• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N.M.K.

• OnMyCoolJ

• Lovett

• HEATED

Just now, N.M.K. said:

Did they? Didn’t see that. How sad and self hating . 

Yes they did. Kylie Minogue just did a New Years gig there too. 

1 minute ago, Shelter said:

Yes they did. Kylie Minogue just did a New Years gig there too. 

Sad. If it was a state sponsored one then it’s definitely inexcusable imo

5 minutes ago, N.M.K. said:

Yes she is a global legend. MJ too.  But my question is - for a gay rights supporter coming off a queer influenced album, should she be performing for government officials who are currently actively oppressing and imprisoning gay people. 

As an artist, you would be surprised how many people she is inspiring right now in that very country, who are gay, and hearing her lyrics.

One of my earliest memories growing up in TN was seeing Shakira in the Whenever, Wherever video and realizing I liked to move my body in the same way.

Inspiration is silent and seen through oppression and Beyonce, a black woman, with access to the globe, knows that, trust me, the imagery will be there.

2 minutes ago, N.M.K. said:

That’s fair. I guess for me the difference is this is a  state sponsored event, whereas continuing to perform in America is for her fans / not racist people

I mean understand what you’re saying on the surface. I thought the same thing as a fan when this was first announced this, but she didn’t give them Renaissance. It would be different if she did, but she just gave a region of people a slew of some of her vocal highlights and dipped for a cheque. Regardless of their politics, it’s only fair for closeted queer people in the Dubai (or anywhere else in the Middle East) to experience Beyoncé. 

4 hours ago, TanjiroKamado said:

Beyonce doesnt care about the LGBT community

/Thread

1 hour ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

like any other current pop star including your fave

If you say so, as far as I know, none of my favorite artists have charged millions of dollars to open a hotel in a country where the rights they defend are not respected.

38 minutes ago, BGKC said:

I mean understand what you’re saying on the surface. I thought the same thing as a fan when this was first announced this, but she didn’t give them Renaissance. It would be different if she did, but she just gave a region of people a slew of some of her vocal highlights and dipped for a cheque. Regardless of their politics, it’s only fair for closeted queer people in the Dubai (or anywhere else in the Middle East) to experience Beyoncé. 

Yes but she didn’t perform for fans in Dubai. She performed for wealthy aristocrats and government officials. I think that’s what’s tough here for me

6 minutes ago, N.M.K. said:

Yes but she didn’t perform for fans in Dubai. She performed for wealthy aristocrats and government officials. I think that’s what’s tough here for me

:coffee:

13 minutes ago, N.M.K. said:

Well that’s why I put emphasis on closeted.  :giraffe: Im almost positive she was performing in front of plenty of queers in fear of the type of government they live under. It’s good for her brand and pockets to perform in the region that would otherwise ban her completely if she performed Rennie. She showed face as a status symbol, sang some old **** and will likely never come back unless another offer as such comes her way. What you’re suggesting is that LGBTQ’s who may enjoy Beyoncé should never get the chance to see her perform there all together because of their government. 

Edited by BGKC

The logic people use to bash this means she shouldn’t perform like… anywhere. Everywhere some group of peoples rights are being violated by the law. Idgi :lmao:a lot of gay icons and gays luv dubai anyways 

25 minutes ago, bijonse said:

The logic people use to bash this means she shouldn’t perform like… anywhere. Everywhere some group of peoples rights are being violated by the law. Idgi :lmao:a lot of gay icons and gays luv dubai anyways 

It’s the fact that she was performing for a group of aristocrats in this country.  We would have similar issues if she decided to perform for the Bush family for Ted’s birthday.  It would be different if she performed for the general public.  

7 hours ago, JorgeM said:

Comparing America and Dubai is braindead. As bad as America could be is not Dubai 

Dubai is a city, not a country. :skull:

7 hours ago, N.M.K. said:

Nah, the anti LGBTQ laws are enforced and even queer tourists have been deported and increasingly placed in danger with the law.

According to what? I've visited the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain and didn't see any evidence of anti-LGBTQ laws being enforced. Reading an article on the Internet about Gigi Gorgeous being deported is not evidence of the contrary.

OT: Beyonce and other celebrities can do whatever they want. There are problematic things about any country or government. Going by this logic, all supposedly "progressive" should boycott performing anywhere or endorsing any brands.

4 hours ago, byzantium said:

It’s the fact that she was performing for a group of aristocrats in this country.  We would have similar issues if she decided to perform for the Bush family for Ted’s birthday.  It would be different if she performed for the general public.  

Nah, it’s different from her performing for politicians. It would be like a huge hotel company ala the Hilton opening up a huge resort top of the line resort and inviting a bunch of influencers and celebs for the occasion with Beyoncé as the star of the evening :gayoncecat1: with this logic she shouldn’t perform in states with anti transgender laws, places that ban abortion or places with a rich history of racism with some laws still technically in effect as is the case in many places around the world. She is not responsible for the law everywhere in the world, she’s an entertainer not a politician

2 hours ago, truthteller said:

maybe people should start with florida and texas first

right. Like is she supposed to skip those places too? Be serious 

7 hours ago, Inverted said:

According to what? I've visited the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain and didn't see any evidence of anti-LGBTQ laws being enforced. 

As long as you take the local d in privacy, you'll be fine but if u get caught in a police traffic control or in a hotel doing gay sex or any gay behaviour, u will pay dearly for it and it happened..

Many posters will bite their tongue cuz Dubai will be the new Vegas and all of our faves will perform there sooner or later :dies:

Yes her fans that live there are not the ones making these laws and should be able to see her perform

As a gay man I’d perform in Dubai too for $24M :dies:

Though it’s not like Beyoncé needs that money. 

3 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

As a gay man I’d perform in Dubai too for $24M :dies:

Though it’s not like Beyoncé needs that money. 

Exactly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.