How did Beyoncé outlast her 2000s peers?

KOMH

55 minutes ago, Facelessboy said:

Kylie Minogue? 

Not really peers since she had her burst of American success in the eighties despite a repeak (essentially being reintroduced as a new artist again to the TRL audience), her peers would be Tiffany, Debbie, Jody, Belinda, Martina, Paula, Sam Fox etc. 

Its like how Panic at the Disco peers would be considered FOB, MCR and Paramore etc, acts that debuted with them, instead of Twenty One Pilots/Imagine Dragons etc (other commercially successful acts during their 2016-2019 repeak).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KOMH

• swissman

• Aethereal

• k4rmabutterfly

48 minutes ago, KOMH said:

The album only had like 8 new songs with just 4 being solo. Let's not :toofunny3:

Out of the 7 pre-released songs, 4 of them were massive hits in Latin America. Denying this era was massive for Shakira is delusional. I do agree that RENAISSANCE is the bigger album, but Shakira is more successful than Beyoncé singles wise. Both are winning :clap3:

• Like 2

She's talented, passionate and hard working. Most of all, she's invested in creating a legacy and being remembered alongside the greats.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Hmm i find Beyonce success pretty impressive and i still dont get it. Cause she was a  flop with THE GIFT-EVERYTHING IS LOVE :giraffe:
How she was able to regain all that goodwill from the GP again???? 

That's because The Gift and EIL were side projects - the GP didn't want a collaboration album or a soundtrack in the first place. They wanted a Beyonce studio album so the side project flops weren't indicators of success. Hive tried to say this during 2018-2020 but no one listened. Renaissance genuinely was a great album.

• Like 8

SuburbanSluts

She didn't. 

thank u next 

Beyonce is really in my opinion a natural born R&B singer that never put herself in that box. Bey always has dabbled with different sounds and genres. Despite Making  more urban music than other popstars she never limited herself to just R&B/ Soul. She pushes herself Musically and that's kinda rare especially since her first album was DIL. You wouldn't think that Dangerously in Love and Renaissance are the same artist. You wouldn't think I am Sasha Fierce and Self titled are the same artist. Also Bey loves her job and is talented which is a plus.

• Like 1

It all started with 4 In 2011 :clap3:

while others were chasing hits and using the trendy sounds beyonce chose the quality path and it payed of 

then Self Titled happened and the rest is history 

she is also a talented vocalist and performer and earned the massive respect from the GP for that 

i actually have yet to see a bad Beyoncé performance 

Edited by HANZ94
  • Like 3

I think there's definitely more hype for new material from her than any of her peers by far.  She's just excellent :michael:

Shakira still seems like she can get massive WW singles and Eminem's catalog sells crazy but beyond them there's no one closer. 

Talent, ambition and class.

Well she's a bigger star than those other names, and also the fact that Beyoncé really understands the art of the album and how to keep an audience engaged, the effort and dedication she puts into her craft is far bigger than most of her peers from the 90's/2000's.

5 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

Out of the 7 pre-released songs, 4 of them were massive hits in Latin America. Denying this era was massive for Shakira is delusional. I do agree that RENAISSANCE is the bigger album, but Shakira is more successful than Beyoncé singles wise. Both are winning :clap3:

Not when Beyonce sold more singles (pure & units) & Beyonce is streamed more :gaycat2:

Edited by QueenBeyoncé

Talent and innovation.

She's her own bar and I truly don't think she even looks at her peers when it comes to competition.

The early 2010s. When they all adapted to changing trends in order to stay relevant, Beyoncé chose to make her own rules which caused people to respect her as an artist regardless of how big her latest hit was. She's also very good at not revealing too much of herself so people remain interested 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Hmm i find Beyonce success pretty impressive and i still dont get it. Cause she was a  flop with THE GIFT-EVERYTHING IS LOVE :giraffe:
How she was able to regain all that goodwill from the GP again???? Could someone here elaborate?

What happened for Renaissance to be that successful???? after a whole decade not invested in the Mainstream???

Some of my theories

All her Artsy albums gave her credibility and people see her as a premium artist now?
Was her comeback to uptempo music seen as something really good? and everyone was missin her fun music?

Playing to the trends (Disco Music) helped her?
The lack of Rihanna and a prominent Black singer in the Panorama leaded everyone to Beyonce and her renaissance????

AvadaKedavra

• Haha 1

Talent.

3 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

How she was able to regain all that goodwill from the GP again???? Could someone here elaborate?

What happened for Renaissance to be that successful???? after a whole decade not invested in the Mainstream???

Some of my theories

All her Artsy albums gave her credibility and people see her as a premium artist now?
Was her comeback to uptempo music seen as something really good? and everyone was missin her fun music?

The lack of Rihanna and a prominent Black singer in the Panorama leaded everyone to Beyonce and her renaissance????

They were/are flops by her standards, and their flop-ship exasperated by the fact that she really did very, very little to help them out, and I think what happened really is that people and fans didn't want her on collab efforts, they wanted her (we can see this same sentiment in the collab efforts of Ariana and P!nk, who followed up successful eras with flop side projects and then resume their sucesss solo). And this desire for solo Beyoncé gave a baseline of support to whatever she'd do after those, but choosing a genre like dance music was the perfect re-introduction to Beyoncé after nearly a decade...not to mention it mixed all the amazing, artful, serious things about Beyoncé in the decade prior but also made it equally as light-hearted and fun...this all made it something fans and the GP were into thus her continued success.

The Hive has always said it, when Beyoncé actually tries for pop success and doesn't sabotage it, she usually doesn't have a hard time getting it. And even now she's barely trying...no videos, no performances, just releasing it well and releasing commercial singles.

consistently and successfully reinventing her image while pivoting away from chasing commercial hits towards an effort in creating cultural moments  

2 hours ago, SoundsandSongs said:

That's because The Gift and EIL were side projects - the GP didn't want a collaboration album or a soundtrack in the first place. They wanted a Beyonce studio album so the side project flops weren't indicators of success. Hive tried to say this during 2018-2020 but no one listened. Renaissance genuinely was a great album.

The essays I wrote full of statistics to support my claims only to be called delusional and making excuses back then!

I even remember people trying to shade her for Homecoming', meanwhile it's like one of the most successful live albums of any pop girl...so much so that you can't even think of the flop live albums to compare them (proving that how a live album performs isn't a drag).

People still don't seem to understand that people like Bey better when she is solo. I also prefer Beyonce over DC. Everything is love and the gift are side projects that consisted of different collaborations and Artist.

5 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

Total streams:

Las Mujeres Ya Lo Lloran: 3,476B

RENAISSANCE: 2,818B

Both Shakira and Bey are still incredibly successful :clap3:

Now imagine if Beyonce had released 8 singles before the album :WAP:

4 hours ago, Lovett said:

Those 'total streams' include two previously released songs from other artists that Shakira included in her album to bolster her streams though, let's be completely transparent here. Shakira is absolutely still successful, but your post is purposefully misleading.

This should not be allowed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Some of my theories

The flop SIDE PROJCETS having more or slightly less first week and longevity than many STUDIO albums like Glory, Smile, whatever Christina releases recently, Alicia Keys, Justin, Usher, Shakira, Jlo and Pink's first week numbers. Even Beyoncé's live albums charted longer than all those albums. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

Total streams:

Las Mujeres Ya Lo Lloran: 3,476B

RENAISSANCE: 2,818B

Both Shakira and Bey are still incredibly successful :clap3:

Shakira is very successful but lets not act like having 7 singles released before the album with most of the streams coming from high profile collabs didn't help. Renaissance was carried by Bey's solo power. Most of Shakira's biggest streaming era songs are collabs/features.

Spotify streams total:

Beyonce - 24.4 billion (15.3 billion solo)

Shakira - 19.6 billion (6.9 billion solo)

Beyonce's stats exclude her contributions on massive songs like Hymn for the weekend, The Carters and DC before anyone comes for me.

4 hours ago, SoundsandSongs said:

Shakira is very successful but lets not act like having 7 singles released before the album with most of the streams coming from high profile collabs didn't help. Renaissance was carried by Bey's solo power. Most of Shakira's biggest streaming era songs are collabs/features.

Spotify streams total:

Beyonce - 24.4 billion (15.3 billion solo)

Shakira - 19.6 billion (6.9 billion solo)

Beyonce's stats exclude her contributions on massive songs like Hymn for the weekend, The Carters and DC before anyone comes for me.

Also Spotify is the most popular platform in South America and Europe, whereas in US (Beyonce's biggest market) the most popular platform, especially for RnB is AM. So in terms of percentages the gap is likely bigger in AM.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.