Taylor Swift removes 'fatphobic' scene from music video; fat activists rejoice

Daydream

I did not expect this thing to blow out like it did and did not imagine Taylor feeling the pressure to edit it lol. Absolutely everything is seen as an issue by internet nowadays.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daydream

• Communion

• Headlock

• awesomepossum

half of the world will be enveloped back into the ocean and people will still take time out of their day to be social justice cops …. it’s pathetic

45 minutes ago, LustSpell said:

People need to stop dictating how OTHER people express their own PERSONAL struggles. Mind your f ucking business if you don't like something and move on. Taylor has talked about she herself suffered an ED and expressed it in her art in her own personal, quirky way that could certainly be a way of having her heal. These people need to understand that the world is not responsible for your triggers and I will die on that hill.

100% agree

1 hour ago, coolblue said:

well i just rewatched the video and it still shows the FAT word on the weighing scale so what exactly has been edited?

So far I think it’s only been removed from the Apple Music version

42 minutes ago, A Bomb said:

Out of touch wealthy white woman. I mean, for someone who has been shamed for being thin, and she thinks this was endearing? :toofunny3: Omg the thin rich white woman think she's fat, soooo relatable!! Literally fat by what metric? Ofc her embarrassing kult is blindly defending it. Gotta run inference for the rich, and privilege. 

She's literally got fatshamed till this day. It's not a relateable act, but since you already hate her, of course you would want to gaslight about her own struggles and experience.

I'm all for cancelling taylor, but just lose weight if you're offended by it. Being fat is not something that should be normalized

Of course it's the fat white women that have a problem AGAIN. Taylor did nothing wrong

Edited by Alak96

people can’t share their personal feelings and experiences without other idiots making it about them

1 hour ago, Ibrahim said:

It's weird how people in here don't see Taylor as a her own person, but just someone acquiescing to the whims of a minority without any agency for herself. Taylor saw the complaints and agreed that her video was contained an insensitive scene and decided to accommodate them. It seems that she was able to edit it and convey her message in the same way. 

Taylor is an artist with strong opinions and an equally strong artistic vision -- so if she felt she was able to maintain her message while also excising harmful interpretations, so be it. If she disagreed, I doubt Taylor would be the kind of person to back down over something she vehemently disagreed with. 

Why did she remove “Spelling is fun”

On one hand, this twitter user is basically weaponising her body images issues against Taylor, who is trying to bring light to her ED. ED is a mental illness, which is a completely different topic to body shape and fatphobia.

Her trying to tie Taylor expressing her experience with ED with fatphobia is effectively undermining the movement against fatphobia. It is like ATRL engaging in fanwars and screaming racist everywhere. By doing so, you are undermining the meaning and impact of the word ‘racist’.

That being said, people in this thread need to stop with the fat drags, it is not cute.

1 hour ago, A Bomb said:

Out of touch wealthy white woman. I mean, for someone who has been shamed for being thin, and she thinks this was endearing? :toofunny3: Omg the thin rich white woman think she's fat, soooo relatable!! Literally fat by what metric? Ofc her embarrassing kult is blindly defending it. Gotta run inference for the rich, and privilege. 

I'm seeing a lot of buzzwords, but not a lot of meaning behind them

This is so incredibly dumb. Stand by your art for god sake. An eating disorder is, by definition, "fat phobic." 

at the end of the day, this move just creates more buzz around her, her album, the song, the video, ultimately benefiting sales and increasing this colossal opening week of Midnights even more. 

2 hours ago, Ibrahim said:

It's weird how people in here don't see Taylor as a her own person, but just someone acquiescing to the whims of a minority without any agency for herself. Taylor saw the complaints and agreed that her video contained an insensitive scene and decided to accommodate them. It seems that she was able to edit it and convey her message in the same way. 

Taylor is an artist with strong opinions and an equally strong artistic vision -- so if she felt she was able to maintain her message while also excising harmful interpretations, so be it. If she disagreed, I doubt Taylor would be the kind of person to back down over something she vehemently disagreed with. 

I think she likes money more and wasn’t trying to lose the fatty support 

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

at the end of the day, this move just creates more buzz around her, her album, the song, the video, ultimately benefiting sales and increasing this colossal opening week of Midnights even more. 

Very true. It's usually good to have a controversy.

I mean didn’t y’all want her to do this :toofunny2: can’t win em all I guess :redface:

All of the discourse around this was so freakin' exhausting.

2 hours ago, A Bomb said:

Cry harder. You missed the point entirely, try this thing called "critical thinking" some time it's a lifesaver!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.