• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ampersand13

• Roger

• computer.boy

• Wrecked

Aly & AJ walk us through their upcoming album With Love From, out March 15th!

Finally more new song previews!!

Is my imagination or "With Love From" sounds different in that previews video? :bloo:

20 minutes ago, Roger said:

Is my imagination or "With Love From" sounds different in that previews video? :bloo:

Yes, it sounds slightly different

1 minute ago, Catch22 said:

Yes, it sounds slightly different

I wonder if they used a live recording, an alternate mix or a demo. 

Hopefully it's the album version because it sounds great. 

1 minute ago, Roger said:

I wonder if they used a live recording, an alternate mix or a demo. 

Hopefully it's the album version because it sounds great. 

I think I like it more too!

Snippets are great :jonny5:

pretty sure this is gonna be a major downgrade from their last album :dancehall: maybe it'll click once i hear the full thing

The way I don’t come back to this at all :dancehall: It definitely is a downgrade and it’s not just because they dropped synths. It’s just lacking something. Sunchoke, With Love From and Six Months of Starting Into the Sun are still amazing tho

Edited by BlackoutZone

53 minutes ago, K$Ellie said:

pretty sure this is gonna be a major downgrade from their last album :dancehall: maybe it'll click once i hear the full thing

I understand where you are coming from, I think I will like it a lot but I don't think I will be that obsessed with the album as with their prior albums. 

11 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

The way I don’t come back to this at all :dancehall: It definitely is a downgrade and it’s not just because they dropped synths. It’s just lacking something. Sunchoke, With Love From and Six Months of Starting Into the Sun are still amazing tho

Bummer to hear that, I always trust your taste. 

Hear me out, Iove the singles so far. But I don't think I'm as obsessed as with the last album singles. 

I am sure I will like the album a lot, maybe even love it, it's not hard for me to realize that. But I feel like the songs sound way too similar. 

They could have easily pull out a "Punisher" by Phoebe Bridgers or a "Long Gone Before Daylight" by The Cardigans if they were aiming for a similar folk/indie Americana sound. But they didn't make most of the songs sound similar, sure is the same sound but there's a big difference between song and song. 

So far all the songs in the album sound VERY similar, sorta like what happened to Clairo latest album. 

I hope their next album is not that far away... 

10 minutes ago, Roger said:

I understand where you are coming from, I think I will like it a lot but I don't think I will be that obsessed with the album as with their prior albums. 

Bummer to hear that, I always trust your taste. 

Hear me out, Iove the singles so far. But I don't think I'm as obsessed as with the last album singles. 

I am sure I will like the album a lot, maybe even love it, it's not hard for me to realize that. But I feel like the songs sound way too similar. 

They could have easily pull out a "Punisher" by Phoebe Bridgers or a "Long Gone Before Daylight" by The Cardigans if they were aiming for a similar folk/indie Americana sound. But they didn't make most of the songs sound similar, sure is the same sound but there's a big difference between song and song. 

So far all the songs in the album sound VERY similar, sorta like what happened to Clairo latest album. 

I hope their next album is not that far away... 

I don’t even mind that they sound quite similar, but with their vocal delivery being indeed very same-y all the time I’d really wish they focused on sonic variety to keep us engaged a bit more. I think the melodies on this album are pretty weak (After Hours is kind of annoying even) which is a big shame. It’s just all not memorable at all

I could smell a bomba coming but hopefully it will lead to a more interesting album next time :coffee: 

I don’t hate any of the singles but nothing is pulling me in really.

The snippets sound good but two out of the three singles duds to me. Maybe they rushed this album a bit because everything besides the title track is giving demo/b-side quality :dancehall: Will give the album a chance however, even though I straight up forgot this was even coming.

41 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

I don’t even mind that they sound quite similar, but with their vocal delivery being indeed very same-y all the time I’d really wish they focused on sonic variety to keep us engaged a bit more. I think the melodies on this album are pretty weak (After Hours is kind of annoying even) which is a big shame. It’s just all not memorable at all

I agree, we need more variety next time. 

16 minutes ago, wraith said:

The snippets sound good but two out of the three singles duds to me. Maybe they rushed this album a bit because everything besides the title track is giving demo/b-side quality :dancehall: Will give the album a chance however, even though I straight up forgot this was even coming.

I also believe this album was rushed af. 

Won't deny the songs sound good and I'm sure there will be some instant favorites and future classics, but everything screams rushed and even demo-ish as you mentioned. 

Their past album was SO ******* polished. 

The album sounds rushed and unpolished because they wanted it to. It's a result of them recording vocals alongside the band, intentionally doing fewer takes and leaving in imperfections for the artistry of it. And when no one likes it because it is boring and not of the faux major label caliber of work that we've come to expect from them, it will be because we "didn't get it." Just gonna have to pray they eventually turn on it, too, and it doesn't send them into another depressive pseudo-retirement.

nothing sounds rushed to me, the album trailer got me so excited. It sounds classic and timeless

4 hours ago, Roger said:

Aly & AJ walk us through their upcoming album With Love From, out March 15th!

Finally more new song previews!!

These previews did nothing for me. Looks like I'll be skipping this album.

2 hours ago, Boniqua said:

The album sounds rushed and unpolished because they wanted it to. It's a result of them recording vocals alongside the band, intentionally doing fewer takes and leaving in imperfections for the artistry of it. And when no one likes it because it is boring and not of the faux major label caliber of work that we've come to expect from them, it will be because we "didn't get it." Just gonna have to pray they eventually turn on it, too, and it doesn't send them into another depressive pseudo-retirement.

:rip:

glad im not the only A&A stan who has like zero hype for this :rip:  hopefully they see everyone hates it and goes back to Ten Years sound :cm: 

13 minutes ago, Scandalous said:

glad im not the only A&A stan who has like zero hype for this :rip:  hopefully they see everyone hates it and goes back to Ten Years sound :cm: 

more likely for them to go on another Ten Years break than going back to that sound :rip:

• ATRL Moderator

I personally have been playing the pre-releases a lot recently. Can I say that I like them as much as some of the singles from ATOTB? Eh, maybe BLYHD. That being said, A Touch of the Beat didn’t age that well for me. I probably listen to 78v, Hothouse, Ten Years and even Insomniatic more :rip: Which isn’t to say that I don’t have great love for that record, I really do. But I’m okay with them trying something a little different for this one. I actually really like the vocal takes on the pre-releases (the only one that really could have used another pass is the takes they used for After Hours’ chorus). Do I wish they wrote a different melody for WLF? Yeah, but I’ve come to appreciate it for what it is. 

I mean, I haven’t heard any of the other snippets (can’t remember the ones that I may have come across) so going into next week I could either really love this or not. But I suspect, as is the case with most of their work, it’ll have some true standouts and some questionable decisions. 

4 hours ago, Boniqua said:

I- :skull: 

I really love their we don't stop compilation, I have 2-3 songs that I don't like from that one. a touch of... for me is like have its high highs and low lows but maybe I keep listening to the same songs from it so I couldn't immerse all the tracks. When it comes to with love from, I think that I will really like that record, it'll probably be on my top 10 aoty even. I'm clueless about why so many people are like whatever about this new one, even tho I understand that most of you want full pop record.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.