ATRL March Madness 2023 | WINNER!

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator

TIEBREAKER

First song to receive five votes wins.

(16) "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" Cyndi Lauper vs. (2) "Heaven" DJ Sammy and Yanou ft. Do

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• touya kinomoto

• prézli

• naval23

• ATRL Moderator

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! 

"Heaven" DJ Sammy and Yanou ft. Do

• ATRL Moderator

Heaven 

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

• ATRL Moderator

She's so unusual...and also a winner. Cyndi takes it. Updating now!

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ae61fe65663c90a

• ATRL Moderator

3uoJNuS.png

Who could have predicted this is where we would wind up after the Elite Eight? The regional finals ended with two top seeds fending off another challenge...and two entirely unexpected underdog contenders continuing to upend the draw. #15 "Don't Leave Me This Way" shocked #1 "I Will Always Love You" with a narrow victory in this Houston-on-Houston throwdown, while #16 "Girls Just Wanted to Have Fun" sent #2 "Heaven" to the afterlife in the first tiebreaker of the tournament. Can either of these tracks become the lowest-ranking entry to make the championship of ATRL March Madness? First they'll have to get through some tough competition from #1 "It's My Life" and #1 "Torn", respectively, who showed little mercy against #3 "Killing Me Softly" and #15 "Valerie."

(1) "It's My Life" No Doubt def. (3) "Killing Me Softly" The Fugees [17-11]

(1) "Torn" Natalie Imbruglia def. (15) "Valerie" Mark Ronson [16-12]

(16) "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" Cyndi Lauper def. (2) "Heaven" DJ Sammy and Yanou [14*-14]

(15) "Don't Leave Me This Way" Thelma Houston def. (1) "I Will Always Love You" Whitney Houston [15-13]

With that, we move on to the Final Four of ATRL March Madness, where four reimagined renditions continue to chase the title of the most indispensable cover. All of these hopefuls, each representing a different decade from the '70s through the '00s, have proved their bona fides by making it this far, but only two will get a shot at the crown. Check out the updated draw below:

aLJZye8.jpg

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, kandicha said:

The upsets! :eek:

The tournament has been very unpredictable this year!

"Heaven" noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I saw your notification too late :weeps: 

But at least Thelma made it through!  :party: :party:  :party:  :party:  

And I love Natalie, but again, who honestly thinks of it as a "cover."  Like, yes, it technically is, but did she even acknowledge the Ednaswap version while promoting it on TV and radio??  I just can't think of "Torn" as being an "indispensable cover" in the collective consciousness... :michael: 

Anyway, let's appreciate Queen Natalie's actual cover songs, including my personal favorite:

PLS NOT HEAVEN! I-

Torn for the win

20 minutes ago, andresg770 said:

And I love Natalie, but again, who honestly thinks of it as a "cover."  Like, yes, it technically is, but did she even acknowledge the Ednaswap version while promoting it on TV and radio??  I just can't think of "Torn" as being an "indispensable cover" in the collective consciousness...

i can say the same for GJWHF... if it weren't for this March Madness, i wouldn't know it is a cover

10 minutes ago, touya kinomoto said:

i can say the same for GJWHF... if it weren't for this March Madness, i wouldn't know it is a cover

Agreed.  That's why I threw my support behind "Heaven" this round.  I don't really see GJWTHF as an "indispensable cover," either (and that's also why I nominated a different Cyndi cover before the tournament started).

The case of "Girls" is even more blatant, though, because I don't think the original singer even released it as a single?  That said, I do feel like I've heard multiple times how it was "originally sung/recorded by a man" in the world of trivia (Pop-Up Video, trivia nights, Trivial Pursuit, etc.).

1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

(15) "Don't Leave Me This Way" Thelma Houston def. (1) "I Will Always Love You" Whitney Houston [15-13]

Noooooo :rip:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, andresg770 said:

And I love Natalie, but again, who honestly thinks of it as a "cover."  Like, yes, it technically is, but did she even acknowledge the Ednaswap version while promoting it on TV and radio??  I just can't think of "Torn" as being an "indispensable cover" in the collective consciousness... :michael: 

If anything, the constant collective surprise over it being a cover has turned it into an indispensable cover.

1 hour ago, touya kinomoto said:

But is that essential criteria? If anything, becoming such a classic that you obliterate any memory of the original is extra credit.

• ATRL Moderator
40 minutes ago, Phil said:

Noooooo :rip:

Yesssssss

sub-buzz-32443-1536938617-10.png

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, CBC said:

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" vs. "Heaven."

• ATRL Moderator

DLMTW is 10000x more classic than IWALY.  Come on. We’re gays.  Let’s not mourn what was the objectively correct decision :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.