This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

Seated

Calling too much, you're breaking my phone, mad when you do and sad when you don't

ExJc6yF.png

The first song to leave today is “Yuck”. Charli wrote “Yuck” about her struggle with being smothered by a lover, which she says might be caused by her only-child syndrome. The funny, sassy lyrics cruise over a smooth, funky beat and create one of the most sing-along-able moments of the album. Supposedly, there was going to be a video released for the song which would have been filmed in the backstage area of various concerts Charli performed at on the CRASH tour. However, this never came to fruition. @cockatoo says “I like this melodically, but the lyrics are quite cringe”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - halcyonday

10 - 4Real

10 - Rev8

10 - beomgyu

10 - NewStanner

Haters (0s and 1s):

0 - @Temporal

Edited by greento

Reach inside and hold you close, I won't leave you on your own

IBLgI79.png

The title track of Rina Sawayama’s sophomore album is next out. “Hold The Girl” was reportedly written after a therapy session and sees Rina on a journey of healing and reconnecting with her inner child. The song’s production mirrors the internal journey of Rina as it glitches between orchestral elements and dance-pop, R&B-esque sounds.  Her vocals really shine through on this track; she employs the use of a key change to elevate the dramatic finale of the song. @supaspaz deduces “This is so Gaga-coded.” while @Ewan Chaos exclaims “Yass the garage and the bridge into the last chorus”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @NewStanner

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - Miichael

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - jacklovesyou1

Gays liked Yuck because it reminded them of their commitment issues

Edited by cockatoo

• ATRL Moderator

Woah HTG title track out.  

3 minutes ago, greento said:

one album is getting a massacre next :jonny5:

Hold the Girl inshallah :campfire:

5 minutes ago, greento said:

one album is getting a massacre next :jonny5:

Tuvalu hopefully :duca:

Just me and all of my cousins know, blue eyes, we are the sensitive ones

hhlb14I.png

“Bends” is Carly’s next song to exit the rate. In one of the deepest moments of Carly’s career, she sings softly over glistening synths about the loss of her grandmother, who passed away during the pandemic. Carly said she intended for the production to evoke a “sad, communal feeling” that she shared with her family members as a result. This might just be my favourite Carly song ever, I’ve listened to it over 100 times and still never get tired of it. @pavi says “This song's like a warm, soothing hug :heart2: “ and @supaspaz felt similarly “Feels like a warm embrace, even if it emerged from tragedy.” @Miichael would like Carly to explore more of this type of music “Love the euphoric dreamy vibes of this, she should honestly do a whole EP in this style”. Can't believe someone had the heart to give this masterpiece a 1 smh. :spin:

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @greento

10 - Sanguine

10 - TRF.

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - Temporal

10 - madonnas

10 - kimberly

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Born to Run

28 minutes ago, NewStanner said:

Not the best song from Crash gone, yuck indeed :biblio:

@greento I gave it a 10 too tho

Literally the best song on Crash :biblio:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewStanner said:

Beach freaking House... is higher... than this masterpiece... Y'all are just the worst, I-

Phase 1 - Denial

613a1e5decce0.image.png?crop=1024,538,0,19&resize=438,230&order=crop,resize

Phase 2 - Anger

spacer.png

Phase 3 - Bargaining

spacer.png

Phase 4 - Depression

spacer.png

Phase 5 - Acceptance

spacer.png

@halcyonday help me, I can't deal with these tasteless *** in here anymore

These tasteless hoes I CANT this one is a masterpiece 

• Like 1

I've got a beach house in Malibu, and I'm probably gonna hurt your feelings

nTWHlJC.png

It's two in a row for Carly, as she loses the controversial, yet endearing, single “Beach House”. The track sees Carly express her frustration with dating app culture and she relates her encounter with meeting someone, who invited her to his beach house in Malibu, whilst he was already in a relationship. She calls the song “a summery slice of Euro pop about what it feels like to be a woman in her 30s navigating dating apps”. Carly’s bandmates feature as guest vocalists on the track. @Virgos Groove explains how this song is what finally made Carly click with him: “Even though I respect her talents and won’t deny her music is “good” in an objective sense, her discography has never fully clicked with me. It’s like pop music made by Harvard scientists. This is the exception. Imperfect, sure, but filled with character.” @supaspaz says “I get the initial hate, but it turns out the song is actually pretty damn funny and maybe just too avant-garde for the masses.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Quicksand

11 - @Virgos Groove

10 - Sanguine

10 - 4Real

10 - CBC

10 - creativity.

10 - Miichael

10 - Born to Run

10 - cockatoo

Haters (0s and 1s):

0 - @BlackoutZone

0 - @NewStanner

I'm in the moment, living undercover, painting on each other

OtVQwhy.png

Next up is another one from The Loneliest Time. “Joshua Tree” has one of the most infectious choruses on the album, the “da, da-da-da-da-da”s will never leave your head. Fans have interpreted this song as being about escapism and Carly running away to Joshua Tree to get away from the stress of the pandemic. @Rev8 said “she should try to be more like Kylie Minogue more, like on this one”. @supaspaz complimented the contrast between the chorus and verses “That slightly atonal chorus after the highly melodic verse works surprisingly well.” @cockatoo said “I don't really understand what this song is about, but the hook is hypnotic. That outro too :clap: “

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @cockatoo

10 - Alldeezy

10 - CBC

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Edited by greento

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.