• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 99sandthe2000s

• EarStyle

• popularmoonlight

• Armani?

This is generic and it suffers from it. I understand that Chloe wanted to appeal more to audiences with some of the choices made here, but now that she got this out of her way, I hope she understands that her quirks are what make her such a huge potential. But even when the material underwhelms, there are some magic moments like the robotic harmonies in the title track and how she switches to her top voice for the last pre chorus. She employs the same for Looze U at the end. Most of these moments are courtesy of her voice. Body Do and Feel Me Cry have very nice productions and Cheatback is a great throwback. She’s captivating throughout and it just stands out.

this album wanted to be a mix of contemporary trends and some 2000s throwback. It’s kind of underwhelming that she employed Missy for a song like Told Ya and not a take on Need U Bad/So Gone type of pen game Missy used to have for big voiced R&B girls. I also think the aesthetics were very misguided, just as I suspected. Put Chloe in some ripped jeans with her braids and a top and this would feel way more faithful to the music here. It feels simple, heartfelt, melodramatic R&B. Instead we got this cover and other images that pointed out to a completely different record, even gloomy actually.  She needed a better creative direction for the imagery. It’d have made a lot of difference for her and how audiences perceives her. She fits better as a regular girl with an edge like TLC used to be rather than the latexed up Femme Fatale in a leotard we got at points

Edited by liquiddiamonds

It's cute but not a strong debut unfortunately, I wanted to not believe the posts in here and listen for myself but yh it's a 6.5/7 out of 10, i'm sad because I really wanted to like this, maybe some of the songs will grow on me...

after my first listen I have to agree with the sentiment in this thread. I'll try to get more familiar with the tracks, maybe they will grow on me. If not I'll make a condensed  version of this album with some of the droplets added to the tracklist.

Listened all the way through last night and was not particularly impressed at all lol. It’s very much giving debut album. Oh well 

Why is that argument at the end of Fallin 4 u :mazen: it ruins it imo I just wanna go to the next track after that beautiful harmony 

I’m more than half way through the album and I haven’t found 1 song that clicked! Normally I listen to an album 2-3 times before giving my final verdict but usually upon first listen atleast 1 song would’ve blown me way.. Alien superstar was the one on renaissance and Jaded was it for ESV… Cheatback is probably my favorite so far but it’s just a cute track nothing I was blown away by… idk :lakitu:

This would’ve been so much better if they added the singles to the album. 

1. Someone’s Calling (Chloe)
2. Pray It Away
3. Body Do

4. Have Mercy
5. I Don’t Mind
6. Surprise
7. Worried
8. For the Night (feat. Latto)

9. Cry For Me (with 6LACK)
10. Fallin 4 U

11. How Does It Feel (with Chris Brown)
12. Feel Me Cry
13. Make It Look Easy

14. Looze U
15. Told Ya (feat. Missy Elliott)
16. Treat Me
17. Cheatback (feat. Future)

18. In Pieces

19. Heart On My Sleeve (Outro)

:cm: 

Solid debut! :clap3: The track with Missy is god awful, but I like everything else. "Cheatback" is the standout for me.

When did people decide to stop having fun? lol
The track with Missy is GREAT, I don't get the hate here.

My top 3 is Told Ya, Cheatback and In Pieces.

But overall...very underwhelming =/

Edited by bruninho

Looze U is just too good. 

The album is solid, but unfortunately there is no single material. she needs to keep working... the sentiment is that she's just scratched the surface and she's close to cooking that smash hit.

I hope she doesn't try to spend her own money pushing anything from it, unless Cheatback gives concrete numbers. 

The album does its job at creating a body of work that fans will gather around. She needs to work on three to five songs for a Deluxe edition and try to bag a smash hit. Also, the other singles must be included in the Deluxe edition. She can't sacrifice the SPS towards a future gold plaque for the album (reaching here lol)

Edited by Fading

28 minutes ago, EarStyle said:

Looze U is just too good. 

I like it a lot, too. The Dream can't do no wrong for me

the album managed to sound more bland than I was expected. can't believe it's the same girl who produced so many bops on CXH debut and even previous projects.

I'll give it a few more listens. 

1 minute ago, humbz said:

the album managed to sound more bland than I expected. can't believe it's the same girl who produced so many bops on CXH debut and even previous projects.

I'll give it a few more listens. 

After a few relistens Told Ya is my fav - the southern baddie jumped out and some people can't handle it :coffee2:

I think it's a solid debut - you can tell the label got involved, For the Night maybe should've stayed on the tracklist, but I still like it overall

Excited to see her perform this on tour w/ the fans

This is solid 

it's not a bad album it just lacks personality and identity, especially when compared with her projects with Halle.

Surprise and Treat Me remain her magnum opus and shouldve been added on here esp Have Mercy

Really think this would've benefited from adding the OG singles :noparty:

The album is nice but it lacks that magic she had, especially on Have Mercy and Treat Me. Oh well, hopefully she cements her solo career with her next album

Apple Music Top 200 R&B Songs

NE #198 Body Do

Not me thinking this was Halle and wondering why she released this before The Little Mermaid :rip:

Treat Me did not deserve a spot on this so I'm glad she left it off. I get why Have Mercy and Surprise aren't on it, but I'm sure they could've fit somewhere on the track list. I would've preferred For the Night in place of Told Ya.

But overall, it's more solid than I expected from the snippets. I still don't care for Pray It Away or How Does It Feel as singles but they both sound better within the context of the album. She def had better songs to lead with instead of those two.

Faves: Body Do, Worried, Feel Me Cry, Make It Look Easy, Looze U.

I already bought a ticket for her tour so I'm glad I'm not that disappointed with the album. :coffee2:

Edited by TeaGrizzley