Victoria Monét - "On My Mama"

kyliefever2002

Dr. Alexander

She’s a prime example of someone who needs to stay behind the scenes in the studio. Everyone can’t be a star, even if you can write hits for other artists. 

Babyface stopped his solo career to write and produce, and he became a legend. 

• Thumbs Down 3

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 99sandthe2000s

• monologueNacafe

• nooniebao

• Sabandija

I think that, even though it's the best out of the three songs she's released so far, this is getting her nowhere.

Edited by Sabandija

Oh my god y’all are annoying. Who are any of you to tell her she should stay in the background? Had she done that she wouldn’t have built up a cute lil fandom that actually consumes her music.

This is the Jaguar quality I’ve been waiting on from her. Love this :smitten:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This is easily the weakest single out of the bunch, but it's still another great song from Victoria.

I'd love the album announcement now pls :bird:

what is she doing :katie:

she should collab with some other upcoming girlies like Pinkpantheress or raye

she doesn’t quite stand out on her own yet

I love me some Victoria Monet. This is definitely a Jaguar quality record. Adding the "I Look Good" sample is nostalgic for me.

• Like 1

The inclusion of the horns gives this such a sleek sound :jamming: I would love to hear this at a party/cookout this summer. I'm still excited about the full album, but the single rollout has been so frequent without any attempts at radio to help grow the songs and that's odd to me but maybe RCA is to blame. 

this is a BOP :jamming: I just wish it was longer...

wish it had a video as good as Party Girls

It's not bad, but not great either.

Smoke >>>>On my mama>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Party Girls

Been looking forward to this song ever since she teased it at her concert in March. 

It's the best single she has released out of the already released singles. 

I can't wait for Jaguar II

16 hours ago, Cotton said:

Oh my god y’all are annoying. Who are any of you to tell her she should stay in the background? Had she done that she wouldn’t have built up a cute lil fandom that actually consumes her music.

This is the Jaguar quality I’ve been waiting on from her. Love this :smitten:

That person saying she should be stay behind the scenes????? What the hell is wrong with these nobodys telling a musician to stop releasing her own music.

Dr. Alexander
1 hour ago, zeta said:

That person saying she should be stay behind the scenes????? What the hell is wrong with these nobodys telling a musician to stop releasing her own music.

I sure did say it, and?

Everyone doesn’t have the appeal to be up front. Some are better writing and producing, and are more successful and more respected that way.

3 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I sure did say it, and?

Everyone doesn’t have the appeal to be up front. Some are better writing and producing, and are more successful and more respected that way.

she easily outperforms most MPGs AND with live vocals

make it make sense…

Edited by 50thStateofMind

Dr. Alexander
2 hours ago, 50thStateofMind said:

she easily outperforms most MPGs AND with live vocals

make it make sense…

And? Are you not understanding? You still don’t get it?

Ester Dean, Andrea Martin, and more could all perform extremely well. They still didn’t have the appeal by the audience to become stars. Babyface had some success but nothing compared to his songwriting career. Victoria became familiar first because she was a songwriter. Her solo material has always come off as beige in comparison. Hence why she’s been pushing out music for almost a decade, and she still hasn’t had much success with it.

But yet, her biggest success comes from writing for other artists. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

But yet, her biggest success comes from writing for other artists. 

I'm not really understanding your point here? She can do both. Her most frequent collaborator, Ariana, is currently on a musical hiatus so now is the perfect time for Victoria to be putting out music of her own. And I'm sure the song writing royalties continue to roll in every month. Perhaps she's content with putting out her music for her own enjoyment, because she simply likes singing and performing? If some people like it great, but she doesn't need her solo material to smash to pay her bills.

Dr. Alexander
5 hours ago, cockatoo said:

I'm not really understanding your point here? She can do both.

The point is she can, but she shouldn’t.

4 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

The point is she can, but she shouldn’t.

Well then exit the thread if you’re not here for her music :rip: she’s not gonna stop doing it cause you said so lmao 

• Like 3

Dr. Alexander
2 hours ago, 50thStateofMind said:

Well then exit the thread if you’re not here for her music :rip: she’s not gonna stop doing it cause you said so lmao 

Oh babygirl…

I wouldn’t have anticipated my stay to be as long in this thread if you, alongside three other cretins, weren’t going back and forth about my opinion. Did you forget you quoted me?

what in the world???

anyways this slaps and i love almost everything she puts out 

it’s cute… the sample embodied the song. 

for now, smoke > on my mama > party girls.

This is so much better than the previous  single she put out

On 6/16/2023 at 10:20 AM, Lost In Paradise said:

what is she doing :katie:

she should collab with some other upcoming girlies like Pinkpantheress or raye

she doesn’t quite stand out on her own yet

she just needs to lean on and create more masterpieces like experience her magnum opus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.