• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• Beyonnaise

• Sawk

• Sugden

20 minutes ago, TheHiveMind said:

The film for the album was sent to IMAX theaters around the world and that’s not free to do  and it seems they didn’t make a profit which explains why the film was not release to streaming services. :dies:

It played in 100 North American cinemas for 2 days only in August '21 during album release week, and then was quietly released to HBO Max in October. 

Mess, but it’s still her best album, and it was worth it for Capitol to lose $ :heart2: maybe the Tik Tok drama was true then… :toofunny3: but what’s weird to me is why won’t they drop Sky Ferreira then? :skull: 

The movie was really not that good, and there was zero promo for this album so I’m guessing that’s where all that money went? They really should’ve just had the singles be:

1. 1121

2. IanawIag

3. honey

4. Darling

with mv’s and called it a day and they def would have made more money. Idk, the whole situation is weird though…

2 minutes ago, Obsession said:

Honestly, some of the stuff in this article is kind of mind-boggling. It sounds to me like labels have no idea what they're doing in the streaming and Tiktok age.

TikTok has really thrown a wrench in labels’ marketing plans. It is funny when some people boldly claim that the TikTok era is just creating more manufactured songs and plants, when it is doing the opposite. Labels are trying to make songs blow up inorganically on there, but it almost never works. Then when labels find an artist who did blow up organically, they rush to sign them offering ridiculous deals thinking this artist will be able to turn one viral hit into a full time career, which almost never works out :rip:

Billboard did an article on it a couple months back: https://www.billboard.com/pro/tiktok-dead-music-marketing-songs-dont-break/

I highly doubt it was that expensive, it seemed like a passion project, the team behind the album was relatively small, the movie was probably self funded and they barely pushed anything from the album to the radio. By contrast Manic had quite a lot of promo and Graveyard was shoved everywhere

10 minutes ago, OreGuy said:

if i can't have hits, i want acclaim to if i can't have acclaim, i want a record label

“and if i can’t have a record label, I want a makeup brand” teas :toofunny3:

IICHHIWA is still by far her best album, who cares if she threatened Capitol with bankruptcy when the music is good?

37 minutes ago, fememeist said:

They were stupid for putting all their resources on the film and not enough for multiple singles, promotion, playlisting, etc.

this. they overestimated halsey's star power SO badly. what made them realistically think a lot of people would want to stream a whole halsey "album film" instead of different singles being exposed by playlisting and promo? they overestimated her so much. MANIC itself underperformed outside Without Me and droplets added later like Be Kind, they should've let Halsey release IICHLIWP cuz artistic freedom matters (!) but without the film, such a dumb decision. 

Edited by Selegend

It’s their fault for being dumbasses and releasing IANAWIAG instead of the missed smash Honey…

Also no one forced them to invest this much, so they only got themselves to blame. And that number doesn’t add up, if whoever scammed them in the process of doing the movie, it’s not Halsey’a fault.

I’m happy that Queen got to bring her vision to life with the whole project and was proud of it.

44 minutes ago, ProudLBS said:

how tf did that album cost $25M? :deadbanana2: the movie looked like an indie movie

I think these numbers seem surprising since they are usually never publicized in the music industry. The movie itself probably cost like $3M max though based on similar indie film budgets. It'd be cool if they provided a better breakdown estimate of all costs since $25M still seems like a lot? 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

Well the movie being an IMAX special was dumb :skull: It's cool I guess but people weren't going to check for her like that. Halsey has had big hits but ultimately she's still a niche artist and wasn't really acclaimed (until this album).

flopping with quality

not many ppl can do that to be fair 

IMG_5742.gif

5 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

It’s their fault for being dumbasses and releasing IANAWIAG instead of the missed smash Honey…

Also no one forced them to invest this much, so they only got themselves to blame. And that number doesn’t add up, if whoever scammed them in the process of doing the movie, it’s not Halsey’a fault.

I’m happy that Queen got to bring her vision to life with the whole project and was proud of it.

Right? Honey had smash written all over it, I'm still bitter they did NOTHING with it...

They shouldn't have invested that much in it. The album was never gonna smash.

Was If I Can’t Have Hits I Want Payola the album that had a movie come out with it? No wonder they lost money with that 

15 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

I highly doubt it was that expensive, it seemed like a passion project, the team behind the album was relatively small, the movie was probably self funded and they barely pushed anything from the album to the radio. By contrast Manic had quite a lot of promo and Graveyard was shoved everywhere

This. 

17 minutes ago, Machete said:

Then when labels find an artist who did blow up organically, they rush to sign them offering ridiculous deals thinking this artist will be able to turn one viral hit into a full time career, which almost never works out :rip:

Columbia signing Rosa Linn because that Eurovision song blew up on TikTok...

She has several big multiplatinum hits on her own accord but they almost always needed a pretty big push to get going and her recurrent streams apart from Without Me aren't impressive at all... Bad At Love which is her 2nd biggest solo hit does like 150k on Spotify 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.