This Was 2023 | And the winner is...

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

2sSR0BL.png

COUNTERFEIT

Average: 7.46

High Score: 10 (@kandicha, @creativity., @Ace Reject)

Low score: 1 (@a_d_22)

With a playground chant of a chorus that would make Gwen Stefani jealous, “Counterfeit” is Amaarae’s spin on braggadocio rap. She’s got all the bills, bling and bitches she could want.

Best bit: “Honestly, I don't give a FUCK!/I'ma run that shit UP!/I'ma pump that bitch UP!”

ATRL says…: “The steel drums went the fuck OFFFFFF on this one,” @Ewan Chaos said. @a_d_22, once again, found it “annoying her voice makes me wanna skip immediately.”

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Suilen

• Reverie

• glitch

Top Posters In This Topic

Off to a bad start...

• ATRL Moderator

"Counterfeit" was tied with "Wasted Eyes," but had more 10's. Next up is a three-way tie. All have two 10's, so I had to use the next-highest scores to break the tie.

• ATRL Moderator

yAZ4xEo.png

GOOD BYE

Average: 7.53

High Score: 10 (@MP2K, @Reverie)

Low score: 3 (@Alldeezy)

With Victoria Monét playing the regal soul diva, Jaguar II ends on this farewell to a relationship that she keeps coming back to in spite of her better judgment. “If this is the last time,” she proposes over a lushly retro swing, “let's make this one a good bye.”

Best bit: “You got my heart all bent out of shape/So after you, I'll never really use it the same”

ATRL says…: “The way this song EXPANDS in the second half... heavenly,” @Ewan Chaos sighed.

• ATRL Moderator

Whew, the server is really struggling harder right now than Zach Bryan in this rate.

• Haha 1

Good Bye is nice but a bit subdued for me. Still better than a bunch of Olivia's songs, though.

• ATRL Moderator

Where are my Olivia Rodrigo haters at?

• ATRL Moderator

FDyWFhd.png

BALLAD OF A HOMESCHOOLED GIRL

High Score: 10 (@4Real, @creativity.)

Low score: 3 (@MP2K)

Among the array of bitterly funny self-deprecations on Guts, this Grammy nominee for Best Rock Song about Olivia Rodrigo’s social anxieties may feature the single most laugh-out-loud scene of all: After looking up online how to flirt so she can talk to a hot guy at a party, Olivia finds out “he was makin' out with boys, like, the whole night.”

Best bit: “Each time I step outside, it's social sui-CIIIIIIIIIDDDEEEE”

• ATRL Moderator

@Achilles., did you like this one?

Is this the one where she mentions that all the boys she likes are gay or something? Taking the wrong lessons from her mother.

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Is this the one where she mentions that all the boys she likes are gay or something? Taking the wrong lessons from her mother.

Yes, so many great (Grammy-nominated!) lyrics in this one.

Thought your mom was your wife
Called you the wrong name twice
Can't think of a third line

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

yxcZGmt.png

SMOKE

ft. Lucky Daye

High Score: 10 (@creativity., @glitch)

Low score: 3 (@Achilles.)

Returning from a brief hiatus following the birth of her daughter, Victoria Monét kicked off Jaguar II in early 2023 with this Lucky Daye duet about the joys of weed, which features an R&B bounce so thick you could get stuck in it. Victoria described “Smoke,” which also serves as the album opener, as “the beginning of a new era for me! Exhaling the old and inhaling the new.”

Best bit: “To the left or the right, 'long as it rotate/It's a bisexual blunt, it can go both ways”

ATRL says…:  “She put crack in this,” @glitch wrote, mixing drug references. “Deserved the success that ‘On My Mama’ got.” @a_d_22 considered it an “odd concept but lowkey a great song.” @Ewan Chaos agreed that “it's a good song, but I just don't see it as an opener idk, maybe because to me it felt far away from the album release and kinda like a standalone song. The bisexual blunt line is top tier though.”

• ATRL Moderator

Truly dying over here with this server!

• ATRL Moderator

XX0gkcc.png

SOCIOPATHIC DANCE QUEEN

Average: 7.58

High Score: 10 (@4Real, @Reverie,@Ace Reject)

Low score: 3 (@a_d_22)

Amaarae is deeply in lust on Fountain Baby, but she regards romance with an intense cynicism. Even on this airy pop banger, with its insistent chorus commanding a lover to “touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch,” she’s already imagining the end of the entanglement before it’s begun.

Best bit: obviously that chorus, though there’s a fantastic line (“Maybe we could be the remedy/Then eventually we'll be enemies”) that sums up Amaarae’s perspective on love

ATRL says…: “Touch! Touch! Touch! What a hook!” @Ace Reject sang. @a_d_22, of course, found it “annoying but not as bad.”

Just now, supaspaz said:

XX0gkcc.png

SOCIOPATHIC DANCE QUEEN

Average: 7.58

High Score: 10 (@4Real, @Reverie,@Ace Reject)

Low score: 3 (@a_d_22)

Amaarae is deeply in lust on Fountain Baby, but she regards romance with an intense cynicism. Even on this airy pop banger, with its insistent chorus commanding a lover to "touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch, touch," she's already imagining the end of the entanglement before it's begun.

Best bit: obviously that chorus, though there's a fantastic line ("Maybe we could be the remedy/Then eventually we'll be enemies") that sums up Amaarae's perspective on love

ATRL says…: "Touch! Touch! Touch! What a hook!" @Ace Reject sang. @a_d_22, of course, found it "annoying but not as bad."

Rate cancelled

• ATRL Moderator

I love Genius annotaters just make shit up. Like, someone wrote all these notes about how this song is a reference to the Hades and Persephone myth but I could not independently verify that anywhere.

• Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator

Should I keep going or just call it here and do the next five tomorrow?

• ATRL Moderator

Never mind, this is completely unsustainable. Your top 15!

Fountain Baby

“Angels In Tibet”

“Co-Star”

Guts

“All-American Bitch”

“Bad Idea Right?”

“Get Him Back!”

“Love Is Embarrassing”

“Pretty Isn’t Pretty”

“Obsessed”

Jaguar II

“Alright”

“How Does It Make You Feel”

“On My Mama”

The Record

“True Blue”

“Not Strong Enough”

Zach Byran

“Overtime”

“I Remember Everything” ft. Kacey Musgraves

• ATRL Moderator

And...of course the server picks up now!

31 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

@Achilles., did you like this one?

I don't think I did? :michael:

Olivia should not be the album with half the top 10 and with the way Amaarae's album was dragged by someone who barely bothered to listen we were all way too generous to the albums that had the actual listeners in the trenches!

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator

Guts is a great album.

rockwell-freedom-of-speech.jpg

• Like 2

ATRL is not beating success stanning allegations.

2 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Guts is a great album.

rockwell-freedom-of-speech.jpg

I was surprised by how much I liked it. Maybe partly because listening to it after Boygenius breathed some life back into me. Still not touching Victoria and Amaarae for me 

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

ATRL is not beating success stanning allegations.

Maybe, but the biggest hit in the rate did go out at #37.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.