Bonnie McKee - “Hot City”

BlackJesus

It's out in NZ and it's another major bop :jamming: 

She's really giving us everything we want and need!

I think on first listen I like SLAY a bit more, but this is incredible as well!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZENO

• postergirl

• JayG

• SpaceOddity

20 minutes ago, SpaceOddity said:

She's indie, right? She might make a few thousand copies to sell through her site or something. 

She is yeah and it would make sense imo. She talked about hypotetically having a label to support her in the lates interview I posted, basically highlighting the fact that it would be nice to have one mostly because of its funds to produce music and collaterals.

I think it's a pretty intricate topic when it comes to contemporary western music. The GP got used to simpler and shorter productions and I don't see any mainstream western artist having music with the same type of spark Bonnie's music has. Bonnie McKee is a name who genuinely crafted the Early 10s pop sound, and that sound is maximalist, rich and overall complex in the best way possible (imo). Right now K-Pop is the only active stage (on a mainstream type of level) which incorporates that kind of complexity, although it also mixes different genres depending on the artist/project.

Now, TikTok has its own world which is often keen on reviving things a living eras of the past, and I personally believe Bonnie could start a movement to revive the Early 10s as she's one of the original artists who, as I said, made the Early 10s sound the way they sounded. She could build a proper cult following that way and she would be able to differentiate herself from the rest of the scene. Like, she could be a Carly Rae-sized Early 10s-sounding diva, which imo is just the best of the best. To do so, I think a small to mid sized label would be best as she would be able to keep (most of) her freedom while having support. A big label could possibly water the whole vision down to and force idiotic things such as having no bridges, no third choruses, no second verse and so on just to appeal the masses.

Edited by ZENO
  • Like 1

WHAT A SMASH

another banger for miss mckee. I still love Slay more but this is another great song. Cannot wait for the album!! 

(somehow I'm glad she's only releasing it now, cause I wasnt a fan around 2013. I loved American Girl but only digged into her during her EP)

It seems like she signed a contract with a label/distributor. Unlike SLAY which was released under Bonnie McKee Music, HC is released under “Snafu Records”.

6 minutes ago, ZENO said:

She is yeah and it would make sense imo. She talked about hypotetically having a label to support her in the lates interview I posted, basically highlighting the fact that it would be nice to have one mostly because of its funds to produce music and collaterals.

I think it's a pretty intricate topic when it comes to contemporary western music. The GP got used to simpler and shorter productions and I don't see any mainstream western artist having music with the same type of spark Bonnie's music has. Bonnie McKee is a name who genuinely crafted the Early 10s pop sound, and that sound is maximalist, rich and overall complex in the best way possible (imo). Right now K-Pop is the only active stage (on a mainstream type of level) which incorporates that kind of complexity, although it also mixes different genres depending on the artist/project.

Now, TikTok has its own world which is often keen on reviving things a living eras of the past, and I personally believe Bonnie could start a movement to revive the Early 10s as she's one of the original artists who, as I said, made the Early 10s sound the way they sounded. She could build a proper cult following that way and she would be able to differentiate herself from the rest of the scene. Like, she could be a Carly Rae-sized Early 10s-sounding diva, which imo is just the best of the best. To do so, I think a small to mid sized label would be best as she would be able to keep (most of) her freedom while having support. A big label could possibly water the whole vision down to and force idiotic things such as having no bridges, no third choruses, no second verse and so on just to appeal the masses.

Yeah, tik tok is basically her most realistic shot at gaining some actual momentum and land a deal. People love her sharing her songwriter experiences with bigger popstars but  I do think she can get a bit too millennial type of corny with the way she uses tik tok so I don't know how captivating it is for younger people. Her best case scenario would be a song from the album blowing up and doing good streaming numbers. 

5 minutes ago, SpaceOddity said:

Yeah, tik tok is basically her most realistic shot at gaining some actual momentum and land a deal. People love her sharing her songwriter experiences with bigger popstars but  I do think she can get a bit too millennial type of corny with the way she uses tik tok so I don't know how captivating it is for younger people. Her best case scenario would be a song from the album blowing up and doing good streaming numbers. 

In terms of songs blowing up, I think she could try to make an edit of I Wanna F Call You for TikTok replacing the phone notification's sound in the bridge with Grindr's and let the gays Padam it all the way up.

"You guys, don't let me text him
Do not let me text him

[GRINDR'S]
Oh my God, it's him
I mean... really?
It hasn't been two days yet, bro, relax"

+ CHORUS AND CHOREO

Edited by ZENO
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, TakeYouToHell said:

It seems like she signed a contract with a label/distributor. Unlike SLAY which was released under Bonnie McKee Music, HC is released under “Snafu Records”.

I guess it's a distribution deal as she's not on the roaster they got on their website (?)

Needed time to get used to new SLAY but this one is 100% much better than the leak, love some production tweaks here and there :ducky: How badly I've prayed for inclusion of the guitar solo from that one performance though :superman:

Guys.

I'm feeling emotional. This is... PERFECT. I'm speechless. This is even better than the already amazing version that leaked last year. The intro alone is so magical, the added synths throughout the song, everything. I haven't felt so moved by a music release in literally years and I'm so thankful I'm able to let my "groupie" side see the light again thanks to Bonnie. This whole album is set to become an album I'll forever love and I cannot wait to listen to it non-stop. LET'S GO TO HOT CITYYYYYYYYYYYYY :flame:

• Like 4

She just announced on Instagram Live she has ANOTHER FULL ALBUM shes releasing after this one... GURL SLAY

• Like 2

I lit could picture teenage me bopping to the song :jonny5:

Bonnie made magic with this 

Another hit single. Cannot wait to see/hear what's coming next.

She confirmed on IG live that there will be a vinyl of the album and a limited run of Bombastic on vinyl!

She didn't say when the album is out though. She's also still toying with the idea of re-recording American Girl for the album because a lot of people have been asking for it.

• Like 2

Gurl, I am SO GLAD I'm alive to see this happen lmfao, my inner child is SCREAMING... age is just a number y'all, never give up, you can make it at any age, **** AGE, SLAY

This is ******* amazing.  I’ll be honest, I was never too impressed with this song. I liked it but I liked most of the other tracks more… but this is literally flawless. The demo just sounds so empty compared to this. 

Does anyone know if Sleepwalker is going to be on this album? 

10 minutes ago, Prism said:

Does anyone know if Sleepwalker is going to be on this album? 

I think the whole idea of the album is to rerecord the songs that were never released. Unfortunately Sleepwalker was released as a promotional single. Would be fun of her to rerecord all the songs including AG and Sleepwalker but we’ll see

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.