Albums where the artist thought it was deeper than it actually was?

naval23

220px-Taylor_Swift_%E2%80%93_The_Torture

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• WhateverYouWant

• dumbsparce

• Soda Pop Queen

That promotional image where Gaga called ARTPOP a reverse Warholian expedition... :shutup:

• Haha 14

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, perfectillusion204 said:

I fear you all don't understand that Tortured Poets is literally sarcastic on purpose… and that's the point of the title. I thought that was obvious by now :rip:

It's an album full of filler with 30+ songs. Its 100% giving taking itself too serious. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant
  • Thanks 14

spacer.png

It's still a good album tho. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Saint James said:

can someone elaborate on Tortured Poets?

They literally can't. They're remedial. 

3 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

It's an album full of filler with 30+ songs. Its 100% giving taking itself too serious. 

31 songs.. full of self deprecation and satirical humor. Because.. gasp.. the writer isn't taking herself seriously. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 7

HAMAS

'Midnights' by Taylor Swift

• Like 1

The midnights photoshoot always reminded me of this 

IMG-3420.jpg

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

Taylor Swift is her own biggest fan. I'm sure she's proud of this terrible album and I'm sure the Grammys will pat her on the back with an album of the year nom for this sarcastic album she doesn't take seriously. 

? The issues cited here have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

And no, they're not going to give her AOTY two years in a row. :rip: This album doesn't take itself seriously just because yall assume she takes herself too seriously. 

Edited by PoisonedIvy

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

? The issues cited here have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

And no, they're not going to give her AOTY two years in a row. :rip: This album doesn't take itself seriously just because yall assume she takes herself too seriously. 

I'm not saying they're rewarding this mix of s*** that award. But she will be nominated again this year for it. Which that in itself is a joke. She's got to the point where she's so famous that these dying tv shows need her name attached to stay on the air. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, WhateverYouWant said:

I'm not saying they're rewarding this mix of s*** that award. But she will be nominated again this year for it. Which that in itself of a joke. She's got to the point where she's so famous that these dying tv shows need her name attached to stay on the air. 

Are you ok girl? You're taking a lot of anger out on Taylor over (1) something that this thread didn't even bring up & (2) is quite literally not her fault. She is not the one choosing to nominate her own album for Grammys, it's a cumulative vote from thousands of other producers, writers, musicians, and label executives in the industry that vote for this stuff. Just because you may think this album, or any of her priors, are a "mix of ****," an opinion which you are entitled to, does not make that the majority opinion or the definite reality. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Are you ok girl? You're taking a lot of anger out on Taylor over (1) something that this thread didn't even bring up & (2) is quite literally not her fault. She is not the one choosing to nominate her own album for Grammys, it's a cumulative vote from thousands of other producers, writers, musicians, and label executives in the industry that vote for this stuff. Just because you may think this album, or any of her priors, are a "mix of ****," an opinion which you are entitled to, does not make that the majority opinion or the definite reality. 

I really don't care. I didn't even mention her album in my original post. But dont pretend she's not pretentious af and doesn't expect another (undeserved) nom for this. We all saw how she thought reputation was a Grammy worthy album. 

Foklore deserved all its praise. I'll give that credit. But I'm clearly not drinking the kool aid the rest of you are. 

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

21 minutes ago, Goaty said:

That promotional image where Gaga called ARTPOP a reverse Warholian expedition... :shutup:

is this what inspired @Reverse Warholian's username? :chick1:

• Haha 1

I love ha but ARTPOP. Isn't there an interview where they ask her what ARTPOP meant and sis had to reboot her brain:skull:

:rip:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

10 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

They literally can't. They're remedial. 

31 songs.. full of self deprecation and satirical humor. Because.. gasp.. the writer isn't taking herself seriously. 

i don't even hear the self loathing satirical angle when i listen. she's barely said a thing about this project so people's interpretation is mostly from the cover and title which is not substantial one way or the other. conceptually i guess it's meta- looking at the turmoil and fallouts of relationships as a writer and the act of writing itself, but that is still not necessarily 'deep'. most of the songs end up realising she thought something was deep when it's actually not. i think people may be conflating the art with the marketing.

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

I really don't care. I didn't even mention her album in my original post. 

You sure?

18 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

Taylor Swift is her own biggest fan. I'm sure she's proud of this terrible album and I'm sure the Grammys will pat her on the back with an album of the year nom for this sarcastic album she doesn't take seriously. 

Thats a pretty direct reference to the upcoming Grammys potentially nominating TTPD for AOTY.

But dont pretend she's not portentous af and doesn't expect another (undeserved) nom for this. We all saw how she thought reputation was a Grammy worthy album. 

She's pretty blatantly unpretentious. She writes satirical, silly songs that she deems as "glitter gel pen" songs to intentionally find humor in the seriousness of life. This is the artist that writes songs like We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Karma, and Look What You Made Me Do. She has spoken at length about how she never wants to take herself too seriously. At the end of LWYMMD's music video she pokes fun at herself with basically every criticism ever lobbied at her. Come on. :rip: 

She was proud of reputation, as any artist should be for their work. Instead of throwing a ***** fit like The Weeknd, she set out to make a better album. (She failed with Lover, but then succeeded with folklore.) She's not pretentious, but she is allowed to be proud of her work, and her work can include satirical humor that -doesn't- take itself too serious. It's that simple.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 5

4 minutes ago, Saint James said:

i don't even hear the self loathing satirical angle when i listen. she's barely said a thing about this project so people's interpretation is mostly from the cover and title which is not substantial one way or the other. conceptually i guess it's meta- looking at the turmoil and fallouts of relationships as a writer and the act of writing itself, but that is still not necessarily 'deep'. most of the songs end up realising she thought something was deep when it's actually not. i think people may be conflating the art with the marketing.

Do you think Taylor is being serious when she says "I was tame I was gentle til the circus life made me mean, don't you worry folks they took out all her teeth" ???

She's dramatizing her feelings and expressing them in intentionally hyperbolic, over the top rhetorics. The figurative language she uses in songs like But Daddy I Love Him, Down Bad, and Who's Afraid of Little Old Me highlight the over dramatic tone of the narrator throughout the album. She does not want us to actually feel like she "might just die, it would make no difference." She wants us to extrapolate the fact that her feelings were comically intense, and childlike in nature.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Do you think Taylor is being serious when she says "I was tame I was gentle til the circus life made me mean, don't you worry folks they took out all her teeth" ???

She's dramatizing her feelings and expressing them in intentionally hyperbolic, over the top rhetorics. The figurative language she uses in songs like But Daddy I Love Him, Down Bad, and Who's Afraid of Little Old Me highlight the over dramatic tone of the narrator throughout the album. She does not want us to actually feel like she "might just die, it would make no difference." She wants us to extrapolate the fact that her feelings were comically intense, and childlike in nature.

Isn't every album of hers dramatizing everyone's experience of dating in general? Are all her albums satire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, WhateverYouWant said:

Isn't every album of hers dramatizing everyone's experience of dating in general? Are all her albums satire?

Red, her only other dramatic heartbreak album, was a 22 year old taking her heartbreak pretty seriously. TTPD is a grown woman realizing she was basically having a psychotic break for even thinking a mere rebound could make her feel as devastated her 6 year relationship ending. She is poking fun at herself. The album makes that clear for fans, within the closing epilogue. But non fans might not see that I guess. 

Edited by PoisonedIvy

9 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

You sure?

Thats a pretty direct reference to the upcoming Grammys potentially nominating TTPD for AOTY.

She's pretty blatantly unpretentious. She writes satirical, silly songs that she deems as "glitter gel pen" songs to intentionally find humor in the seriousness of life. This is the artist that writes songs like We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Karma, and Look What You Made Me Do. She has spoken at length about how she never wants to take herself too seriously. At the end of LWYMMD's music video she pokes fun at herself with basically every criticism ever lobbied at her. Come on. :rip: 

She was proud of reputation, as any artist should be for their work. Instead of throwing a ***** fit like The Weeknd, she set out to make a better album. (She failed with Lover, but then succeeded with folklore.) She's not pretentious, but she is allowed to be proud of her work, and her work can include satirical humor that -doesn't- take itself too serious. It's that simple.

You lost me. Taylor swift is 100% up her own ass every time she puts pen to paper. But that's my opinion and the vibe I get from her. She's not for me. And I stand by my opinion of her taking herself way too seriously for the output she gives. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.