Update: HBO Max Lays Off 70% of Developmental Staff, No More Scripted Shows

Horizon Flame

Even if they are bleeding money, it makes little sense to me to put all the remaining money into unscripted reality shows.. that's going to make them bleed even more money :bibliahh:

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gwendolyn

• Horizon Flame

• Attitude

• orange22

This is going to be a whole sized mess. HBOMax was so good. I don't give two flying fucks about Discovery and their content.

I will ONLY subscribe if they have WB Shows, but absolute suicide and the end of streaming, I fear.

I am so confused by this entire situation.

I have been enjoying their scripted shows lately. 

Travesty!  

48 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

So.. A new streaming brand that includes hbo max previous content plus more content from discovery? 

I really think there is no way they won't release scripted shows. It will be the dumbest move eva.. 

Im confused. 

Scripted shows cost money. They’re trying to cut back. Reality crap has always been done on a low budget. This is why the 2000s was full of this crap. They didn’t have to hire actors or writers. 

33 minutes ago, Hector said:

Why are they doing this?! They had such a good run with their originals. 

This is what happens with mergers. Discovery bought them, so it’s going to be about Discovery first and foremost. When new people come in they wipe the slate clean by cancelling everything greenlit by the old crew to make way for their own greenlit projects that they can stamp their names on as having been the brains behind the commissioning. It’s going to be a huge disaster. 

Wtf at this possibly being real now???  No one f***ing cares about Discovery+.  How did they even have enough money to buy HBO Max in the first place?  What is going to happen to all of their existing scripted shows?  Hope it at least gets moved over to HBO instead of getting completely cancelled.

18 hours ago, Arcadius said:

Euphoria is not an HBO Max original so I'm assuming it'll just air on the HBO cable channel. :rip:

17 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Just like Succession, Euphoria is an HBO show that gets uploaded to HBOMax. Big difference.

So yeah, that will probably be the new strategy. No more HBOMax Original Shows (like Gossip Girl or Hacks), and instead they will focus on making content for the original cable company. 

Um the self-sabotage if that is the case. Barely anyone watches cable tv anymore.

That stock is gonna crash so hard tomorrow 

Little Ellen just got cancelled- were in for a long night. 

Edited by Gwendolyn

18 hours ago, Arcadius said:

Euphoria is not an HBO Max original so I'm assuming it'll just air on the HBO cable channel. :rip:

17 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Just like Succession, Euphoria is an HBO show that gets uploaded to HBOMax. Big difference.

So yeah, that will probably be the new strategy. No more HBOMax Original Shows (like Gossip Girl or Hacks), and instead they will focus on making content for the original cable company. 

Um the self-sabotage if that is the case. Barely anyone watches cable tv anymore.

Little Ellen!! Omg

2 hours ago, mystery said:
So just like my comment earlier. Scripted HBO Max programming that has been renewed survives and is merged to the main HBO.

What is main HBO? The cable channel? A new streaming service like the old HBO Go?

SJP must be furious. Even if they don't scrap AJLT, this is just more bad publicity that the show didn't need.

This is very weird. HBOmax was literally the most acclaimed streaming service and the only one that could dethrone Netflix :psyduck:

54 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Little Ellen just got cancelled- were in for a long night. 

So by not releasing something they already paid for, the somehow safe on taxes? That… sounds absolutely bonkers 

Sounds like burning down the house to get the insurance payout.

Hacks should be safe surely? It’s a critics/awards fave. Plus it fits the HBO brand the most. It’s the only show I’m 100% confident on at the moment.

Im pretty sure this is a misunderstanding. They most probably just cut a few things so HBO and Max wont have differences anymore. Idk if HBO max had any stuff for reality shows and unscripted staff. I think these are much more affected by it. Also Discovery bought all of Warner Media. Therefore there are other creative teams all over the company and they pretty sure just want to put everything more together. It would make no sense buying a company for there scripted shows and there big brands and to not keep them. There is no way that HBOMax will only have unscripted shows. Then the merger of both platforms would be illogical. Because the merger is supposed to combine the strengths of both. It will probably be like Disney+ with NatGeo. This is more about restructuring the company.

I’m so glad that The Last of Us is a HBO Original as I would scream if they cancelled that. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.