HDD: "1989 (Taylor's Version)" 1,586,516; beats Midnights, 10 albums top 40

Squall

41 minutes ago, pokerfaceboy said:

Madonna.

I love Madonna but I think it's quite evident Taylor will be #1 when all is said and done. Even with global smashery, Madonna wasn't pulling her sixth +1m debut (and 2nd biggest debut overall of her career) 18 years into her career. 

• Like 8

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squall

• Enrique523

• Cruel Summer

• PoisonedIvy

The way this is gonna effortlessly be her biggest pure first week and SPS first week :ryan3:

2 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

I love Madonna but I think it's quite evident Taylor will be #1 when all is said and done. Even with global smashery, Madonna wasn't pulling her sixth +1m debut (and 2nd biggest debut overall of her career) 18 years into her career. 

Madonna was 43 18 years into her career. We'll see if Taylor can still be half as successful as Madonna was in her 40s. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

Madonna was surpassed. And that's OK. 

No, Taylor hasn't surpassed Madonna yet. There's a strong chance she'll surpass her in the future but she hasn't done it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SignificantOther said:

Madonna was 43 18 years into her career. We'll see if Taylor can still be half as successful as Madonna was in her 40s. 

When Taylor will be 43 she'll be 27 years into her career. That's not the same thing :toofunny3:

Also, Taylor's fanbase is so massive that she'll never truly flop. Let's not act as if you can tell Taylor won't be that successful at 43 when she's reaching her absolute peak 17 years into her career. You guys really need to stop underestimating Taylor :toofunny3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

When Taylor will be 43 she'll be 27 years into her career. That's not the same thing :toofunny3:

Also, Taylor's fanbase is so massive that she'll never truly flop. Let's not act as if you can tell Taylor won't be that successful at 43 when she's reaching her absolute peak 17 years into her career. You guys really need to stop underestimating Taylor :toofunny3:

Neither is it the same thing to be 33 and 43 18 years into your career. 

She'll never truly flop, but we'll see if she still has hits in her 40s like Madonna. She was barely getting them in her late 20s and early 30s before Midnights. 

• Thumbs Down 8

She'll never truly flop, but we'll see if she still has hits in her 40s like Madonna. She was barely getting them in her late 20s and early 30s before Midnights. 

You know what Madonna wasn't doing 17 years into her career? Having albums open with 1M+ copies first week. Doesn't make her accomplishments any less impressive. See, i can play that game too. Madonna had underperformances in her career too, just like Taylor had.

Taylor's success is beyond what we've seen for almost any female artist in history, 2023 alone will probably be the all-time peak for a female artist EVER. I'll say it again: stop underestimating her, it's just stupid to do so at this point. Why are you so certain that she won't have hits in her 40s, outside of you blindly hating her?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, SignificantOther said:

She doesn't have to be. She already released a 10 albums worth of catalogue as big as Madonna's. 

Stream this beautiful track to celebrate :heart:

Edited by Artistofthedecade
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Okay..I'm def a Madonna fan but come on (& forget about age) lol. Even a loon at certain x but 'what' Taylor is doing (17 yrs into her career!!) IS peak Madonna ('85-'91), MJ, Beatles, Elvis once in a generation, lifetime or whatever pure MANIA. Her *sustained #s, stats, etc...are bonkers! Concrete fact.

And it IS worldwide. Nuttin 'local' like many who'll remain nameless. She just keeps going harder into orbit which *unlike Elvis, Madonna MJ, Mariah etc..never had any real noteworthy 'misstep'. Ya, ONLY the Beatles had that nearly flawless run.

She maybe had that meh/whatevs 'hiccup' during Reputation or whenever it was lol but ended up barely a skid to the side of the road for 5 minutes. No marks left. Came back 200x ruthlessly harder. 

Edited by jamiko1230
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, i have no idea why that user brought age into this. Artists should be compared by how far into their careers they are, not what age they were at different points in their careers :rip:

• Thanks 3

Well Taylor started her career at age of 15/16. 17 years later, she is the most successful artist on the planet by far.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JaXXXon said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/adeles-25-official-first-week-844101/

Until she sells that, she's absolutely not untouchable. 

Yes she is unmatched.
1.6 million debut, Spotify and Amazon record broken, 10/10 on hot 100. Completely dominating every charts possible. 

• Like 1

She was barely getting them in her late 20s and early 30s before Midnights. 

She was #1 on IFPI global artist list in 2019 (before midnights, late 20s)

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, JaXXXon said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/adeles-25-official-first-week-844101/

Until she sells that, she's absolutely not untouchable. 

OTHs really running out of talking points huh

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

legendary :clap3:

Edited by Sabrina Carpenter

I cannot understand why Billboard is reporting 250,000 units on the first day, and HDD is projecting 1.5 million. Is it because Luminate has not received all of the information yet?  I thought that pre-orders were included in the first-day sales. I cannot believe that there could be such a big discrepancy between HDD and Billboard. I hope there is no trickery going on here. Have the Pre-orders not been submitted yet by the web store, etc?

1 hour ago, Enrique523 said:

No, Taylor hasn't surpassed Madonna yet. There's a strong chance she'll surpass her in the future but she hasn't done it yet.

She has already surpassed Madonna. In fact, she has surpassed every single female artist in history at this point and I’m not even a Taylor stan. :toofunny3:

• Thumbs Down 1

41 minutes ago, TayGod said:

I cannot understand why Billboard is reporting 250,000 units on the first day, and HDD is projecting 1.5 million. Is it because Luminate has not received all of the information yet?  I thought that pre-orders were included in the first-day sales. I cannot believe that there could be such a big discrepancy between HDD and Billboard. I hope there is no trickery going on here. Have the Pre-orders not been submitted yet by the web store, etc?

No, pre-orders are not included in first day sales. It’s estimated she did close to 1 million if not higher than 1 million in pre-orders alone. 250k refers to the units moved on just the first day alone. She’s coming close to midnights, if not beating it if streaming holds up. 

46 minutes ago, TayGod said:

It may just be that Billboard reported things differently this time and excluded preorders from “first day” sales, unlike past articles, or that they and HDD are aware of them but they haven’t been fully processed by Luminate yet and can’t be accurately reported on.

Just now, Cruel Summer said:

It may just be that Billboard reported things differently this time and excluded preorders from “first day” sales, unlike past articles, or that they and HDD are aware of them but they haven’t been fully processed by Luminate yet and can’t be accurately reported on.

I hope so! Because I wouldn't expect HDD to be way off like that! I am not worried. Just find it odd!

Good lord she's unmatched. 

yVBlpDw.gif

Let the girls breathe Blondie, you'd be nearly doubling the biggest 1st week for 99% of artists even if we remove 1M SPS from your total.

yVBlpDw.gif

• Thanks 1

earth shattering success. where are the haters who were going at it in some topics about her sales. I wanna see if their favs pulled multiple albums with 1 million plus in its first week. :suburban::suburban::suburban::suburban:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.