney Jean

Joanne

Witness

Midnights

The Tortured Poets Department 

Radical Optimism

• Like 2

Any Taylor Swift album.

• Like 1

Justice by Justin Bieber. Look no further than the 'MLK Interlude,' I fear

On 5/22/2024 at 8:53 PM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

spacer.png

Love the album but she oversold it here

On 5/22/2024 at 8:28 PM, Donquizote said:

Lemonade :suburban:

No.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:52 PM, ImpressMeMuch said:

Taylor stan don't derail a thread with countless essays just because someone dared share an opinion challenge 

On 5/22/2024 at 10:59 PM, PoisonedIvy said:

You don't have to defend her or stick your neck out for her, but you shouldn't let public perception make you miss out on potentially engaging art. Kanye is an awful person (the Nazi stuff is literally psychotic and unexcusable) and so I kind of avoided him for a bit (as was natural for most Swift fans), but when I dove in, I found his catalogue to have some all time great albums like MBDTF. 

Plus our perception isn't always the reality. The "bad vibes" you get from her are really just a mix of tabloids and fanbase wars. If you want to know the type of person she is, you should look to primary sources: people that have actually met her.

Everywhere I look and everything I've ever read about her has talked about how genuinely kind and caring she was, from small town radio hosts to big time legendary artists. The only people that have said otherwise have really been Katy, Kim, and Kanye. But the overwhelming majority opinion of people who've met her seems to be that she was way nicer than they believed to be possible. I have chosen to believe those statements because they've remained consistent for basically 2 decades at this point. All the other gossip is just background noise. 

TLDR: I get why you might be offput by her public persona, it's polarizing. But Madonna's was also polarizing (for different reasons.) Contrary to the popular belief of Taylor being safe, she's one of the most divisive figures in music history, but underneath the exterior of her public persona is a kind hearted individual, backed up by the statements of so many people that have actually met her.

:ahh: 

I'd say Bionic - but Bionic ended up being an interesting record. Not ala Blackout, but interesting. Mh...

So... Witness, Artpop, Joanne, and all of Taylor's discography lol. Her songwriting skills are cringy yet she gets awards (?) for that. 

On 5/23/2024 at 11:06 AM, dumbsparce said:

That Carters album

Renaissance

Cowboy Carter

1289917203_4mhTwIj(2).thumb.gif.220e09e9

this one is so funny cause has beyonce ever even talked about these albums?

• Like 3

Chromatica. The notes on Spotify always made me scream because she makes it too deep and in reality the lyrics are whatever 

4 hours ago, punisher said:

this one is so funny cause has beyonce ever even talked about these albums?

I don't need to hear her talk to know how far up her ass she is. It's evident in everything that she does.

• Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)

Joanne

folklore

evermore

The Tortured Ears Department

Witness

ANTI

Edited by Bumba
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:28 PM, Donquizote said:

Lemonade :suburban:

Of course you'd call an album full of black imagery superficial

I feel like a good amount of late 2010s and early 2020s pop albums all get promoted as sophisticated Pop music and then you listen to it and it's really the same ol **** with very pedestrian lyricism.

idk how that started but it should stop.

On 5/22/2024 at 6:06 PM, dumbsparce said:

Lemonade

That Carters album

Renaissance

Cowboy Carter

1289917203_4mhTwIj(2).thumb.gif.220e09e9

Ur username really suits u

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Iaintsorry said:

Ur username really suits u

I was hoping the fumes would help some pressed souls inhale a little bit of creativity and come up with an original joke. :katie:

Edited by dumbsparce

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.