• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• Bey Admired

• GraceRandolph

• FreeXone

She’s not destroying her legacy for several reasons. 

1. Harry Potter the best selling book franchise in the history of publishing.

2. She has done more for children's literature and reading comprehension than any single person in history. 

3. The movie franchise is, collectively speaking, the highest grossing in history for its genre. 
4. Harry Potter will live on forever, long after we are all gone. It cannot be erased from the cultural zeitgeist. 

Now, you can think she’s transphobic. But the idea that she’s destroying her legacy is wishful thinking. You honestly think in one hundred years from now that people will be talking about JK Rowling being a transphobe and not her contribution to literature? Well, have I got some news to tell you about Charles Dickens and Roald Dahl.

The fact is, she’s also never going to be cancelled because the opinions she expresses are shared by a lot of people, many of whom are afraid of speaking up and being cancelled due to having much less power than her. 

I personally think she has said some transphobic things which I abhor, but I also think she has made some fair and valid points.

I’d be curious to know what people think about Hillary Clinton, Bette Midler, Martina Navratilova, and Chris Evert who have all expressed similar sentiments to JK Rowling and have shown outward support for her? These are, in my opinion, feminist icons and powerful women who people generally respect. They have all have identified as democrats and as being on the left their entire lives, so it’s been weird to see the left totally throw them away because they say something as simple as “sex is real” and that “trans women should not compete against biological women in sport”. 

2 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

2. She has done more for children's literature and reading comprehension than any single person in history.

3. The movie franchise is, collectively speaking, the highest grossing in history. 
4. Harry Potter will live on forever, long after we are all gone. It cannot be erased from the cultural zeitgeist. 

Now, you can think she’s transphobic. But the idea that she’s destroying her legacy is wishful thinking. You honestly think in one hundred years from now that people will be talking about JK Rowling being a transphobe and not her contribution to literature? Well, have I got some news to tell you about Charles Dickens and Roald Dahl.

The fact is, she’s also never going to be cancelled because the opinions she expresses are shared by a lot of people, many of whom are afraid of speaking up and being cancelled due to having much less power than her. 

I personally think she has said some transphobic things which I abhor, but I also think she has made some fair and valid points.

I’d be curious to know what people think about Hillary Clinton, Bette Midler, Martina Navratilova, and Chris Evert who have all expressed similar sentiments to JK Rowling and have shown outward support for her? These are, in my opinion, feminist icons and powerful women who people generally respect. They have all have identified as democrats and as being on the left their entire lives, so it’s been weird to see the left totally throw them away because they say something as simple as “sex is real” and that “trans women should not compete against biological women in sport”. 

she’s obviously damaged the franchise when most of the harry potter actors have distanced themselves from her hateful views as any decent person would :skull:

you seem overly defensive about this, are you a terf yourself?

Edited by gatito

1 minute ago, gatito said:

she’s obviously damaged the franchise when most of the harry potter actors have distanced themselves from her hateful views as any decent person would :skull:

I’m curious, what part of my post comes across as defensive to you? 

5 hours ago, Jack! said:

I can't believe TERF's think they're in some cool kids club. It's genuinely getting scary now the way things are heading. :doc: 

What does TERF mean?

1 minute ago, Bey Admired said:

I’m curious, what part of my post comes across as defensive to you? 

the fact that it belongs in the tl;dr section and you’ve posted like three times already

go read your kiddies book, joker rowling hasn’t written anything that’s worth anybody’s time since 2007

Just now, Rican said:

What does TERF mean?

trans exclusionary radical feminist

1 minute ago, gatito said:

the fact that it belongs in the tl;dr section and you’ve posted like three times already

go read your kiddies book, joker rowling hasn’t written anything that’s worth anybody’s time since 2007

Okay. And you totally don’t seem defensive at all. Not one bit. 

10 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

3. The movie franchise is, collectively speaking, the highest grossing in history for its genre. 

This. :clap3:I'm tired of ATRLers acting like there's been mass Harry Potter book burnings every time JK Rowling talks badly about the trans community. :skull: Even the newest Fantastic Beasts movie did pretty well despite the supposed backlash that ATRLers claim has been going on. :toofunny2: 

JK Rowling will always remain rich and if y'all want her to lose relevance, then just stop making 20-page-long topics about her and just let her rant. If y'all stop giving her attention, she'll eventually get tired of trolling.

5 minutes ago, gatito said:

trans exclusionary radical feminist

I appreciate the response. I seen the word mentioned a few times today so I been curious.  :heart:

2 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

This. :clap3:I'm tired of ATRLers acting like there's been mass Harry Potter book burnings every time JK Rowling talks badly about the trans community. :skull: Even the newest Fantastic Beasts movie did pretty well despite the supposed backlash that ATRLers claim has been going on. :toofunny2: 

JK Rowling will always remain rich and if y'all want her to lose relevance, then just stop making 20-page-long topics about her and just let her rant. If y'all stop giving her attention, she'll eventually get tired of trolling.

I legit never seen a HP film or any of other films. 

4 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

then just stop making 20-page-long topics about her and just let her rant.

Her rants are literally legal advocacy which includes - again - open collaboration with people who want to "bring about removing all trans people from the world". Why can't she ignore trans people? Having an opinion is different than using your celebrity and immense wealth to try and convince the government in your country to force all adult trans people to de-transition. Look at who she supports. Look at who she is giving both money and a platform to. Look at what they advocate for.

What are trans people meant to do when JK Rowling's ideal vision of the world doesn't have them in it?

Edited by Communion

7 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

You also have to remember that JK Rowling and Harry Potter is a worldwide phenomenon, not a US one :rip: The books have been transcribed in more languages than any other book in history. 

You think people in China, Japan, and India for instance are concerned about what JK Rowling is saying on Twitter about trans issues? :deadbanana4: Please. 

200 million copies of Harry Potter have been sold in China alone. 200 MILLION! :bibliahh:

2 hours ago, Jynx672 said:

Cue the "kill women" tweets by TRAs in 3, 2, 1...

You are a joke. 

I think she has early onset dementia. The writing quality plummeting, plot holes in FB, this trans obsession. Something ain’t right miss Joanne. 

2 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

You also have to remember that JK Rowling and Harry Potter is a worldwide phenomenon, not a US one :rip: The books have been transcribed in more languages than any other book in history. 

You think people in China, Japan, and India for instance are concerned about what JK Rowling is saying on Twitter about trans issues? :deadbanana4: Please. 

Nnnnn. You realize JKR has trans fans who are hurt her by actions all over the world as well? These comments are NOT going to age well. Trust and believe. 

She destroyed her legacy. Fantastic Beasts was a massive failure and WB not doing a sequel. She damaged the brand

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Nnnnn. You realize JKR has trans fans who are hurt her by actions all over the world as well? These comments are NOT going to age well. Trust and believe. 

Yeah, but please understand that the trans issues are not a hot topic across the world like they are in Western countries right now. JK’s tweets will not even be on the radar of most Indian, Chinese, and Japanese Harry Potter fans. And even if they were aware, you’re assuming that the majority of people would disagree with her. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that the majority of people in the UK and US for instance disagree with the sentiments expressed by JK Rowling?

I think some of her comments will age well, but I also think some of them will not. 

Like I said, I agree with some of the things she has said but also vehemently disagree with certain comments she has made as well. I also don’t like some of the people she associates herself with.

• ATRL Moderator

She’s so stupid.  And at this point she’s done permanant damage to HPs brand especially since it’s mostly beloved in America by liberals and democrats (who are way less transphobic than republicans) 

1 minute ago, Bey Admired said:

Yeah, but please understand that the trans issues are not a hot topic across the world like they are in Western countries right now. JK’s tweets will not even be on the radar of most Indian, Chinese, and Japanese Harry Potter fans. And even if they were aware, you’re assuming that the majority of people would disagree with her. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that the majority of people in the UK and US for instance disagree with the sentiments expressed by JK Rowling?

I think some of her comments will age well, but I also think some of them will not. 

Like I said, I agree with some of the things she has said but also vehemently disagree with certain comments she has made as well. I also don’t like some of the people she associates herself with.

People might agree with her, but at this point anyone following her who isn’t also focused on trans issues all the time is probably over the schtick already. TERFS have also attacked everyone in their way, including gay men:

z38auy83gs991.png

Edgelords in here running with “lol she’s always be rich and famous so whatevs”, like, yeah, that’s kind of the point, that she can maintain such power and influence while espousing such hateful and harmful rhetoric. That literally is the problem :deadbanana4:

But congrats on celebrating the continued inconceivable wealth of a bigoted white woman :gaycat6:

2 minutes ago, YR. said:

She destroyed her legacy. Fantastic Beasts was a massive failure and WB not doing a sequel. She damaged the brand

1 minute ago, madonnas said:

She’s so stupid.  And at this point she’s done permanant damage to HPs brand especially since it’s mostly beloved in America by liberals and democrats (who are way less transphobic than republicans) 

They need to just George Lucas her already. She’s clearly made being a TERF her raison d’etre, yet supported a wife beater Johnny Depp. She’s so pro-woman she hasn’t bothered to acknowledge Roe yet. Plus her writing has been hot relish on these scripts. 

32 minutes ago, gatito said:

They are, indeed. They’ve been banned before because of it :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.