This Was 2023 | And the winner is...

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

cyKIZU0.png

ALL-AMERICAN BITCH

Average: 7.88

High Score: 10 (@Reverie, @Born to Run)

Low score: 5.5 (@Achilles.)

Olivia Rodrigo’s own favorite song on Guts is its opener about navigating the stifling expectations placed on women in American culture. With a title drawn from Joan Didion’s Slouching Toward Bethlehem, the restrained acoustic verses devolve into thrashing punk on the chorus, revealing the rage and frustration roiling beneath the sweet exterior that Olivia must maintain. Courtney Love, if she’s over the plagiarism accusations, would be proud.

Best bit: “I'm grateful all the time/I'm sexy and I'm kind/I'm pretty when I cry”

ATRL says…: “This is the pop punk we've been needing from her/in general!” @Ewan Chaos effused.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Suilen

• Reverie

• glitch

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, glitch said:

I'm guessing that means Miss Rodrigo will be out. Hopefully it's All American *****

Your mind

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

Next one (finally!) takes us to an 8 average

I just find the lyrics here so cringe.

I think one day we need to have a conversation about her co-writer being a 40 year old man writing songs about being a teenage girl. It's giving men who don't know how to write women

• ATRL Moderator

CMXiMgy.png

LOVE IS EMBARRASSING

Average: 8.00

High Score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Into The Void, @kandicha, @creativity., @glitch, @Ace Reject)

Low score: 3 (@Achilles.)

The things we’ll do because of a crush, becoming people we don’t even recognize “for some weird second-string loser who’s not even worth mentioning.” Olivia Rodrigo takes stock of her most cringeworthy moments on this hilarious fist-pumping anthem from Guts, including waiting by the phone for a guy who said he needed space, lending her boyfriend a shoulder to cry on about his ex’s new man and setting off an international incident with “Drivers License.”

Best bit: “You found a new version of me/And I damn near startеd World War III/Jesus, what was I even doin'?”

I often find Olivia's music quite unrelatable but this song is the complete opposite. I think we've all done embarrassing things for guys who absolutely were not worth it :toofunny2:

I have to give her her 10s where they're deserved 

• ATRL Moderator

@Achilles. was the only score below a 7. Without him, LIE might be the winner.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, glitch said:

I often find Olivia's music quite unrelatable but this song is the complete opposite. I think we've all done embarrassing things for guys who absolutely were not worth it :toofunny2:

I have to give her her 10s where they're deserved 

This song is like Kelly Clarkson with a sense of humor

• ATRL Moderator

Someone else's turn next...and one of my absolute favorite songs of last year.

Why do I have a feeling like it's gonna be Victoria :toofunny2:

• ATRL Moderator

hHHzdZE.png

ON MY MAMA

Average: 8.09

High Score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Into The Void, @Ewan Chaos, @creativity., @Suilen)

Low score: 2 (@Born to Run)

With her third single from Jaguar II, Victoria Monét finally got the breakthrough hit that she (and we!) had spent years waiting for. A slinky celebration of her own flyness that’s dripping with brassy swagger, “On My Mama” is equally quotable (that post-chorus sampling Chalie Boy’s “I Look Good”) and danceable. In fact, viral choreography from the early aughties-referencing music video, which won Video of the Year at the Soul Train Awards, helped push the song where no Victoria song had gone before: into the top forty of the Billboard Hot 100. It ultimately peaked at #33, and topped urban radio, after earning Grammy nominations for Record of the Year and Best R&B Song.

Best bit: “When they say, ‘She get it from her mama’/I'ma say, ‘You fuckin' right’”

ATRL says…: “I know the Monet stans are tired of her promoting this song, but...like...it's undeniably the best song on here! It deserved to be heard by everyone!” @Ewan Chaos argued. “Okay, I don't mind this one," @Alldeezy admitted, “thanks to SongPop.”

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, glitch said:

Why do I have a feeling like it's gonna be Victoria :toofunny2:

You called it again. OMM was actually in position to win, until that 2 from @Born to Run on the final ballot.

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

You called it again. OMM was actually in position to win, until that 2 from @Born to Run on the final ballot.

Ban worthy I fear...

• ATRL Moderator

The next song actually tied with "On My Mama," but has more 10's.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, glitch said:

Ban worthy I fear...

We're going to have words, because I don't understand!

Alright outlasting on my mama was not what I expected 

• ATRL Moderator

Ezud077.png

I REMEMBER EVERYTHING

ft. Kacey Musgraves

Average: 8.09

High Score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Quicksand, @kandicha, @creativity., @Achilles., @Born to Run)

Low score: 3 (@glitch)

Was the lead single from Zach Bryan debuting at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 a wake-up call for anybody else about just how massively popular he is? This yearning duet with Kacey Musgraves definitely leveled Zach up, spending months atop both the country and rock charts and winning him his first Grammy for Best Country Duo/Group Performance. A nostalgic dialogue between former lovers, “I Remember Everything” begins as a sparse and ponderous guitar elegy before swelling with orchestral strings and whiskey-soaked regret.

Best bit: “The sand from your hair is blowin' in my eyes/Blame it on the beach, grown men don't cry”

ATRL says…: “So much better than everything else in this rate that I considered knocking a point or two off of all 69 other songs here,” @Achilles. wrote. “Unfathomable that it didn't get Song and Record nominations. One of the top classics of the decade so far.” @Ewan Chaos agreed that it’s a “beautiful, gorgeous song...but I'm going to rank it a little lower so that some other Zach songs get a bit more love.” That may have been enough to prevent it from being his top track in this rate.

YES I KNOW THAT HES MY EX BUT CANT 2 PEOPLE RECONNECT I ONLY SEE HIM AS A FRIEND :jonnycat:

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, naval23 said:

YES I KNOW THAT HES MY EX BUT CANT 2 PEOPLE RECONNECT I ONLY SEE HIM AS A FRIEND :jonnycat:

A masterpiece! And still in contention.

• ATRL Moderator

@glitch, you got your revenge on @Born to Run with this one.

• ATRL Moderator

Bad news for someone, as one of the albums is about to be eliminated next!

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, glitch said:

Alright outlasting on my mama was not what I expected 

Feels perhaps typical of ATRL to go for the dance track over R&B, but "Alright" is also so good.

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

@glitch, you got your revenge on @Born to Run with this one.

:dies:

I don't understand why people like this song so much? Is it just because there's a woman singing...he had better songs

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Feels perhaps typical of ATRL to go for the dance track over R&B, but "Alright" is also so good.

Yeah Alright is one of my faves on the album so I'm not mad about it :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, glitch said:

:dies:

I don't understand why people like this song so much? Is it just because there's a woman singing...he had better songs

It's not beyond the realm of possibility. But I do find it quite moving!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.