• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Suilen

• Reverie

• glitch

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is she scared of her guitar? Because the Teardrops On My Guitar singer might sue her for using the same instrument as her?

• Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator

ajuaEXy.png

LOGICAL

Average: 5.00

High Score: 9 (@4Real)

Low score: 1 (@Alldeezy, @Ewan Chaos, @creativity., @Born to Run)

The lowest-ranking standard track from Guts is a journey from denial to revelation, as Olivia Rodrigo gradually comes to terms with how she fooled herself about a relationship and accepts that she cannot change the guy.

Best bit: “I'm sure that girl is really your friend/Our problems are all solvable”

ATRL says…: “It’s ok but the metaphors aren’t as clever as she thinks,” @a_d_22 wrote. @Alldeezy “could not stand this song and I still had to skip it for the 2nd listen.” @Ewan Chaos was enraged. “THIS is the song she chose to be the longest on the album LMFAOOOOO,” he ranted. “Can she PLEASE stop doing ballads or at least cut it down to like 2 ballads on the album???”

Listening to the album front to back made me not hate this one, maybe cuz after a lot of her angsty rock songs which I definitely liked more but had me wanting her to just sing for a little bit

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Why is she scared of her guitar? Because the Teardrops On My Guitar singer might sue her for using the same instrument as her?

Dddddd I hate you

Logical was meh to me, and some of the lines are a choice, but I didn't expect it to be this panned.

• ATRL Moderator

I think that might be the most 1's that any song got in this rate. Nearly a quarter of the ballots.

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

I like the next song. I took a dance class to it a few months back.

• ATRL Moderator

YeBspsV.png

THE GRUDGE

Average: 5.02

High Score: 9 (@a_d_22)

Low score: 1 (@Born to Run)

On this piano ballad from Guts, Olivia Rodrigo nurses a grudge against an ex for whom she feels an undying love even though he betrayed her. As the song faintly echoes her breakthrough hit “Driver’s License,” she plays out imagined arguments in their head, reveling in the fantasies of finally getting even.

Best bit: “It takes strength to forgive, but I don't feel strong”

ATRL says…: “The resurgence of the bananis and avocadis voice we thought she got rid of oh my this is horrible,” @Ewan Chaos cringed.

Oh wow... Well, my main issue with the song is that it doesn't go hard enough for such a title.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Suilen said:

Oh wow... Well, my main issue with the song is that it doesn't go hard enough for such a title.

Interesting! I can see that. A daughter of "Driver's License" but it doesn't match that energy.

• ATRL Moderator

i95BHE8.png

WITHOUT YOU WITHOUT THEM

Average: 5.03

Low score: 1 (@Alldeezy, @4Real, @creativity.)

Boygenius sets the stage for The Record on this brief opening track, an a cappella treatise on the interconnectedness of artist and audience – how hearing someone’s story makes you a part of it and it a part of your own story.

Best bit: the triple-stacked harmonies are beautiful

ATRL says...: “Random but this kinda reminds me of Sleeping Beauty,” @glitch observed. @Ewan Chaos noted “the ‘60s influence (derogatory).” @a_d_22, who gave it a 9, said it “would be a 10 if it were a full song.”

• ATRL Moderator

There is more of the lesbians before this round is up, but first...one more album takes a hit!

WYWT was among the weakest for me.

Also re: The Grudge, I know that it's supposed to be about a relationship, but 'You built me up to watch me fall / You have everything, and you still want more' goes so well with a certain situation, so I had to add an extra point.

• ATRL Moderator

mpJ2P3N.png

TRADESMAN

Average: 5.26

High Score: 9 (@Achilles.)

Low score: 2 (@Into The Void, @Alldeezy)

The lament of fame is a rite of passage for music superstars and Zach Bryan has gotten popular enough that he takes his turn on “Tradesman,” his first eliminated track. There are no complaints about paparazzi or nasty rumors to be found here, though. Instead, Zach aches for a simpler life: earning an honest living with his hands and enjoying “the old feelin' of a fivе o'clock smile” at the end of a hard day. It’s authenticity drag from a man who quit show business any time he wants.

Best bit: “The only callous I've grown is in my mind”

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Also re: The Grudge, I know that it's supposed to be about a relationship, but 'You built me up to watch me fall / You have everything, and you still want more' goes so well with a certain situation, so I had to add an extra point.

Good catch! There's probably a lot on this album that could be interpreted ambigously that way, or is perhaps intended to carry a double meaning.

• ATRL Moderator

Oh, and congratulations to "Tradesman" for being to first track not to receive any 1's!

Well, it's not too late for Mr. Zach to change careers!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

YeBspsV.png

THE GRUDGE

Average: 5.02

Low score: 1 (@Born to Run)

On this piano ballad from Guts, Olivia Rodrigo nurses a grudge against an ex for whom she feels an undying love even though he betrayed her. As the song faintly echoes her breakthrough hit "Driver's License," she plays out imagined arguments in their head, reveling in the fantasies of finally getting even.

Best bit: "It takes strength to forgive, but I don't feel strong"

ATRL says…: "The resurgence of the bananis and avocadis voice we thought she got rid of oh my this is horrible," @Ewan Chaos cringed.

All of her songs in this style are sooo hard for me to get through 

• ATRL Moderator

EFmAHLl.png

LEONARD COHEN

Average: 5.31

Low score: 1 (@kandicha)

An anecdotal ode to friendship, based on the true story of Phoebe Bridgers being so excited to play Iron and Wine’s “The Trapeze Song” for her bandmates that they couldn’t even interrupt to tell her she was driving in the wrong direction. The second verse quotes “Anthem” by the titular Leonard Cohen – “There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in” – to highlight the theme that good emerges from bad situations.

Best bit: “I might like you less now that you know me so well”

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Well, it's not too late for Mr. Zach to change careers!

I find the song to be beautifully written and performed, but it's a totally disingenuous conceit.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Last one for today is by exactly who you think...

• Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Reverie said:

All of her songs in this style are sooo hard for me to get through 

Stylistically or because of her specifically?

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Last one for today is by exactly who you think...

kedjhwehh

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Reverie said:

kedjhwehh

But can you predict which song?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.