Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

SNL performances were great. I wonder if they are pushing HFU as a next single or as a promo single for the album until they decide what will be the 4th single.

To release HFU as a 4th and summer single would be commercial mistake.

My only problem is with the esthetic and styling. I dont understand why they still go with this dark/red esthetic, black outfits, leather coats etc.

It was OK up until "Illusion" but now, when the album is out and it is clearly an summer album, to keeping the heavy dark "winter" esthetic which doesn't represent the album feeling or the latest visuals is weird.

• Like 3

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SayIt

• mike_int

• Cain

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

Idc. End Of An Era should've been the lead single :WAP:  Houdini is a great song but it gave a different impression of what to expect from the general direction of the era. 

Or if anything, Training Season as a single should've never happened. Specially with that video :mazen: EOAE would've been a good re launch single after Houdini. 

Any hybrid Dua/Ari fans here? I combined ES and RO into a 17 track album. Surprisingly it flows well. Here's the playlist:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mike_int said:

SNL performances were great. I wonder if they are pushing HFU as a next single or as a promo single for the album until they decide what will be the 4th single.

To release HFU as a 4th and summer single would be commercial mistake.

My only problem is with the esthetic and styling. I dont understand why they still go with this dark/red esthetic, black outfits, leather coats etc.

It was OK up until "Illusion" but now, when the album is out and it is clearly an summer album, to keeping the heavy dark "winter" esthetic which doesn't represent the album feeling or the latest visuals is weird.

The whole era is serving MISMANAGED, but I have an eerie feeling its Dua whos calling the shots wrong. 

I agree tho: From the single choices to the arsthetic choices to how they use the promo slots they have - its all wrong tbh. It has nothing to do with the album itself and everything to do with the choices they make. Shes a GORGEOUS woman and dresses up and presents herself in a way thats just underwhelming. You find better styled people at any rave or Subway

Edited by Kristie Kuwa
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

The whole era is serving MISMANAGED, but I have an eerie feeling its Dua whos calling the shots wrong. 

I agree tho: From the single choices to the arsthetic choices to how they use the promo slots they have - its all wrong tbh. It has nothing to do with the album itself and everything to do with the choices they make. Shes a GORGEOUS woman and dresses up and presents herself in a way thats just underwhelming. You find better styled people at any rave or Subway

I was more than happy with the three singles we got so far, but I assumed the dark "alternative 90s brit girl" esthetic will turn into "alternative 90s summer brit girl" after "Illusion" and album release.  I wonder what she will wear for MET tonight

obsessed with training season again

ts.gif?ex=663972dc&is=6638215c&hm=94402f

Posted (edited)

If the album was more Pure shores and William orbit produced, it could have been a classic. Falling forever is cute bit i agree about the screeching its too loud should have toned it down with some vocal layering and vocal effects. Hope all those promo will help the streaming. Most of the New york audience in the back was not interested at all... no top 10 hits in the US and only one top 20 hit that did not have amazing longevity.Damn dua...

Edited by kayliah
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, kayliah said:

If the album was more Pure shores and William orbit produced, it could have been a classic. Falling forever is cute bit i agree about the screeching its too loud should have toned it down with some vocal layering and vocal effects. Hope all those promo will help the streaming. Most of the New york audience in the back was not interested at all... no top 10 hits in the US and only one top 20 hit that did not have amazing longevity.Damn dua...

Most of the audience on live performances on Times Square are just regular people or tourist walking around, they stop and watch, only the crowd in front are usually fans who queued to be in front. I lived in NY and I have seen many performances there, but never queued, sometimes general public didnt even know who are they looking at haha

Not sure they announced it only 2 hours before the performance tho.

I've been following Dua closely since the first DSN teaser first dropped, all through the FN era up until now.

Having digested this album, and listened to it on repeat a few dozen times.... I truly love it from top to bottom :weeps:  The only real skip for me is Anything for Love, but I can still stomach it. 

Coming from an album like Future Nostalgia, this is an album that people will probably have to live with in order to appreciate it.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, KingWitch said:

Bringing people out in the rain just to perform 4 songs is just disrespectful, granted she's not a meteorologist so she couldn't have known but i feel like they deserved more for their effort :rip:

Or the NYC authorities might've said you've got X amount of time and then we want Times Square back 

please?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The performances were great so I honestly have no criticisms besides what songs she actually performed. why perform happy for you only to playlist these walls on release 🪦 make it make sense

Shes a great performer and I really hope Glastonbury makes people on here and the GP realise to not count her out yet and that she's an incredible performer that will hopefully translate into European ticket sales / hype. I honestly think glasto will be the deciding factor of this era. If it's anything short of excellent her team should be very worried

i still think her tour will be successful regardless but I think Warner should push her into releasing a droplet / deluxe with a couple big names at least until something sticks so at least she has a hit from this era to tour with like how doja had pttr when touring scarlet 

These walls is crying out to be a smash. having a classic like that will be great as she doesn't have a lot of classics that aren't dance anthems. it could quite literally be the saving grace of this era. I don't care where she is.. a parking lot even…  she needs to be performing that song everywhere 

Edited by thinkheknowss
  • Like 2

The fact illusion is not a somewhat hit makes me sick 🪦 that song has grown on me so much and that bridge - last chorus is eargasm.. I kinda hope her team just stick with illusion as the current single for now whilst they devise a strategy and assess their options , no point for another single so soon, releasing singles too quickly is literally what killed this era.. Give it a chance because when the public wake up and her team finally give this song a chance it'll be everywhere (I hope)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KingWitch said:

Bringing people out in the rain just to perform 4 songs is just disrespectful, granted she's not a meteorologist so she couldn't have known but i feel like they deserved more for their effort :rip:

Oh come on, dont be ridiculous, in times of TRL people were outside in rain or cold for hours just to see artists perform 1 or two songs.

What did you think she will do?  Full ass concert?

And also it must have been scheduled for weeks, should she use her magic wand to make it sunny?

Come On Please GIF by NBA

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

Oh come on, dont be ridiculous, in times of TRL people were outside in rain or cold for hours just to see artists perform 1 or two songs.

What did you think she will do?  Full ass concert?

And also it must have been scheduled for weeks, should she use her magic wand to make it sunny?

Come On Please GIF by NBA

Exactly.

NYC would need to issue a permit for this, notify the police dept, and whoever is collecting the trash after etc etc.

It's not just down to the artist to rock up and do whatever they want in the middle of a city.  There are other people to consider who are going about their daily lives.

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Cain said:

The screeching :giraffe:

We teach Duas to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller..

Billie-Eilish-What-Was-I-Made-Fo(1)(2).t

• Haha 2

Happy For You being performed everywhere when it's the worst song of the album :skull:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

my top 3 keep changing :WAP: so much excellence on the album

I think this might be the first mainstream pop album of the decade without any skips... Her mind!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Maria is the New Rules of this project tbh :jonny4:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)

Happy for You is so good. A bit repetitive towards the end but so good still.

Her NYC performance video on Youtube pissed me tf off tho. 45 minute video but the actual performance starts 21 minutes in and it ends like 5 minutes before the video is over. What was the point? 

Edited by MALAMENTE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the clouds, there she goes, butterflies, let them flow
'Nother girl falls in love, another girl leaves the club
Send a big kiss goodbye to all of the pretty eyes
Another girl falls in love, another girl leaves the club

tinashe-all-hands-on-deck.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LCTV said:

She seemed a mix of tired and yeah maybe nerves. But she's low-key been non stop in NYC since she touched down :deadbanana4:

We need tracks 12 , 13 , 14 , and 15 asap tho.

Then she shouldnt be in this business. Taylor was performing non stop for 1989 og and that was on her fifth album and she looked tired but bulldozed through that era. She looks tired even after all those vacations she took. Now that her album is flopping,hope her label force her to work to recoup their investments.all those houdini payola,autoplay,you tube ads and only a 11 th peak position... you need to work hard and play hard in this business. And to think Warner thought her name alone would sell this era after all the money that went into making FN a success. She needs a new album out rapidly with some bangers to actually smash. 

Edited by kayliah
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MALAMENTE said:

Happy for You is so good. A bit repetitive towards the end but so good still.

Her NYC performance video on Youtube pissed me tf off tho. 45 minute video but the actual performance starts 21 minutes in and it ends like 5 minutes before the video is over. What was the point? 

Well you can easily skip forward to when she starts and stop watching when she says "I love you, have a good night" LOL

edit: imagine giving thumbs down for this post when I was not even addressing you LOL

Edited by mike_int
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, thinkheknowss said:

The fact illusion is not a somewhat hit makes me sick 🪦 that song has grown on me so much and that bridge - last chorus is eargasm.. I kinda hope her team just stick with illusion as the current single for now whilst they devise a strategy and assess their options , no point for another single so soon, releasing singles too quickly is literally what killed this era.. Give it a chance because when the public wake up and her team finally give this song a chance it'll be everywhere (I hope)

Its overstuffed as a critic said and i would have favored a drop beat instrumental over  the dance all night post chorus. It has energy for sure but sound unfinished. Cool from FN now that was a great dance track for summer and physical too is awesome. Top tier Dua lapeep

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

12 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

In the clouds, there she goes, butterflies, let them flow
'Nother girl falls in love, another girl leaves the club
Send a big kiss goodbye to all of the pretty eyes
Another girl falls in love, another girl leaves the club

tinashe-all-hands-on-deck.gif

why did you downvote this... @kayliah

• Haha 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.