Music opinions ATRL would cancel you for?

Solaria

Enjoying Dr. Luke productions (I was literally bann** because of this)

Edited by tjspy
  • Haha 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Gladiator

• Katamari

• Stankonia

Midnights is taylor’s best album

• Like 2

Taylor Swifts music and entire brand is a culture! 👏

On 2/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, Companion said:

No one cares about new music from Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears

But we’re still here for new Avril Lavigne :penguin:

Edited by Raphy23

Sour is bloated (yes, even at 11 tracks) and you can tell it was meant to be an EP before Drivers License smashed.

Not music per se, but the general USAmerican phenomenon of expecting celebrities to "speak on" issues and essentially solve geopolitical issues through exposure is incredibly naive, lacks class consciousness and is ultimately barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 2

I wasn’t overly appreciative of the sonic direction Little Mix took from “LM5” onwards.

12 hours ago, glitch said:

Hyperpop isn't that good. It's made worse by how pretentious fans of it have become, who seem to think they have superior taste to everyone else

99.9% of hyperpop is trash and I associate the genre with catty gay men who make being gay a personality trait.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

Kylie's massive discography is underrated, she is underrated as a musician and SINGER (check her operatic vocals), and flawless GEMS of hers are serially overlooked! Sensitized, Through the Years, Obsession, Promises, Closer, and many many more are AMAZING!!!

She also has some of the best unreleased: On the Up, Tightrope, anything from X era... at least the US should pay her more attention! She has been OBSESSED with American pop culture since the early 00's...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tjspy said:

Enjoying Dr. Luke productions (I was literally bann** because of this)

We know hundreds of producers can do what he does, so yes making it a point to praise him is weird.

11 hours ago, SuperCiC1 said:

We know hundreds of producers can do what he does, so yes making it a point to praise him is weird.

That doesn't change the fact that I really enjoy his productions. 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:29 PM, Katamari said:

I think Kylie’s first album is one of her best oop 

Oooooh messy, but I agree. To add, Danni's Neon Nights is infinitely better than Fever.

Hmmmm maybe that ARTPOP is the epitome of art in pop?  :eddie:

Or Beyonce and Taylor could manage anything close to what they are nowadays in previous decades since marketing weren't developed that much? :eddie:

Country > Pop

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Flowers is such an awful song, it only blowed up for the Liam controversy.

• Like 1

Taylor Swift is the biggest trash the United States has ever produced

• Like 1

Gen Z thinks too far highly of their own opinions on these matters. "Gen Z doesn't know heeerrr." Okay, so you're dumb and ignorant. Who cares?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:29 AM, The7thStranger said:

All of the Jacksons, including Janet, were in show business from a very young age. If Janet is just some nepo baby only famous because of Michael (the Jermaine erasure, my God), why is it that Latoya's career didn't have the same trajectory?

OT: Today's pop music enthusiasts have incredibly low standards. A lot of these pop acts don't write their own stuff, take credit they don't deserve, can't give a good performance to save their lives, lip sync their shows, use auto-tune mics when they aren't lip syncing, release too many variants they expect you to buy in triplicate for no reason, copy/paste from the previous generations, and have nothing of interest to say.

I agree with this and imma add on that the artists themselves don't have taste or drive to strive for greatness either. 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:03 AM, CandleGuy said:

If Morgan Wallen's 'Last Night' was a track on Gaga's Joanne, ATRL would never shut up about how amazing it is.

I don't like dude, but the way folks on here want their Pop music opinions taken seriously and neglect to mention acts like him in the convo is comical at best. 

On 2/9/2024 at 11:45 PM, GraceRandolph said:

Lorde just isn't a compelling artist, sorry. Her hype relied A LOT on the age narrative around her being this young prodigy, and everyone gassed her up, but aside from Melodrama which has some good songs (oh it's hardly the pop opus some of yall claim it to be) her discography just isn't all that.

David Bowie calling her the future of music aged like milk.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:13 AM, Orsay said:

The emphasis on songwriting and ~artistry~ is tired. Bring back the pure vocalists that used to dominate - singers like Frank Sinatra never wrote, or pretended to write their own music. We need to stop expecting these people to be jacks of all trades

Sinatra didn't write, but he didn't lack artistry. He is credited with popularizing concept albums in western music. A lot of thought and orchestration went into his albums. He is one of the most acclaimed musicians to not have wrote said music which is an interesting thing to think about. 

• Like 3

The day we stop treating Beyoncé as the avatar for all black women and Taylor Swift as the avatar for all white women is the day we can have honest conversations about their music, impact, and legacies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:19 AM, Margaux said:

madonna is not a legend. just bcoz she came first and was serving longevity. a lot of her songs are forgotten. gen z doesn’t even know her meanwhile they know mj and whitney, they died like almost a decade ago:gaycat3:

I literally worked alongside some Gen Z women on my job who immediately recognized "Material Girl" when it played on the radio. 

Also, your argument about MJ and Whitney dying actually works against you because death has a way of elevating people's status in music. Just look at how the sales of dead artists immediately get boosted up when they die. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

The day we stop treating Beyoncé as the avatar for all black women and Taylor Swift as the avatar for all white women is the day we can have honest conversations about their music, impact, and legacies. 

Omg...yes. It's such an oddly American-centric view too.

Hell, I have relatives in Panama who barely even view Beyonce as "Black." My mom still calls her "Mulata." 

It's just so tiresome to see people turn every other Beyonce or Taylor discussion into a race debate or making them out to be representatives of their "races." There's many Straight Black men who dislike Beyonce's music and many straight White men who dislike Taylor's music. 

Edited by Storm653
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.