• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vuelve88

• Raiden

• Ricardo1993

• Protocol

2 minutes ago, XVIIII said:

The people in here saying she's not a real "Latina" because her Spanish isn't perfect. It's based on HERITAGE, not what language you speak. Are Italian-Americans any less Italian because they can't speak Italian? Why does that rule only ever apply to Latinas that aren't fluent in Spanish and not White Americans?

Italians from Italy dont claim Italian Americans to them they’re just Americans. Same for Latinos that dont speak Spanish they’re Americans of Latino decent but not true Latinos.

1 hour ago, dirrtydiana said:

Wants to be white? Shakira IS white. What do you think Colombians and Lebanese people look like?

Osvaldo-Rios-hit-Shakira-All-about-the-c
ca-2000-los-angeles-california-usa-shaki

ot: the funny thing is Ben affleck speaks better Spanish 

As someone who is part colombian. There are many colombians who have afro heritage and native lol. 

This thread is a mess... being latino isn´t heritage lol, it´s geographical and political, we´re not a race 

Of course Shakira is white and this doesn´t have anything to do with her being Colombian, go in any latin country and nobody consider ourselves as a race of people

This whole ´´oh my parents are latinos so i´m latino even if i lived my whole life on US´´ or ´´latinos can´t be white´´ arguments are such an US way of thinking

Obviously JLo have roots on latin culture, there´s no need to dismiss that, but she´s not latina because of that. Or anyone seriously thinks Gaga is italian?

Eh I don’t like JLo, but I’m not here to shame anyone because their Spanish as a Latin American isn’t perfect. In fact I’m not where to shame anyone with their language or accent whatever that language is or where they come from.

29 minutes ago, Barovi said:

Italians from Italy dont claim Italian Americans to them they’re just Americans. Same for Latinos that dont speak Spanish they’re Americans of Latino decent but not true Latinos.

My point is, Gaga can walk around saying "I'm Italian" every 30 seconds and no one bats an eye or says she's not "really" Italian despite her not even being able to speak the language.  Meanwhile, JLO who can actually speak the language of her ancestors, gets called out. It's only when a Latina calls herself Latina that the little gatekeepers come out and try to tell her she isn't a "real" one. She never claimed to be from Latin America, she claims to be Latina, and she is.

Jennifer didn't grow up speaking Spanish like a lot of Nuyoricans. 

At least she's not facing prison. 

What?

If an Indian person couldn't speak Hindi does that make them not Indian?

What logic are people using :deadbanana2:

2 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

Wants to be white? Shakira IS white. What do you think Colombians and Lebanese people look like?

Osvaldo-Rios-hit-Shakira-All-about-the-c
ca-2000-los-angeles-california-usa-shaki

ot: the funny thing is Ben affleck speaks better Spanish 

Shakira is not white lol. She does not look Spaniard or Portuguese. Are you implying all Colombian people are white? So I guess the hell with Colombian people like my friend who are multiracial (Spanish, black and indigenous) ? The gag is im definitely positive shakira has African and indigenous ancestry regardless of how small it may be. 

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

Ms. Luna here explains exactly how I feel about this entire situation.

Not Ms. :skull:

Shakira was not mocking nor embarrassed at all. It was more like she was trying to hop in the conversation to help her complete the sentence but she didn't, she respectfully waited for her to finish and even called her a beauty and empowered woman at the end. You all try to make it seem as if us, Latinos, born in Latin countries don't feel represented by J.Lo or don't embrace the way she's always spoken or felt proud of her Latin roots.

2 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

Shakira is not white lol. She does not look Spaniard or Portuguese. Are you implying all Colombian people are white? So I guess the hell with Colombian people like my friend who are multiracial (Spanish, black and indigenous) ? The gag is im definitely positive shakira has African and indigenous ancestry regardless of how small it may be. 

There are white Colombians and Shakira is one of them. There are white people in all South America. What is this? I'm a Venezuelan and there's lots of white people in my country, hell, even three of my four sisters are white due to her Spanish dad. My mom was black. 

So Camila Cabello is not white now?

1 hour ago, Guilherme Make Love said:

This thread is a mess... being latino isn´t heritage lol, it´s geographical and political, we´re not a race 

Of course Shakira is white and this doesn´t have anything to do with her being Colombian, go in any latin country and nobody consider ourselves as a race of people

This whole ´´oh my parents are latinos so i´m latino even if i lived my whole life on US´´ or ´´latinos can´t be white´´ arguments are such an US way of thinking

Obviously JLo have roots on latin culture, there´s no need to dismiss that, but she´s not latina because of that. Or anyone seriously thinks Gaga is italian?

@Ricardo1993 this is a great way to put it. We are not a race.

1 hour ago, Guilherme Make Love said:

It's not unusual for Americans to identify as their heritage and ancestry as that culture is usually still very strong within the family

3 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

There are white Colombians and Shakira is one of them. There are white people in all South America. What is this? I'm a Venezuelan and there's lots of white people in my country, hell, even three of my four sisters are white due to her Spanish dad. My mom was black. 

So Camila Cabello is not white now?

I know you’re not comparing Shakira to Camilla Cabello they look so different and Camilla obviously has a more European phenotype and skull shape :rip:  Shakira is multiracial and her nose and bone structure prove that along with the Spanish people from SPAIN who say she looks like she is mixed with Indian and African. They went in on her when the tax situation got exposed.

she literally used to look like my Dominican best friend

spacer.png

there are many white Colombians, shakira ain’t one of them. 

ya do the same calling Jlo white when we know what a white Puerto Rican looks like for example Brandon Larracuente from 13 reasons why is A true white Puerto Rican since both his parents and grandparents all have light eyes and brown to blonde hair

spacer.png

I’m begging y’all to be released from the shackles of white supremacy and stop calling latinas like shakira “white” just because she dyed her hair blonde and got a nose job.

I didn't expect those facial expressions from Shakira when I read the thread title :rip:

I'm so sorry for Shakira... to endure hearing her primary language be botched and disrespected by an American like that is incredibly disgusting.

Shame on JLo.

This thread and some of the replies in it ain’t it.

J.Lo is trying, she doesn’t have to speak the language fluently. The way Shakira (and some of you) respond says more about her and you to be honest. 

I love Shakira but she did looked kinda annoyed and laughing ...  and JLO was trying, as an immigrant speaking another language she should have been a little more considerate.

Lmao what the hell Shakira. JLo should just stick to speaking in English. Not everyone can be a polyglot like Shakira and that’s fine. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.