American politics is in the midst of a racial realignment

Chemist

I mean There’s something extremely racist about the Dems doing all this identity politics bullshit with no real material policy to show for it. Many IBPOC (especially the younger gen) can see through the constant tokenization a mile away.

Also doesn’t help that genocide “if you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black” Joe is one of the shittiest candidates of all time at the helm of the party. Only so many photo opps of kneeling in kente cloth Dems can do while they pass bills to increase federal funding to police hires to record highs 🤷‍♂️

• Like 10

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• Communion

• Rockstar

• byzantium

4 hours ago, byzantium said:

I think you would be surprised.  I know a couple Latino and Asian voters who voted or are considering voting for Trump. It’s not a majority but definitely indicative of a decreasing vote share. 

I find that disgusting but yeah I know it happens unfortunately 

7 hours ago, HardBambi said:

Losing votes .. to who? 

To the person who will likely kill Biden's re-election chances - the couch!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rockstar said:

A lot of minorities are tired of the border crisis and believe only Trump will take it seriously. They're on Fox News everyday.

6 hours ago, Rockstar said:

They're not immigrating the legal way. And minorities have increasingly unfavorable views of undocumented immigration for obvious reasons.

Biden is likelier to lose enthusiasm amongst POC in his base for being TOO RIGHT WING on immigration than too relaxed. Biden is to the right of most Americans on policy. Let's stop the revisionism. 

• ATRL Moderator

These figures are kind of misleading. The figure showing that non-White voters are "moving away from the Democratic Party" is implying that that corresponds with them flocking towards the Republican Party. This is so far-removed from what's actually happening. In fact, while Democratic registration is going down, Independent registration is on the rise and is now the most common registration by 16+ lead.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/548459/independent-party-tied-high-democratic-new-low.aspx

As for the first plot with the intention to vote metric, this is a percentage based on non-White voters registered to each party. The lines looking to intersect suggests that the amount of registered non-White members in each party is about to equal each other, but that's not the correct interpretation. It's very misleading. It's actually just among the non-White voters in those parties (even if the raw counts are very different), the % of them that intend to vote is about to intersect. Non-White GOP voters are increasingly excited to vote, non-White Dem. voters are increasingly unenthused.

Honestly, the person that made this figures could have done a better job (in my opinion) of communicating the general trend here.

If you want an explanation for the above phenomenon, it's pretty simple. No Democratic voter is going to hear Biden spout Trumpian views on immigration and calling undocumented immigrants "illegals" and feel so upset that they're going to shift to... Donald Trump... That makes no sense. People in Biden's base are just increasingly upset because he's not meeting them from the left on their policy agenda. 50% of Biden voters from 2020 view the occupation in Gaza as a genocide and Biden has said he has no red line for Israel to stop sending weapons to them.

The cracks in Biden's leadership are clear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• ATRL Moderator
9 hours ago, Rockstar said:

They're not immigrating the legal way. And minorities have increasingly unfavorable views of undocumented immigration for obvious reasons.

How many immigrants have you spoken to? If you spent any time listening to the stories of immigrants, you'd realize how ridiculous the "legal" way is. It's literally based on a lottery system for start—even if you're a PhD scientist in a highly competitive field with significant economic value, the road is insane to legally immigrate into the country. Expecting people without resources that are fleeing violent situations that became common as a result of our foreign policy to be able to pay tens of thousands in legal fees to fight for their immigration case? Let's be serious.

• Like 6

Yes, demographics are changing like they always do, but to actually believe that black, Latino, and young voters are going to suddenly shift way right for... no reason, is incredibly delusional. Only MAGA and leftists (same thing) believe this and it is a narrative that was peddled last election too.

• Thumbs Down 2

Many of these groups are historically conservative anyway, especially in countries they origianlly emigrated from. Many Latino and Asian societies are very conservative, for instance. Also, many African American groups and communities tend to be more conservative.

It's only that in modern American politics Republicans ruined their image and reputation with basically all of those groups, but now the realignment is changing that. Between Trumpism on the one hand, and the increasing issues of housing affordability, inflation, wage growth, corporate consolidation and profit growth on the other, together with dissatisfaction with the Democratic party that loves to campaign on fixing those things but then not do anything really meaningful about it once in office. A really toxic cocktail!

After following American politics closely since the pandemic I came to the conclusion that MAGA people are either purely dumb or racist and therefore loving Trumps agenda

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SeeingStars1515 said:

which, Gaza aside, makes no sense given the legislation that's been passed

What legislation? Most of Biden’s supposed “agenda” was throttled by a pair of Democrats in the Senate. He didn’t fight for it. He let it die on day one and got us a piddly roads and bridges bill that doesn’t even come close to addressing the needs of our crumbling, failing infrastructure. :celestial5:

The climate provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act are also completely canceled out by all of the skyrocketing of oil production under his presidency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a right wing shift among Latino voters that is backed by actual voting evidence, but I will believe this narrative when I see a big percentage of black voters voting for Donald Trump:rip:

So far it's basically just poll noise on that front with no actual evidence of a shift to the right. A shift towards apathy - maybe - but again, we are yet to see this truly manifest in a presidential election.

• Like 1

It’s changing and more and more gays are voting republican sadly 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

How many immigrants have you spoken to? If you spent any time listening to the stories of immigrants, you'd realize how ridiculous the "legal" way is.

Why do we need a well functioning immigration system again? The Left tells me all the time we can't even effectively provide for own communities yet we're prepared to accept mass immigration? Make it make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

What legislation? Most of Biden’s supposed “agenda” was throttled by a pair of Democrats in the Senate. He didn’t fight for it. He let it die on day one and got us a piddly roads and bridges bill that doesn’t even come close to addressing the needs of our crumbling, failing infrastructure. :celestial5:

The climate provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act are also completely canceled out by all of the skyrocketing of oil production under his presidency.

Again, there are legitimately 2 options in the U.S. until local politics third parties can win more support (and I do think they will eventually, but again, not in my lifetime lol).

There has been a lot done under his presidency and a quick google search will show you ;-) 

52 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Why do we need a well functioning immigration system again? The Left tells me all the time we can't even effectively provide for own communities yet we're prepared to accept mass immigration? Make it make sense.

No leftist thinks America has a scarcity of wealth. Please be quiet and just say you hate brown people or something. :rip:

2 hours ago, SeeingStars1515 said:

Again, there are legitimately 2 options in the U.S. until local politics third parties can win more support (and I do think they will eventually, but again, not in my lifetime lol).

There has been a lot done under his presidency and a quick google search will show you ;-) 

He may look like he’s accomplished a lot because our government has historically been so unproductive that an insufficient roads and bridges bill would look like an accomplishment. In reality, he’s achieved VERY little, and that’s with a trifecta. Trump delivered on his promises of tax cuts for the wealthy and the nullification of Roe v. Wade. Biden… allocated money for projects that won’t even be completed within his term and people will feel zero short term benefits from.

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Rockstar said:

The Left tells me all the time we can't even effectively provide for own communities yet we're prepared to accept mass immigration? Make it make sense.

don't*

The Left always says we are the richest country in the world and yet we choose to let our own communities go without clean drinking water because of corruption. 

6 hours ago, Bloo said:

don't*

The Left always says we are the richest country in the world and yet we choose to let our own communities go without clean drinking water because of corruption. 

Point still stands. It's a racist, corrupt, and dysfunctional country which means we aren't suitable to take in immigrants. Why would immigrants even want to come here anyway? The Left makes it sound like such an awful place.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Point still stands. It's a racist, corrupt, and dysfunctional country which means we aren't suitable to take in immigrants. Why would immigrants even want to come here anyway? The Left makes it sound like such an awful place.

You can't be a real person. This reads like a parody.

This is so incredibly misleading.

This isn't non-white voters becoming more conservative, it's a non-white rejection of Biden and the Democratic Party establishment who is propping up this rotting corpse and expecting people to vote for it because "it's not Trump".

Trump is a ******* maniac but at least he's real and in control of his own actions.

my coworker climbed over the wall, got deported 2 or 3 times.  Came back, took the test to become a US citizen, and now he's a raging Trump supporter that wants to build the wall and keep out the illegals.  Makes ZERO sense. :rip:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rockstar said:

Point still stands.

Respond to their argument, because your point didn't stand lol

14 minutes ago, spree said:

my coworker climbed over the wall, got deported 2 or 3 times.  Came back, took the test to become a US citizen, and now he's a raging Trump supporter that wants to build the wall and keep out the illegals.  Makes ZERO sense. :rip:

Republicans only care about issues that directly impact them.

• ATRL Moderator
14 hours ago, spree said:

It doesn't surprise me. The common trend here is lack of empathy. 

A good, analogous example would be how there are a lot of working people in different industries who had to go through a lot of growing pains to get a successful point in their career. Then, when they see young people coming into their field, they will impose the same BS hurdles and hardships onto them because they feel like, "If I had to go through it, then you do too." Some people have a natural inclination to go through hardship and say, "Wow, that was awful. I hope no one else has to deal with what I went through because no one should." Other people go through hardship and say, "Wow, that was awful. It's so unfair to me if others ever have an easier route than me."

It's the same for your coworker. They went through the process and became a citizen and probably is imposing the, "If I can do it, you can do it too" mindset and is extra harsh on undocumented immigrants because of it.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, spree said:

Well, why would he want to make it easier for competition in the job market to get in the country? I definitely do not condone it, but it makes perfect sense given how the system works.

Edited by AMIT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.