Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• State of Grace.

• cockatoo

• madonnas

• ATRL Moderator

Here 

• ATRL Moderator

First up, Zoë Kravitz will be writing a sternly worded letter.

• ATRL Moderator

ItLk0bM.png

HIGH INFIDELITY

Average score: 6.18

High score: 10 (@State of Grace., @Achilles.)

Low score: 1 (@CBC)

Does this Midnights (3am Edition) bonus track – about a marriage falling apart because of cheating, full of music imagery playing on the titular pun – represent a postmortem (non-)apology to an ex or just a bit of fantasy? On the one hand, April 29 apparently is a date of real significance in the end of Taylor’s relationship with Calvin Harris, and there’s certainly a score-settling tone that tracks with the ugly terms on which they broke up. But the second verse, a cliché sketch of a reluctant and forgotten wife, brings “High Infidelity” squarely into storytelling territory. Sound off in the comments below!

Best bit: “You know there's many different ways that you can kill the one you love/The slowest way is never loving them enough”

• ATRL Moderator

What slur do you all think was spoken?

based off that hint i thought lavender haze was crashing out early :deadbanana2:

high infidelity makes more sense

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, kandicha said:

based off that hint i thought lavender haze was crashing out early :deadbanana2:

Oh my god, I actually did not know that connection

• ATRL Moderator

wCSLkO2.png

SOS

High score: 10 (@a_d_22, @Soda Pop Queen)

Low score: 1 (@305, @jacklovesyou1, @Norte)

After a lengthy hiatus, SZA returns gun blazing on this titular introduction to SOS, demanding respect, bragging about her Brazilian butt lift and promising candid observations. But there’s an underlying vulnerability that also suggests a woman crying out for salvation – the opening morse code, the instrumental built on a gospel hymn, the interpolation of Beyoncé’s “Listen” – hinting at the far more introspective album to come.

Best bit: “All that sauce you got from me/All that shit I gave for free/I want it back, want it back”

ATRL says…: @cockatoo called it “noise.”

I couldn't enjoy listening to that song, worst track on SOS 

• ATRL Moderator

Taylor Swift ratings killer

• ATRL Moderator

Mariah Carey is out next

i thot lavender haze would be leaving :deadbanana2:

thank god!

• ATRL Moderator

ZDNeQtU.png

OPEN ARMS

ft. Travis Scott

Average score: 6.21

High score: 10 (@305)

Low score: 3 (@jacklovesyou1, @cockatoo, @V3$$3L.)

Not a Journey cover! A year after the Astroworld Festival deaths, SZA welcomes Travis Scott back into her “Open Arms” for their fourth collaboration, a ballad celebrating that feeling between unconditional love and toxic codependency. It’s no “Love Galore,” but the opening advice from SZA’s late grandmother does offer a reminder of the glory of Ctrl.

Best bit: “Who needs self-esteem anyway?”

ATRL says…: “I like the outro,” @madonnas said.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Katamari said:

i thot lavender haze would be leaving :deadbanana2:

thank god!

I genuinely had no idea and I do apologize for unintentionally causing any heart attacks

• ATRL Moderator

Not complaining so far.  

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

wCSLkO2.png

SOS

High score: 10 (@a_d_22, @Soda Pop Queen)

Low score: 1 (@305, @jacklovesyou1, @Norte)

After a lengthy hiatus, SZA returns gun blazing on this titular introduction to SOS, demanding respect, bragging about her Brazilian butt lift and promising candid observations. But there’s an underlying vulnerability that also suggests a woman crying out for salvation – the opening morse code, the instrumental built on a gospel hymn, the interpolation of Beyoncé’s “Listen” – hinting at the far more introspective album to come.

Best bit: “All that sauce you got from me/All that shit I gave for free/I want it back, want it back”

ATRL says…: @cockatoo called it “noise.”

Oh bullshit!

Yeah I'm sure some people got rid of that song for Travis being one it alone... not that it's great or anything but just something interesting. Not mad at anything being gone so far.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Ace Reject said:

Oh bullshit!

I can't tell if the voters have been punishing interlude SZA or emcee SZA

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Yeah I'm sure some people got rid of that song for Travis being one it alone... not that it's great or anything but just something interesting. Not mad at anything being gone so far.

I gave it a solid score, because it is quite pretty, but it's a remarkably MOR moment for SZA! Like, I really could hear Mariah singing that in 1993.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, kandicha said:

Conceited is the SZA song that really needs to go tbh

About that...

• ATRL Moderator

MSOkr05.png

SPECIAL

Average score: 6.21

High score: 10 (@Norte, @Sanguine)

Low score: 1 (@MP2K)

We don’t come to SZA for Katy Perry rejects, so this lament about the man who made her into an ordinary girl – all soggy acoustic guitar and sentiments from a women’s magazine column – isn’t exactly one of the highlights of SOS. Nevertheless, Solána is a winningly earnest vocalist, and her deadpan jokes (“Heard Pilates is in, bash your windows out”) elevate “Special” above the trite.

Best bit: “I gave all my special/Away to a loser”

ATRL says…: @madonnas dismissed it as “corny.”

• ATRL Moderator

It is corny!

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, madonnas said:

It is corny!

But it still works?

Goodbye to the Lizzo cover!

Actually thought the pop punk song would have left much earlier. I thought everyone was dragging it upon release.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.