HDD: Capitol lost $25M+ from Halsey’s last album

Jonathan

11 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Aside from a few good songs, it was really not worth the hype; I never watched the film, but from the looks of things it looks like not a lot of people did either :rip:

The album is definitely her best, but yeah the film did not look interesting. At least not enough to rush to watch it on theaters 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• Beyonnaise

• Sawk

• Sugden

A label investing $25M+ into an artist like Halsey’s latest album is ludicrous to begin with. Hopefully they recoup some of that cost from the Barbz mass buying Ice Spice’s recent single!

2 hours ago, Lipgloss said:

If her contract was completed then why did they hold So Good hostage?

She was obviously dropped and the article says her deal was discontinued so that stan? Is making excuses. Lol

Not surprising tho. The promotion of the movie usually costs double the production budget, sending movie to IMAX is also times more expensive and almost always doesn’t cover up the costs if the tickets aren’t sold out 100%. This movie was just a big money wasting campaign.

12 hours ago, Vrx. said:

Isn’t this the same number quoted for ARTPOP’s floppage? How does this figure always pop out? No way the promo cycles are that expensive 

12 hours ago, Sugden said:

the artpop one was fake tho

11 hours ago, Sugden said:

this is from HDD, the artpop was from lunatic from examinar who had been posting lies about gaga for years :rip:

Gaga’s ARTPOP 25 million budget was confirmed by the 2020 documents leak. 
It stated that the original budget was 20 million dollars and they would also spend additional five million once the album is out and they’ve made profit, except the profits were insufficient and covered only 15 million dollars, therefore Interscope lost at least 5 million by the end of the campaign.

Now if you wanna look into how they spent those 20 million dollars:

• The ArtRave Album Launch Party alone cost about 1 million dollars. They also had to pay for damages to Kunst statues that were there - $100.000.

•’Applause’ MV cost them $500.000 and another $4.500.000 was spent promoting the song.

•The ARTPOP App(It’s called the Aura app in the documents) cost them around $136.000 and that was only the initial investment. They actually went quite far in the development and the app had a lot more functionality than what was known at the time, so it’s suspected that even more money was invested in it.

•Rick Rubin alone got $100.000 for recording “Dope”. While DJ White Shadow got $40.000 for every track he worked on.

•’Venus’ photoshoot by Steven Klein cost $150.000, while album photoshoot cost around $230.000.

And that’s just some of the highlights

Edited by WhoWho

The film was always an incredibly dumb idea and I can't believe they greenlit it. Even if the album itself had been a big commercial success, there was no way that would have ever translated into enough interest for the film to recoup their costs on it.

It's honestly hard to blame Halsey when Capitol made such an egregiously stupid financial decision. It doesn't feel fair to her that they irresponsibly greenlit a project they would never make a profit on and then turned around and effectively blamed her for their money loss :rip:

I mean no shade to Halsey, but green lighting $25M on her, even after Manic, is just...:deadbanana:

And to think that after all that she then threw them under the bus last year when they wouldn't let her release So Good, only for them to then spend even more coins promoting it hard on radio to the tune of #10 on pop radio and #9 on HAC...just for it to still have yet to cross 100M streams on Spotify and YouTube combined. :rip:

I think them parting ways was in (perhaps large) part because they're tired of spending money on her without a good return on investment for a handful of years now. Like someone else mentioned earlier in here, her and Katy are sort of pulling similar streaming numbers with their newer releases, but Katy's costs are likely way lower since they don't seem to push her as much, and I'm sure they'd much rather that than a Halsey situation.

All in all, I wish her well, but I have to wonder how good of a label she'll be able to find after this. :katie:

2 hours ago, Pop Art said:

I mean no shade to Halsey, but green lighting $25M on her, even after Manic, is just...:deadbanana:

And to think that after all that she then threw them under the bus last year when they wouldn't let her release So Good, only for them to then spend even more coins promoting it hard on radio to the tune of #10 on pop radio and #9 on HAC...just for it to still have yet to cross 100M streams on Spotify and YouTube combined. :rip:

I think them parting ways was in (perhaps large) part because they're tired of spending money on her without a good return on investment for a handful of years now. Like someone else mentioned earlier in here, her and Katy are sort of pulling similar streaming numbers with their newer releases, but Katy's costs are likely way lower since they don't seem to push her as much, and I'm sure they'd much rather that than a Halsey situation.

All in all, I wish her well, but I have to wonder how good of a label she'll be able to find after this. :katie:

Katy 's SMILE era definitely cost a lot too. Her videos aint cheap, plus Katy work with top producers who charge high fee

However Katy already made so much money for Capitol

Even the royalties from Teenage Dream and Prism eras alone should guarantee Katy to be safe at Capitol

Are Western record labels run by monkeys or something? The only artist that can have an album movie is Beyonce, didn't they hear how much Fergie was in debt after releasing a music video for each artist?

I don’t know why she thinks that she has a huge fanbase to the point where it warrants a poetry book, a makeup brand and a film…

It’s a good album but idk what her label was thinking to give her such a high budget, especially when it’s not a commercial album at all. I wish her luck with her next project though

The album is a masterpiece from start to finish, i had it on repeat for months. The movie was unnecessary though and probably cost a lot of money.

What they should have done was give the album a proper rollout and promotion, it deserves all the succes in the world. 

38 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Katy 's SMILE era definitely cost a lot too. Her videos aint cheap, plus Katy work with top producers who charge high fee

However Katy already made so much money for Capitol

Even the royalties from Teenage Dream and Prism eras alone should guarantee Katy to be safe at Capitol

The Smile era videos were definetly cheap sis :deadbanana4:

Well except NRO but that came out in may 2019 and it probably wasnt included within the albums budget.

O.T.: oh wow, 25M is a lot...

Still, her other 3 albums have good streaming stats, i dont think they dropped her because of an underperfomance regardless of how much it cost then.

3 hours ago, WhoWho said:

•Rick Rubin alone got $100.000 for recording “Dope”. 

The ROBBERY

30 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Capitol, I beg you to invest this kind of money into Katy's new project :heart:

and go bankrupt? :rip:

16 hours ago, Alak96 said:

Not her best albomb also being her career-ending one :redface:

a certain songstress exhibition

insta.thumb.gif.251fcfaab65589e68a852f7031c3011a.gif

15 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

The thing is... the album's sound didn't call for multiple singles and playlisting. None of the songs was really the kind of surefire hit single that would respond to being spammed on TTH and Z100. So, they tried to push the album in an alternate way, sort of like Lemonade and Self-Titled, where Beyonce knew there was no point in sending anything to pop radio or promote via traditional avanues like talk shows and stuff, so she got her publicity and push a different way.

But Halsey is not Beyonce, so her alternate rollout made no noise. I never even knew this happened until right now when I wiki'd her era to see where the hell that alleged 25M could have been spent

Pretty much this, I had no idea this album existed.

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Capitol, I beg you to invest this kind of money into Katy's new project :heart:

Girl I love that you think they still have 25M in the bank that they can give out to an artist, let alone an artist guaranteed to lose money for them :deadbanana2:

:deadbanana2:

she peaked with badlands i fear

4 hours ago, Jooj said:

The Smile era videos were definetly cheap sis :deadbanana4:

Well except NRO but that came out in may 2019 and it probably wasnt included within the albums budget.

O.T.: oh wow, 25M is a lot...

Still, her other 3 albums have good streaming stats, i dont think they dropped her because of an underperfomance regardless of how much it cost then.

Harleys in Hawaii : was shot on location and directed by CANADA. 

Smile and NTTEOTW has a lot of production sets too

Plus she had a ton of performances during the era . Each performance has set and special effects ..  I remember the Lazada one. I don't think these are cheap

This sounds like some fanfic a la Artpop. Who in the right mind is signing off $25mil for a Halsey album 

I liked I am not a woman I’m a god. But that song was not going to do much. Nine inch nails never charted much either on the mainstream charts and when they did it wasn’t for long. And that’s me as a fan of them. So, really not surprised when this flopped as bad as it did. The 2010s artists just have shown they don’t have the longevity of other artists, as almost all are either flopping or irrelevant now.

21 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

:deadbanana2: @Reverse Warholian

OT: Manic was always the better album so no surprise :clap3:

SCREAMING. Wasn’t @Reverse Warholian telling me and @R`0`K`R that this album was a cult

hit and did fine? :deadbanana: The label must have shelled out major cash for streaming payola and it didn’t pay off. KARMA I fear. I just witnessed her career dissolve and it’s fascinating @SmittenCake.

1 minute ago, Walk_Away21 said:

SCREAMING. Wasn’t @Reverse Warholian telling me and @R`0`K`R that this album was a cult

hit and did fine? :deadbanana: The label must have shelled out major cash for streaming payola and it didn’t pay off. KARMA I fear. I just witnessed her career dissolve and it’s fascinating @SmittenCake.

I fear @Reverse Warholian lied to us all

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.