Student movement in solidarity with Gaza goes global; police crackdowns ensue

LIT

19 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Demanding divestment from Israeli/Jewish student organizations and cultural programs.

Is this in reference to calls to end funding for the national organization that helps fund and organize colonialist birthright trips for future Israel settlers?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• Kassi

• Communion

• Espresso

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 4

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Sorry but you can't expect universities to be ok with you interrupting and ruining graduation ceremonies. Have some common sense. If you want to protest then do it, but understand there are consequences to actions and not everyone at that graduation ceremony wants their day ruined by protesters and should not have their big day ruined. 

I think this so far is the main disconnect with these college protesters. It's not realizing or caring how inconvenient and inconsiderate you're being to your fellow classmates/students. 

Any formal private event would have security and stop someone interrupting. There's nothing "dystopian" about that. I hate the use of new buzzwords people just learn and start overusing. I went to a public university and still, graduation seats were not free and the ceremony was not open to the public. You're ruining an event that people paid to go see their kid/family member graduate college and not see you protest. 

Edited by Gaia
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

Sorry but you can't expect universities to be ok with you interrupting and ruining graduation ceremonies. Have some common sense. If you want to protest then do it, but understand there are consequences to actions and not everyone at that graduation ceremony wants their day ruined by protesters and should not have their big day ruined. 

I think this so far is the main disconnect with these college protesters. It's not realizing or caring how inconvenient and inconsiderate you're being to your fellow classmates/students. 

Any formal private event would have security and stop someone interrupting. There's nothing "dystopian" about that. I hate the use of new buzzwords people just learn and start overusing. I went to a public university and still, graduation seats were not free and the ceremony was not open to the public. You're ruining an event that people paid to go see their kid/family member graduate college and not see you protest. 

"Please be considerate for the feelings of people who don't care about their country supporting a genocide, uwu"

nah, **** em. Let their big day be ruined. It's one day for them in comparison of how many the US has stolen from millions of people around the world

Screw Zionists and screw American bystanders who claim their day is ruined by being slightly reminded of what they are tacitly supporting

• Like 2

"If you disrupt our event you will be asked to leave and arrested for trespassing if you refuse" is… not dystopian. :rip:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/12/2024 at 6:23 AM, Kassi said:

Blanket statements about HBCU's, or insinuated blanket statement about black college students in general are problematic, to put it mildly.

As are assumptions of those participating being entirely supported by their parents.

Rather than parents resentful of them screwing up a ceremony I put this on black students well aware of disproportionate shows of force, not inherent support for Biden or Israel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think SNL captured the cultural sentiment quite accurately.

My own black parents would drag me by the ear if they found out I got suspended for protesting an overseas war between two foreign governments.

1 hour ago, Kassi said:

"If you disrupt our event you will be asked to leave and arrested for trespassing if you refuse" is… not dystopian. :rip:

13 hours ago, Gaia said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kassi said:

spacer.png

Oh brother. :ace:

what's the goal of the hunger strike?

19 hours ago, velocity said:

what's the goal of the hunger strike?

To force the university to divest from any asset with ties to Israel. For example, they want Princeton to sell all of their Google stock.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 5:30 AM, Kassi said:

This will be shown side-by-side with Biden's loan forgiveness in campaign ads this fall I fear

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.