HDD: Capitol lost $25M+ from Halsey’s last album

Jonathan

Halsey’s 2020 album, Manic, did almost 3m in activity and was the justification for an expensive re-up; 2021 follow-up If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power, by contrast, has done just under 600k. Many gatekeepers considered that album, helmed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, to be a major misstep, an ill-fated attempt to be cool that alienated fans.

A $25m+ unrecouped position, according to the scuttlebutt, was the straw that broke the camel’s back with respect to an artist who hasn’t streamed strongly for the past few years. Halsey’s UMPG deal was also discontinued.

LINK

interesting read to say the least :eek: 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• Beyonnaise

• Sawk

• Sugden

Not her best albomb also being her career-ending one :redface:

if it's true then i'm not surprised Capitol wanted her to go more pop :deadbanana: but kudos to them for following halsey's concept for love & power :clap3:

$25m?! What are they spending the money on?? Am I missing something or????

Isn’t this the same number quoted for ARTPOP’s floppage? How does this figure always pop out? No way the promo cycles are that expensive 

It's still crazy to me they let her go considering how much they've invested in her career overall (then again maybe that investment has always been bigger than her success?)

2 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

she made a whole film for the album

2 minutes ago, Vrx. said:

Isn’t this the same number quoted for ARTPOP’s floppage? How does this figure always pop out? No way the promo cycles are that expensive 

the artpop one was fake tho

I’m surprised since the film looked not good

2 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

The film for the album was sent to IMAX theaters around the world and that’s not free to do  and it seems they didn’t make a profit which explains why the film was not release to streaming services. :dies:

And yet she was crying about her label forcing her to make some tik toks 

They were stupid for putting all their resources on the film and not enough for multiple singles, promotion, playlisting, etc.

Aside from a few good songs, it was really not worth the hype; I never watched the film, but from the looks of things it looks like not a lot of people did either :rip:

Halsey was doing really good numbers on streaming after Manic, but this kind of investment is crazy considering that her success was not driven by a large and loyal fanbase. She could bomb at any moment.

well it wasn’t a commercial album at all and definitely didn’t alienate her fans, pretty sure it’s considered her best

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.