Albums where the artist thought it was deeper than it actually was?

naval23

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Red, her only other dramatic heartbreak album, was a 22 year old taking her heartbreak pretty seriously. TTPD is a grown woman realizing she was basically having a psychotic break for even thinking a mere rebound could make her feel as devastated her 6 year relationship ending. She is poking fun at herself. The album makes that clear for fans, within the closing epilogue. But non fans might not see that I guess. 

Girl red is not the only other album. It's her thing. And I find it hard to believe that this is just her poking fun. This is just her. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant
  • Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• WhateverYouWant

• dumbsparce

• Soda Pop Queen

Artpop

Midnights

Tortured Poets

Every Halsey album 

Whatever that Selena album was

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhateverYouWant said:

You lost me. Taylor swift is 100% up her own ass every time she puts pen to paper. But that's my opinion and the vibe I get from her. She's not for me. And I stand by my opinion of her taking herself way too seriously for the output she gives. 

"I never miss a beat, I'm lightning on my feet"' — a line from Shake It Off. a woman who is up her own ass and taking herself seriously would not proceed to highlight just how offbeat and rhythm-lacking she is in the music video for this very song. The entire video is about how bad of a dancer she is and how she does, in fact, miss every beat.  The woman is not serious, and you thinking that she is comes down to a lack of understanding of her as a person or an artist. Your ignorance is not reality.

Another thread dominated by The Tortured OTH Department

4vz59t.jpg?a476568

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

Girl red is not the only other album. It's her thing. And I find it hard to believe that this isn't her poking fun. This is just her. 

Folklore and evermore are not pretentious, they're fictionalized narratives. She didn't go around acting like these were the second comings of the Quran, she just was happy to work with the producer of one of her favorite bands. :rip: 

Debut & Fearless are not pretentious, they're just the pining and fantasies of a teenage girl. 

1989 is not pretentious because she literally said she just wanted to be a silly little pop star.

Like girl, I can do this all day.. the woman's catalogue is not pretentious

Edited by PoisonedIvy

Lemonade :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

56 minutes ago, perfectillusion204 said:

I fear you all don't understand that Tortured Poets is literally sarcastic on purpose… and that's the point of the title. I thought that was obvious by now :rip:

Sure, but even then, a lot of the instances where she tries to be serious just aren't as deep as she thinks. A lot of the lyrics are over-written, and ironically, despite their verbosity, barely say much at all.

---

The Tortured Simile Department :giraffe:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

That Halsey one about love and power or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Folklore and evermore are not pretentious, they're fictionalized narratives. She didn't go around acting like these were the second comings of the Quran, she just was happy to work with the producer of one of her favorite bands. :rip: 

Debut & Fearless are not pretentious, they're just the pining and fantasies of a teenage girl. 

1989 is not pretentious because she literally said she just wanted to be a silly little pop star.

Like girl, I can do this all day.. the woman's catalogue is not pretentious

I think folklore and evermore are amazing albums. I'm not just being a Taylor hater. The rest of her output is either hit or miss. Sometimes it's a great song on rep or lover, or red. But it doesn't change the fact that the majority of her music sucks to me and sounds like it's coming straight out of a 13 year olds diary. She's not for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Another thread dominated by The Tortured OTH Department

4vz59t.jpg?a476568

More like yall being the Tortured Victim's Department I fear. :celestial5:

• Haha 9

I don't think sone albums mentioned are meant to be deep lol yall sometimes over analyze things

• Like 2

1 hour ago, attention said:

a single, but-

her blonde ambition serve! 

• Haha 3

I think folklore and evermore are amazing albums. I'm not just being a Taylor hater. The rest of her output is either hit or miss. Sometimes it's a great song on rep or lover, or red. But it doesn't change the fact that the majority of her music sucks to me and sounds like it's coming straight out of a 13 year olds diary. She's not for me. 

Ok, yeah, that's fine. You can hate her music and think it sucks and think it sounds like diaristic entries (which is the entire appeal, mind you). You are entitled to all of those negative opinions, and none of us are going to try to revoke them from you.

But that doesn't make her music pretentious. Words have meanings. And pretentious, her catalogue is not! 

I remember watching a few interviews of GaGa talking about Joanne and none of it made sense to me

4 minutes ago, dawnettakins said:

More like yall being the Tortured Victim's Department I fear. :celestial5:

The only thing we're victims of is y'all's media illiteracy and ignorance. 

How has no one said bionic by christuna aguilerpa

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Ok, yeah, that's fine. You can hate her music and think it sucks and think it sounds like diaristic entries (which is the entire appeal, mind you). You are entitled to all of those negative opinions, and none of us are going to try to revoke them from you.

But that doesn't make her music pretentious. Words have meanings. And pretentious, her catalogue is not! 

Agree to disagree. Even if you think her output isn't pretentious, how do you ignore her public perception? 2014-2016 being the peak of that with her only hanging with models and spending

millions of dollars to make a mv to attack another female artist. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, lillavend3r said:

When was this marketed as deep? It's just a sonically different than her other records. If anything ARTPOP was sold as deep and it wasn't.

Look at the Apple Music review. It literally says "On Gaga's most personal LP to date". Plus, in interviews she made it seem all about her family when only like 1 songs is. 

At least TTPD is beating the ARTPOP votes :deadbanana2:

Agree to disagree. Even if you think her output isn't pretentious, how do you ignore her public perception? 2014-2016 being the peak of that with her only hanging with models and spending

millions of dollars to make a mv to attack another female artist. 

This thread is asking about albums that are pretentious, that's the only reason I pushed back so hard on that assertion

I ignore her public perception because it's never been what I've enjoyed about her. I've loved her music since like 2009, when I was too young to even be on social media. I'm a fan of her writing. Albums like 1989 and Lover almost lost me, but the writing on folklore, evermore, the 3AM Tracks of Midnights, and all of TTPD + Anthology is just way too strong for me to care about whatever bullsh1t celebrity gossip surrounds her. I'm a fan of literature and her catalogue is literary heaven. And the fact it can be reassessed through a new lens every so often when she unveils new details (like vault tracks, or secret muses we never knew about) makes the web that much more enthralling.

TLDR: The music keeps me engaged, I could care less about the success, the gossip, the drama, the relationships, the acclaim, or the awards. 

literally ARTPOP

she thought she was making the soundtrack to a Renaissance painting

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PoisonedIvy said:

This thread is asking about albums that are pretentious, that's the only reason I pushed back so hard on that assertion

I ignore her public perception because it's never been what I've enjoyed about her. I've loved her music since like 2009, when I was too young to even be on social media. I'm a fan of her writing. Albums like 1989 and Lover almost lost me, but the writing on folklore, evermore, the 3AM Tracks of Midnights, and all of TTPD + Anthology is just way too strong for me to care about whatever bullsh1t celebrity gossip surrounds her. I'm a fan of literature and her catalogue is literary heaven. And the fact it can be reassessed through a new lens every so often when she unveils new details (like vault tracks, or secret muses we never knew about) makes the web that much more enthralling.

TLDR: The music keeps me engaged, I could care less about the success, the gossip, the drama, the relationships, the acclaim, or the awards. 

She gives bad vibes all around for me. That mixed with an album I didn't like until folklore and then just released trash since that doesn't make me want to stick my neck out like her crazed fans do. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Taylor stan don't derail a thread with countless essays just because someone dared share an opinion challenge 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2

Just now, WhateverYouWant said:

She gives bad vibes all around for me. That mixed with an album I didn't like until folklore and then just released trash since that doesn't make me want to stick my neck out like her crazed fans do. 

You don't have to defend her or stick your neck out for her, but you shouldn't let public perception make you miss out on potentially engaging art. Kanye is an awful person (the Nazi stuff is literally psychotic and unexcusable) and so I kind of avoided him for a bit (as was natural for most Swift fans), but when I dove in, I found his catalogue to have some all time great albums like MBDTF. 

Plus our perception isn't always the reality. The "bad vibes" you get from her are really just a mix of tabloids and fanbase wars. If you want to know the type of person she is, you should look to primary sources: people that have actually met her.

Everywhere I look and everything I've ever read about her has talked about how genuinely kind and caring she was, from small town radio hosts to big time legendary artists. The only people that have said otherwise have really been Katy, Kim, and Kanye. But the overwhelming majority opinion of people who've met her seems to be that she was way nicer than they believed to be possible. I have chosen to believe those statements because they've remained consistent for basically 2 decades at this point. All the other gossip is just background noise. 

TLDR: I get why you might be offput by her public persona, it's polarizing. But Madonna's was also polarizing (for different reasons.) Contrary to the popular belief of Taylor being safe, she's one of the most divisive figures in music history, but underneath the exterior of her public persona is a kind hearted individual, backed up by the statements of so many people that have actually met her.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

idk about artist, but Zane Lowe makes EVERY SINGLE ALBUM seem way deeper than it is.

I can't stand Zane Lowe. Like, I love that he's so passionate about music but I still hate him lol. Probably because of his attitude about Beyoncé when she headlined Glasto in 2011.

17 minutes ago, fulgadrum said:

How has no one said bionic by christuna aguilerpa

lol thank you. A lot of folks bringing up albums that some artists didn't even give interviews for to even imply or refer to their work as super deep or whatever. Xtina and Gaga (and Katy that one time) were the only ones giving interviews making hyperbolic statements about relatively tame dance-pop records.

Christina was literally going around saying Bionic only flopped because the masses didn't get it and weren't ready for it... this is the early '10s by the way :toofunny2:

xtina-lotus.gif

tumblr_o4engvzZph1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

I actually like Bionic and would even love it with a little more editing but gurl :ahh:

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
  • Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.